Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 61,147 times

Advertisements

Will be out there around end of May. Want to spend a day hiking. Someone able to break down red rock, vally of fire(on another thread someone said "if your adventorus" when describing vally of fire), or climbing Mt charleston.

I've driven through red rock and valley of fire both times I had to be at the airport within the next few hours so i couldn't really stop and walk around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM

444 posts, read 1,616,369 times
There have been some great threads, if you'd like to search each of them.

Valley of Fire is very nice and most trails I saw were shortish, only saw 1 over 1 mile. Their visitor center is great, one of the best ever. Red Rock can go from mild to difficult, but you can control that with onsight data. I know there was more info on here than I can recall. Good luck with the search.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,417,008 times
here are some helpful links:

Hiking Around Las Vegas

i have hiked many of the trails, and for the vast majority, the descriptions here are pretty accurate (for other parts of the country as well).

VoF hikes are pbby under the Lake Mead heading (at least the bowl of fire hike is).

have fun.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM

Pretty sweet link. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:32 PM

252 posts, read 906,771 times
That is a great link to get you started... keep in mind some of the pros/cons of each -- might be pretty hot at RRC or VoF (although the weather was perfect during the day at VoF last sat!)... Most of the hikes at Mt. C are pretty high elevation, so they are a little more challenging if you're not used to it. I've been to all 3 and you can't really go wrong!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 PM

90 posts, read 317,148 times
If you want more challenging, mountain-type hiking - go to Mt. Charleston (there are some easy trails too) - you will feel more like you are in Colorado or Utah based on the vegetation plus the temps are cooler up there due to the elevation. If you want real desert hiking and terrain, I really like Valley of Fire. It tends to be less crowded than Red Rock Canyon, though both are beautiful. VOF gives you more of a feeling of being away from the City as well (because you are). Enjoy!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
If you want more challenging, mountain-type hiking - go to Mt. Charleston (there are some easy trails too) - you will feel more like you are in Colorado or Utah based on the vegetation plus the temps are cooler up there due to the elevation. If you want real desert hiking and terrain, I really like Valley of Fire. It tends to be less crowded than Red Rock Canyon, though both are beautiful. VOF gives you more of a feeling of being away from the City as well (because you are). Enjoy!
Was looking at Mt Charleston. Thats what i would like to do one day. However not sure if someone who has never hiked to the summit before should attempt to do it without a guide.

What do people think about hiking to the summit of Mt Charleston? Is it easy to find your way to the top? I am used to East coast mountains in which you can see towns on all sides and its easy to keep your bearings straight.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:56 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
This is a good thread from earlier in the month:

24 hours (not) in Las Vegas?

Do realize that you will want to schedule your hikes early in the AM and late in the afternoon to avoid the oppressive heat. Also carry a lot of water.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,417,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby913 View Post
Was looking at Mt Charleston. Thats what i would like to do one day. However not sure if someone who has never hiked to the summit before should attempt to do it without a guide.

What do people think about hiking to the summit of Mt Charleston? Is it easy to find your way to the top? I am used to East coast mountains in which you can see towns on all sides and its easy to keep your bearings straight.
ok...grain of salt w/ this as i have never hiked Mt. Charleston itself (the general area is the spring mts)...but i have hiked many western peaks and know several people who have done Charleston.

it is a solid, but not excruciating hike (in terms of western peaks). 18 miles or so (depending how you do it) with a summit of just shy of 12K. my understanding is that the trail is well marked and friendly. you'll have a several thousand foot elevation gain and will be at high altitude for most of the hike...and if you have ever done much playing above 10K you'll know what i mean. If you are in good shape and a decent hiker, it should be doable. but you have to know your own limits and what you are capable of.

start early, carry plenty of water and dress in layers (weather can/will change on you). make sure someone knows you are going if you are going to do it alone.

you can go up and down the same trail or combine the two trails (north and south loops), but you'll need to do a shuttle if you combine them.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
Even if you only make it to the Meadows, at 11000 feet, at Mt. Charleston on South Loop Trail, it will be well-worth the climb, as you can look west to Death Valley and see Mt. Whitney, 200 miles away, the tallest mountain in the 48 states at 14,500 feet. And the whole Sierra Mtn. range is in sight.

I have never quite made it to the top of Mt. Charleston, because I've always started my climb too late and was fearful if I did make it to the top it would be dark before I got back down the mountain to my car. So start early, and no matter what time of the year, take a light coat along. Windchill is windchill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas