Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Las Vegas Nevada from Springfield Missouri, pros and cons of living in area, low crime rates, good school districts, no state income tax, great weather, job market, living expenses

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:13 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times

Advertisements

We are not haters in here. But what we do hate is people that blame where they live for their woes in life, and have to slam the city they hate so much on these forums. (trolls)Until you change your mindset and think a little more positively, you will have the same problems anywhere you go. That's just a fact of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango4all View Post
I have learned how to let go of hurt and pain in my life. Have you?

I was referring to all negative haters in this forum not necessarily you per say.

I am not going to continue to waste my time defending my standings. You never know who you are talking with in these forums.

I do not need to tell you how I make the world a better place. People who truly care and do the right thing do not go around boasting about it.

I forgive you.

Thank you and to all a good night! J
I'm not trying to harp on you. I just take exception when people make claims and don't back them up.

Las Vegas did not work out for you and although unfortunate, just like any other city it is not always a good fit. I understand that.

As far as my pain and tough times go, you couldn't imagine the things that I've been through. Las Vegas actually offered me the opportunity to put it behind me and make a better life for myself. I met my wife here, got married and had my son here. Perhaps that is why I defend it so. Perhaps if the timing were different you would have a different outlook as well.

I was sincere in my last post regarding the fact that I hope you do find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM

25 posts, read 40,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
[/color]

I don't disagree with your assessment of the best places to live, but you are off on pricing. As a matter of fact, there are 27 homes under $200,000 just in the 89134 zip code.

When will people realize that you need to back up your claims with stats? Show me one study that shows that 60% of people who live here are on drugs. Completely ridiculous to think that 2 out of 3 people ANYWHERE is on drugs. I personally have met some great people since I moved here. If Vegas is filled with druggie, uneducated predators that are narcissistic and shallow, how did you make any friends out here at all?

By the way, there aren't drugs, alcohol, homelessness, conniving people, fraud, or gangs anywhere else in the United States or even the world. Especially not in Texas.

You are hanging out with the wrong group of people. My wife volunteers for my son's school, I am involved with the HUGS Foundation and donate to schools in poverty zones. I will be working the Fireman's Toys for Tots drive. There are many out here that donate their time and money to charity. How about you? What do you do to make the world a better place? My guess is nothing, in which case you should keep your mouth shut about helping others.

Are you kidding me? I can travel 15 minutes in any direction and find a cheese steak. It may not live up to your Philly standards, but I suppose you should have expected that. Just like I would not go to Philly and expect them to have a decent taco shop or Mexican restaurant.

I don't see how buying a condo in a complex that converted into an apartment complex is predatory lending. Do you know what predatory lending is, or do you feel that you have been wronged because you made the wrong decision about what to buy and just heard the media buzz word? If you truly were a victim of predatory lending, I don't see how you would still be in the condo as you likely would not be able to afford it. Sounds to me like you bought in a new construction or condo conversion without doing your research or thinking about what could happen. That's your bad and noone else's.

Blanket statements do not work. There are plenty of areas that have quite a bit of land, even in the center of town. My home has an almost 8000 sq ft lot, and I could drive two tractor trailors between my home and each of my neighbors. It certainly sounds like you did not do your research before moving here. I hope you do before going to Texas.

I can't see why it took your mother two years to get a job in the high demand medical field out here. Perhaps the position she was seeking was a low demand or highly specialized one? Anyway, I have to disagree with your assessment of the job market as well. Before the economy moved downward it was quite easy to get a job out here. I got a job with an excavation company in 1999 with absolutely zero experience. By 2004 I was working in a supervisory position and was in negotiations to buy the company. Opportunity is everywhere for those that are willing to create it and take it.

Without direct experience raising children in Vegas I don't believe that it's even your place to talk about if it is appropriate to raise kids here or not. I have an 8 year old son and I have zero issues raising him. Aside from the strip, Vegas doesn't have any vices that are not readily available anywhere else in the world.

I am sorry that your experience was not good, but I would chalk that up to your lack of research more so than the city of Las Vegas. Of course it will not be a good fit for everyone, and people all are looking for something different. But if you would have done your research you would have found out that Vegas was not for you before moving out here, purchasing a condo, short selling it and ruining your credit.

BTW, foreclosure filings are at 21,000. These are filings, similar to NODs. These are not completed foreclosures as some people still may have right of redemption and may use Chapter 13 BKs and other sources to redeem. The 21,000 filings do not represent bank owned properties either.

[color=black]

Again, you should not badmouth Vegas because you did not have the foresight to take a look at the cost of living, the standard of housing, and the median salary in Vegas. Although I find it ironic that you probably moved to Vegas in the middle of the boom, when the cost of living was mich higher, thinking that you were involved in the new gold rush, and are now leaving that Vegas has gotten back to historical norms especially with regard to median salaries vs. median home prices. East Texas is booming though, and everyone knows it. The influx into East Texas is very similar to the Vegas boom, and I would not be surprised if it became over populated and diluted as well. That being said, I wish you luck out there. They may take more kindly to your fanatical, semi-racist views.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6018401-post14.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6018477-post15.html

I forgive you for being rude and judgemental and pathetic.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I'm not trying to harp on you. I just take exception when people make claims and don't back them up.

Las Vegas did not work out for you and although unfortunate, just like any other city it is not always a good fit. I understand that.

As far as my pain and tough times go, you couldn't imagine the things that I've been through. Las Vegas actually offered me the opportunity to put it behind me and make a better life for myself. I met my wife here, got married and had my son here. Perhaps that is why I defend it so. Perhaps if the timing were different you would have a different outlook as well.

I was sincere in my last post regarding the fact that I hope you do find what you are looking for. Good luck.

I am so happy for you. Truly I am. Not every one is the same, there for what works for some does not work for others.

I know that family and friends are what matter most in this world! That is why what ever any one says or does to me will not hurt me. I found that is better to forgive. I did not have a good experience here that is all. But I am happy that it has worked for you. I did not come here with the intention to hate Vegas, I was so excited to come here and couldn't wait. I do not hate Vegas, I just do not think it is the place for me. It doesn't live up to my standards. I hope some day I will find the place that will work for me. Thank you for your kind words.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
I am so happy for you. Truly I am. Not every one is the same, there for what works for some does not work for others.

I know that family and friends are what matter most in this world! That is why what ever any one says or does to me will not hurt me. I found that is better to forgive. I did not have a good experience here that is all. But I am happy that it has worked for you. I did not come here with the intention to hate Vegas, I was so excited to come here and couldn't wait. I do not hate Vegas, I just do not think it is the place for me. It doesn't live up to my standards. I hope some day I will find the place that will work for me. Thank you for your kind words.

Good luck. Places are mostly what you make of them. Las Vegas is that way. But luck enters into it as well. A cascade of the gods dropping rocks on your hopes and dreams can be hard to take anywhere.

Las Vegas is simply a south western city. As many know I sell houses mainly to new comers. About 80% or maybe a few more end up liking Las Vegas. The other 20% end up disliking to hating the place. Far and away the biggest issue is heat. But once a person begins to come down on Vegas it gets more and more strident. For one who starts out first conceding a mistake in coming here it often takes only months until Vegas is a "hell hole".

But again good luck and, when you get to where you are headed, work hard at loving the place. It will pay off.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
Sorry Tango4all, but you were the judgmental person on this thread. 60% of people here being on Drugs, LOL! Talking about how we are are ignorant. Funny, but we seem to being doing pretty well in Vegas, unlike you! Should have done your homework. But from the sound of your other comments on this forum, you need to move to a small Podunk town somewhere.

I am from PA also, and you are making all PA people sound like raciest idiots.

Good Luck in your move!

Old 11-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Sorry Tango4all, but you were the judgmental person on this thread. 60% of people here being on Drugs, LOL! Talking about how we are are ignorant. Funny, but we seem to being doing pretty well in Vegas, unlike you! Should have done your homework. But from the sound of your other comments on this forum, you need to move to a small Podunk town somewhere.

I am from PA also, and you are making all PA people sound like raciest idiots.

Good Luck in your move!

I am not racist, judgmental nor ignorant. I simply shared my experiences in Vegas, if someone didn’t like it that is too bad. They were my experiences and you all should have had respect for that matter. I am well traveled and I have lived a life full of happiness, surrounded by family and friends, I have the most wonderful husband that most women only dream about having, and I know how to appreciate life. I have been truly blessed. I am worldly and cultured I speak multiple languages, I am educated, and now, street smart thanks to Las Vegas.

Nothing is a mistake. I don’t regret moving to Vegas, but it is not the place for me. When I answered to this persons question on this forum I didn’t realize that it would get so out of hand! I can not even believe that I would have to defend myself to people I don’t even know for the way I think and feel about my life experiences. It was my fault for sharing. That will not happen again. My good intentions will not be wasted on the weak minded again. But that is alright…. I know, I know, Vegas changes people. I truly feel sorry for all the people who gained up on me! I forgive you all but I feel sorry for you. Maybe one day you will be able to find the deeper meaning of life. Good luck to you all. I will never post another comment on this forum, because it is obvious that people do not have good intentions when dealing with others on this particular forum.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:10 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
I am not racist, judgmental nor ignorant. I simply shared my experiences in Vegas, if someone didn’t like it that is too bad. They were my experiences and you all should have had respect for that matter. I am well traveled and I have lived a life full of happiness, surrounded by family and friends, I have the most wonderful husband that most women only dream about having, and I know how to appreciate life. I have been truly blessed. I am worldly and cultured I speak multiple languages, I am educated, and now, street smart thanks to Las Vegas.

Nothing is a mistake. I don’t regret moving to Vegas, but it is not the place for me. When I answered to this persons question on this forum I didn’t realize that it would get so out of hand! I can not even believe that I would have to defend myself to people I don’t even know for the way I think and feel about my life experiences. It was my fault for sharing. That will not happen again. My good intentions will not be wasted on the weak minded again. But that is alright…. I know, I know, Vegas changes people. I truly feel sorry for all the people who gained up on me! I forgive you all but I feel sorry for you. Maybe one day you will be able to find the deeper meaning of life. Good luck to you all. I will never post another comment on this forum, because it is obvious that people do not have good intentions when dealing with others on this particular forum.

This post is truly a shining example of the most hypocritical post I have ever read and I have read some beauties.

You should find yourself a career in politics.

If you were as educated and non judgemental as you say you are in this post-you would see the second paragraph just reeking with hypocrasy.

Good luck in your life and as you feel sorry for all us "weak-minded" people, I feel the same for your husband.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 PM

101 posts, read 314,732 times
I lol'd.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:

$0.50 says she posts again...any takers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas