Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times

Advertisements

looking for the quintessential "community coffee shop" where the waitresses wear the classic white starched outfits, call you "hun", yell out the order to the cooks in the back, keep the coffee cup full, blah, blah........it's gotta been open for decades in the same spot, never remodeled, and packed with locals.....

can relax a couple of these requests, but I'm not looking for some "retro" wannabe diner or a chain.....I'm sure you know what I mean.....hopefully it's in an older part of town (open for decades, you know!).....

thanks for your help....appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
I've only been in Vegas for three and half years, so I don't know any places like you describe. Still, don't knock Blueberry Hill. They're a long time local chain, and the whole menu is available 24/7. Besides, you know what they say about good food. You ask a fat man.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I understand what you're asking and I'm afraid you won't find exactly the kind of place you describe here in Las Vegas.

One that comes to mind is White Cross Drugs on Las Vegas Boulevard South at Oakey. There is also the Omelet House. I know the one on Charleston just east of Rancho has been there for years and it's kind of funky. The Omelet House Index

There is also Jamms on Rainbow and Charleston, http://www.jammsrestaurant.com/

and Country Cafe, 3603 Las Vegas Blvd North. http://www.countrycafelv.com/

There used to be a place sort of like what you're looking for on Alta just west of Decatur. Don't know if it's still there.

We don't really have the authentic diner that it sounds like you're looking for. At least nothing like this incredible eating place in New Hampshire. Mo'lady wanted to move to Manchester just because we could eat at this place whenever we wanted.
RedArrowDiner - Home

Last edited by Buzz123; 02-12-2009 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
well they don't yell, but i would also second blueberry hill

for a lunch place, i would say Geri's Olde Philadelphia, been at Pecos/Tropicana since 1977 and has a very loyal clientele with the owner as the cook and he talks to all the customers, the waitresses have a little attitude but are very fun

Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
its also not New Jersey, the diner capital, but we still have some good places...

I also second the Omelet House

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
There was a place exactly like what you're looking for on Boulder Highway near the Boulder Highway exit of U.S. 95. Every time I drive by I see the name is still there, but I have my doubts that the original owner could still be slinging hash. It's called Mary's Diner, and I knew Mary from when I got to town in 1964. She wasn't a spring chicken then. My work took me too far away from there for convenient lunches so I quit going and lost track of them a long time ago. Every time I see the sign I vow to stop in, but I'm afraid of what I'd find now. Mary cooked and served while her husband, who drove a cab, worked the cash register and entertained by having good natured, but really loud arguments with Mary. They were obviously from the New York/New Jersey area. They had chili and egg or chili size dishes that were so good I always thought she made the chili since it was called Mary's crazy chili or something like that. Then my bubble was burst one time when I rented her place to shoot a TV news promo, and my promotions manager went back in the kitchen and told me the chili was in big cans. You might stop in there and see if it's still the kind of place you're looking for. I'm sure that at least one of my triple bypasses was from her chili sizes and chili and egg omelets.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 AM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
I LOVE Blueberry Hill. The one up by Nellis was the first place we ate when we moved to Vegas the first time. The pancakes and waffles are fantastic (sooo much better than IHOP), the coffee's always fresh, and every time we've been to a Blueberry Hill, the waitresses have been friendly. It's family friendly too as long as you don't sit near the smoking section (or did Vegas do away with smoking in restaurants - I can't remember).

Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM

207 posts, read 907,186 times
The Egg and I and Hash House (not to be confused with Hash House A Go Go) on my side of town, both near Sahara and Decatur, are good places that might fit what you want. If anything, it'll be worth the adventure of checking them out. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:20 AM

322 posts, read 1,270,353 times
Boulder and Lake mead has an AWESOME breakfast joint. Called the omlet house
Egg Works is good, but not old school Diner type. Sunset and Eastern.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Lou's Diner Decatur and Alta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas