Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 16,710 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I was wondering if there are any places around Las Vegas to go cross country or backcountry skiing. It doesn't have to be at a designated ski area like Mt. Charleston - I would be happy to blaze my own trail. Is there enough snow in say the Spring Mountains for people to head out into the back country on skis? I'm sure there are areas up around Reno-Tahoe to do this but I wasn't sure about the Vegas area. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calex2 View Post
Hi there, I was wondering if there are any places around Las Vegas to go cross country or back country skiing. It doesn't have to be at a designated ski area like Mt. Charleston - I would be happy to blaze my own trail. Is there enough snow in say the Spring Mountains for people to head out into the back country on skis? I'm sure there are areas up around Reno-Tahoe to do this but I wasn't sure about the Vegas area. Thanks for your time.
I've done a little X/C skiing near the ski area, especially in the meadow just before you get to the ski area, and there's an old road leading away from it that goes up the mountain which my daughter has done a lot. It's not used as a road anymore and is now more a part of the Bristlecone Trail. I don't believe the Spring Mountains in general are open enough for back country X/C skiing. There is plenty of snow, maybe too much, but the trails are mostly too narrow and mostly switchbacks which I think would hamper negotiating on skis too much. You might be able to do a long stretch of the north loop trail, as it's wider and not a lot of switchbacks until you reach a certain altitude. I don't have a lot of X/C experience (not good at it), and have never done any back country, so maybe somebody with more experience will answer your question better. You might find some areas of Red Rock Canyon would be good too. Maybe even the other side of the mountain taking the dirt road (Wheeler Pass Road) up out of Pahrump towards Wheeler Pass. For that matter, the Wheeler Pass/Cold Creek area might be good, which you get to from U.S. 95 north, and just before Indian Springs take the Cold Creek Road (SR 170) that leads west past the Indian Springs Prison.

You are correct, it is a huge sport in the Reno/Tahoe area.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM

162 posts, read 467,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calex2 View Post
Hi there, I was wondering if there are any places around Las Vegas to go cross country or backcountry skiing. It doesn't have to be at a designated ski area like Mt. Charleston - I would be happy to blaze my own trail. Is there enough snow in say the Spring Mountains for people to head out into the back country on skis? I'm sure there are areas up around Reno-Tahoe to do this but I wasn't sure about the Vegas area. Thanks for your time.
Short Answer: NO. I'm actually pretty impressed with Buzz123's answer, but he is right; it is too difficult, and lets face it; RARELY enough snow cover anyways for cross country skiing. I lived in South Lake Tahoe for 3 years, and a lot of people from Reno find cross country skiing just up the hill(North Tahoe is a 30 minute drive from Reno and and I've even seen people doing it in parks in Reno after big storms).

But no, in LV you are not within a couple hours drive of anything that will regularly offer decent cross country skiing. Reno is a great town if you like that stuff though

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 PM

You would probably find satisfactory X/C skiing up at Brian Head, Utah, especially if you can get around the back side. Brian Head is a little over 3 hours away.

Driving Directions from Las Vegas, NV to Brian Head, UT

Change the map to Aerial and zoom in about halfway. Stay on SR 143 and where it says Brain Head Peak Rd would probably be a good place to start. And you'll notice some roads that look like dirt roads leading out of Brain Head in all directions. Lots of places in that area to go.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 PM

A little closer than Tahoe, but still in the Sierra is Mammoth Lakes Calif. and all up and down U.S. 395 are lots of good areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas