Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe whoever wins Nov 4 a big difference is immediate for us down the "food chain?&am
Yes, if Obama wins 6 46.15%
Yes, if McCain wins 2 15.38%
No, regardless of who wins 5 38.46%
No, only if justice is renewed by us 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,480,541 times

Advertisements

OK...here we are, where are we?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,059,126 times
No matter where you go, there you are.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Hey, that's a good one!

Where the heck is everyone?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,954,362 times
Still trying to figure out where they are.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Kimba, how do you like Las Vegas so far? Settling in?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 AM

I love Vegas. Love the weather, so far I have had no problem with people other than the ignorant drivers at the school. But I had a problem with them in MI too.

I have been looking around for a job, but frankly, not that much. Mostly because I am not sure we are going to stay in Henderson. I like it, but it is expensive. Plus, how do you go apply for a job and then say, "btw, I need two weeks off in December because I am going to be out of town"? Tough call. I knew that part would be hard and I told my husband that before coming here. I want to be able to go back to MI when I need to. (3 of my kids are there) Then, my 24 yo daughter decides she doesn't remember what birth control is and is now pregnant! So, I have that too. Working in the schools would be great, because I would be off when my daughter is, but I heard they are hard to get into and not so great. (I don't really care about the not so great part)

So, as far as the city goes-I am loving it. Don't miss anything about MI but the people I love. If they were here all would be grand for me. It has only been 1.5 months, so I don't expect miracles, but sometimes I still feel a little out of my element.

Thanks for asking!!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
actually Kimba that isn't an unusual thing....and we do [at least in our company] make allowances for that.....

Tell her the BEST Birth Control is One Aspirin

Held firmly between the knees.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Anytime you're moved away from your "nest"...meaning familiar places and people..it's a little daunting. And Las Vegas is a very fast paced place if you're not used to that lifestyle.

I agree with you, trying to secure a job and then asking for two weeks off is sometimes no no...especially in this bad economy. If you need your freedom and can survive with just one income...then by all means, do so. But it's very difficult, Las Vegas is definately NOT the cheapest place in the country to live.

Compared to bigger cities, yes it is. Smaller villages, towns..it's probably not. Henderson is not anymore expensive than Las Vegas itself, you'll find though, certain places have shopping centers that are just as expensive as the hotel shops and the grocery stores will have a bit higher prices.

I can go to the Smiths on Rampart/Lake Mead (deep in the heart of Summerlin) and then go to the Smiths near me (Vegas and Jones)...and that Smiths (near me) the prices will be a few cents less. Same with gas...

CCSD is not that hard to get into..depends upon what position you want. Mr. MomMom is retired but recently (3 months ago) secured a position as handyman/janitor in the school district. He had no experience whatsoever in that and works 5 hours a day (enough to get out of my hair so I can have the house to myself for a few hours)...with FULL benefits.

Granted, we are long time residents here, but he got the job as easy as going on the computer and filling out a application...

Keep in touch, glad you like the city...and certainly, you can't beat our weather right now!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
actually Kimba that isn't an unusual thing....and we do [at least in our company] make allowances for that.....

Tell her the BEST Birth Control is One Aspirin

Held firmly between the knees.

LOL!

She is the daughter who is staying at my house with her BF. Go figure. Not that she wasn't staying with him before but...

Nonetheless, I would rather my kids have a job they are happy at, buy a home, get married and then start a family but...who am I?

In her case and not as an excuse, just a fact-she is a 2 time cancer survivor. She had a bone marrow transplant 3 yrs ago and they told her that her chances of becoming pregnant were basically nil. She was devastated.

So...when she called U of M where she had her treatment to ask if there would be any ill effects due to chemo and such-they told her it was a gift and she was blessed because it is extremely rare. She should not have any issues because of the procedures.

So...ya gotta love a baby! (Not thrilled about the grama title yet,though!)

Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Compared to bigger cities, yes it is. Smaller villages, towns..it's probably not. Henderson is not anymore expensive than Las Vegas itself, you'll find though, certain places have shopping centers that are just as expensive as the hotel shops and the grocery stores will have a bit higher prices.
I mean the housing is more expensive, than say, the NW.

Good to hear about CCSD, were they actually looking for a maintenance guy or did he just put in an app?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas