Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM

89 posts, read 267,952 times

Advertisements

We live in Spring Valley (near Tropicana and Buffalo), and yesterday and today there have been a lot more (and louder) jets flying over our house. Many of them are coming from the northeast, which is unusual. Does anyone know if there has been some sort of flight path change?

We were concerned during the "right turn" controversy a couple of years ago, but we didn't really notice a difference. But the last two days have been very different from what we're used to.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,090 times
Maybe they are flying to avoid incoming thunder storms? In any case, nobody should think they are immune to hearing the jets here. No matter what your HOA tells you.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:09 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
They are jets from Nellis. They've been doing their usual annoying flyovers for several days now. They do this a lot, and once in awhile a few days go by where they are not up there and it's peaceful. It's just the way it is out here. Either you have Nellis jets, low flying celebrity/tour/police helicopters, small to mid-size planes from North Las Vegas airport or you have planes from McCarran. Wherever you live, you have something. You will get used to it in time.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
There have been a lot of jets flying at (and around) Nellis the past few days. Its actually pretty cool to see them in formation, but it can get loud at times. It is the home of the Thunderbirds so one can assume they do a lot of practice in the airspace above Las Vegas and the surrounding area when they are not on the road doing shows.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 PM

222 posts, read 385,163 times
These aren't jets from Nellis. McCarran has been departing to the north (runways 1L and 1R) for the past couple of days, and westbound departures will make a sweeping left turn immediately after departure (to avoid Nellis airspace) and eventually climb out to the southwest directly over your area.

1R/L departures are common during north winds and will become even more common as we move into winter. Those runways are used 50-60% of the time during the winter months but rarely see action during other times of the year.

EDITED TO ADD: Jet aircraft are also noticeably louder when the relative humidity is higher, and it's been up there for the past couple of days. We're pretty luck here most days of the year with very low humidity, but on the more unstable days the planes will seem quite a bit louder.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Those planes sure can get loud. What i cannot handle, I'll be sitting in my livingroom and all of a sudden a super loud screeching jet appears out of nowhere and it sounds like it will take the roof off. Then just as fast as it appears, it's gone. It's almost like they are breaking the sound barrier right over my place. I wish they would just fly higher or better yet, fly somewhere else over unpopulated area's where nobody gives a fig.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Sounds like ChrisKLAS knows his airplanes, and Nellis isn't to blame. But if you don't know about it, Operation Red Flag goes on at Nellis four to six times a year. Be grateful it does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_(USAF)

It looks like we've had all of them for this year. Red Flag Air Exercises

So if you miss it, buy the movie. FIGHTER PILOT: OPERATION RED FLAG

Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 PM

I bet PinkString is hearing the jets from Nellis these past couple of days. They seem to be flying more or I am noticing them more. She and I live in the same part of town. Its not Red Flag but they are flying and I am definitely hearing them. Seeing them first, then hearing them...they are fast!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I bet PinkString is hearing the jets from Nellis these past couple of days. They seem to be flying more or I am noticing them more. She and I live in the same part of town. Its not Red Flag but they are flying and I am definitely hearing them. Seeing them first, then hearing them...they are fast!
I am right in the path also. I usually hear them Monday through Friday between 10am to 11am, and then in the late afternoon 5pm to 6pm.

They may be more active in the next couple of weeks, because they have an airshow on November 13th.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Is that the local airshow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas