Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM

652 posts, read 2,715,784 times

Advertisements

I found Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort and was wondering if it's any good. I know that it won't be as good as the places in Utah and Northern California but it looks like it has a lot of vertical drop and may be pretty decent.

Anyone been there?

Here is the site:
Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort - Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM

638 posts, read 2,248,159 times
I snowboard there on the weekends. I never get tired of it. The lift prices are a little high for what you get, but still is worth it if you really enjoy skiing or snowboarding. Its worth at least one trip out there.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM

90 posts, read 317,517 times
I'm actually anxious to try it out too. When we lived in LV before, we took trips to Brian Head (about 4 hours away) and Park City, UT (I think it was about 8 hours away) but somehow never got up to Mt. Charleston to ski - go figure. I think it had to do with them not having ski school for our preschool age child and no daycare for our toddler which the larger resorts had. That may have changed, but anyhow now that both kids are older and we are all skiiers we are psyched to have that option so close. For those who have skied it - how kid friendly is it? Our son is 10 and a good skier, but our daughter is younger and still a beginner. My husband and I are advanced and intermediate in ability, but at this point anyplace where the whole family can ski together is great! Having it be just a day trip will be even better.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,412,746 times
It's a good place to get away for the day and do a little skiing, but the runs aren't long and there are no black diamonds. The season is a little short, more due to the hot weather down here than to the lack of snow up there. Who wants to put on cold weather gear in 70 - 80 degree heat and drive up the mountain? You roast on the way up. It is a little expensive for what they have to offer, but hey, any skiing is better than no skiing. Most folks around here drive up to Brain Head which is about 3 -3½ hours away, and very good skiing, with an excellent ski school. Driving Directions from Las Vegas, NV to Brian Head, UT

Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 AM

ReviewJournal.com - Neon - Take It or Leave It

Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM

52 posts, read 213,328 times
Go to Utah or CA, Mt Charleston skiing sucks. "It is good for a day or half day but you get board with such a small resort very fast.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmiley View Post
Go to Utah or CA, Mt Charleston skiing sucks. "It is good for a day or half day but you get board with such a small resort very fast.
You get bored on your board?

Yes, it's really only for people who don't have the time to drive to Brian Head. But they are planning to expand it and make it several times larger. They'll also put in a decent lounge. This one only has a few lockers, but not enough for everyone, and unless something has changed since the last time I was there, they don't have separate locker rooms for males and females, and the bathrooms were very small. There's really no place to change clothes so you have to put on at least part of your ski wear before you leave home. No fun in the Spring when temps in the Valley can hit 90º. But lots of people ski in shorts in the Spring...not moi...but some do. I've been hearing about expansion for 40 years, so I'll believe it when I see it, but maybe they will this time. Not sure they should since the mountain is stressed by 2 million Las Vegans and 40 million visitors as it is.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM

638 posts, read 2,248,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You get bored on your board?

Yes, it's really only for people who don't have the time to drive to Brian Head. But they are planning to expand it and make it several times larger. They'll also put in a decent lounge. This one only has a few lockers, but not enough for everyone, and unless something has changed since the last time I was there, they don't have separate locker rooms for males and females, and the bathrooms were very small. There's really no place to change clothes so you have to put on at least part of your ski wear before you leave home. No fun in the Spring when temps in the Valley can hit 90º. But lots of people ski in shorts in the Spring...not moi...but some do. I've been hearing about expansion for 40 years, so I'll believe it when I see it, but maybe they will this time. Not sure they should since the mountain is stressed by 2 million Las Vegans and 40 million visitors as it is.
Absolutely right. It certainly has some short comings. Its saving grace is that its close. The locker situation is annoying especially when you get there in the AM when everyone else shows up. There is barely any room to get your boots on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas