Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,620 times

Advertisements

I have posted on this board MANY times over the years, asking questions about moving.

Just a little history, FWIW, my wife and I moved from the Seattle area to North Carolina almost 4 years ago. We had friends who lived out here, my wife could transfer, and we thought living on the east coast would be fun for a while. We came out here and the first year went really well. We made trips to NYC, Niagara Falls, Washington DC, parts of Tennessee & Georgia, etc. After a year we wanted to move, though. We don't particularly like Charlotte, and we wanted to be closer to home.

We both love Las Vegas. My wife has been many times and enjoys it there, the strip, the locale, the weather, the nature. I like all of those to and over the years have grown to have a huge interest in the history of the city itself.

We devised a plan, based on a lot of advice given to me on this board (thank you) to save up enough money before we moved to have at least 6 months worth of expenses covered. This proved daunting and between a few different emergencies as well as other issues, it took us a little longer than expected to save that much.

We have that now, and will be moving from Charlotte soon.

However, Vegas is no longer the target move because after 4 years of being gone, we (and I admit it is mainly my wife) are home sick. Her sister is getting married soon, and is talking about kids. We are planning on starting our own family too and the urge to have family around for that is too great for both of us. ALL of our family is in Washington State. My nephew is going into his 2nd season playing football and I haven't seen one of his games yet. We haven't been home for Christmas since 2011. My parents aint getting no younger So right now, moving back to Washington seems like the right move for us to make.

Anyway, I'm only posting this not because I think it's going to effect anyone's life , but because there have been some great people on this forum that have given me a lot of advice over the years that I truly appreciate. My love for the city, what I know of it, is still there and in the back of my mind I think I'll always be hoping that at some point we will make the move even if it's just for a year or two, but even if we don't, we will definitely be vacationing there often (Vegas is a lot closer to Seattle than it is to Charlotte).

I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for their help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
Good luck on your upcoming move! I spent every summer growing up in Bothell and love the PNW.. I love it enough to visit, not live, as my decisions are primarily weather-driven, but wish you guys the best for a stress-free move!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 PM

421 posts, read 899,127 times
I wish you much happiness in your new home and the start of your family, Denise

Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,487,227 times
Good luck to you! Enjoy the lush foliage &
Seafood. And those games ...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Best wishes in Seattle. May all that you hope to accomplish there, be the least that you achieve.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,124,963 times
I left NC a couple months ago and I absolutely love it here.
I was living in a ****ty house and had a ****ty job. Here I am only paying 200 more a month total and I doubled my car payment when I got here.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I left NC a couple months ago and I absolutely love it here.
I was living in a ****ty house and had a ****ty job. Here I am only paying 200 more a month total and I doubled my car payment when I got here.
Thank you to everyone except extremeatheist, way to bum me out.

Well, NC is just a ****ty place in general, IMHO.

Raiderman, I'm wondering how we'll adjust to the weather. We get a lot more rain here in NC, but it's not as consistent as in Seattle. I never minded the weather in the PNW before, but it's all I knew.
We were in Las Vegas in June and the temps were low 90's and it felt great. Not going to get that in the PNW.

Thanks again everybody.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Thank you to everyone except extremeatheist, way to bum me out.

Well, NC is just a ****ty place in general, IMHO.

Raiderman, I'm wondering how we'll adjust to the weather. We get a lot more rain here in NC, but it's not as consistent as in Seattle. I never minded the weather in the PNW before, but it's all I knew.
We were in Las Vegas in June and the temps were low 90's and it felt great. Not going to get that in the PNW.

Thanks again everybody.
Are you the one who was ready to move then saved a kitty and paid a bunch of money to do so?

Good luck to you. Sometimes things just work out for the best, and it sounds like moving to Las Vegas wasn't in the cards for you (haha gambling pun). The same thing has happened to me; my move has been slightly delayed due to a slow real estate market in my area. As I have been waiting for my house to sell, I have decided that LV isn't for me either. I am glad now, knowing what I know, that my move didn't happen sooner as I would have moved to LV and then realized I made a mistake.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Are you the one who was ready to move then saved a kitty and paid a bunch of money to do so?
Yup, that was me. Based on our estimates that pushed our move back a few additional months, and then some medical problems in our family pushed it back farther.

Quote:
Good luck to you. Sometimes things just work out for the best, and it sounds like moving to Las Vegas wasn't in the cards for you (haha gambling pun). The same thing has happened to me; my move has been slightly delayed due to a slow real estate market in my area. As I have been waiting for my house to sell, I have decided that LV isn't for me either. I am glad now, knowing what I know, that my move didn't happen sooner as I would have moved to LV and then realized I made a mistake.
I'm glad things have worked out for you. For us, I still am not convinced that the move to Las Vegas isn't the right move, it's just not the Right Now move for us. We'll go home, be around family, friends, start our family, and then who knows....?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
I have decided that LV isn't for me either. I am glad now, knowing what I know, that my move didn't happen sooner as I would have moved to LV and then realized I made a mistake.
As you said, better to find out before the move rather than after. IIRC, you had stated that the main reason you wanted to move to LV was the weather; I then recall you posting a few times that it was colder than you thought it would be when you were here in December. Was that what prompted you to change your mind or was there another issue? Have you decided on another locale yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas