Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
HA! You hate bugs so youre moving to the desert southwest? Really? If you see the stuff that crawls around the desert, youll be begging to be back in MI. Sure, there are less pesky insects in the desert (less mosquitos, gnats, black flies, etc), but the bugs youll contend with are far more dangerous, far larger, and far higher up on the "creepiness factor". Also, centipedes are not "hairy". What you saw was probably a common, harmless house centipede (Scutigera coleoptrata):
http://i.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/61400403.1393web.jpg (broken link)

House centipedes are beneficial to have around (they eat spiders, cockroaches, etc). Theyre TINY compared to the centipedes found in the desert regions of the USA. Scolopendra spp are found all over the desert southwest... which would you rather run across?
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...icture1036.jpg

There are also harmless tarantulas all over the desert, which seem to strangely scare the bejeezus out of everyone.
http://www.sainverts.com/mexico.jpg/mexico-full.jpg (broken link)

Ooooh, what about the ever-lovely tarantula hawk wasp? Ever seen a wasp large enough to subdue a tarantula? Its always fun to be buzzed by one of these guys while hiking. Talk about a heart-stopper! The sting from one of these is rumored to be the worst on earth. Look if you dare!
http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

Oh, dont forget about the potentially lethal bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) and the potentially lethal black widow (Latrodectus hesperus). Other harmless bugs that will be sure to give you a heart attack just from their looks are vinegaroons, tailless whipscorpions and solifugids. And be aware that youre deep in rattlesnake country, too.

All of a sudden MI doesnt look so bad, does it?
First of all, I am not moving to LV because I hate the bugs in MI. I am moving because my husband got transferred so right now I don't have a choice. I was merely complaining about all the bugs in MI that I have seen lately. No, MI doesn't look too bad, except in the winter when I am shoveling snow in 2 degrees. Mosquitos don't really bother me, guess I am not sweet enough for them

Second of all, I don't like ANY bugs. Big, small, hairy, bald, flying or crawling. So, it doesn't matter where I live, they are everywhere and I know that. It is my phobia and I have to deal with it, unfortunately. I have gotten better (if you can believe that!) but I have a long way to go. I give anyone mucho credit that researches and deals with them.

Third of all, I appreciate all the info and I will use it to broaden my knowledge of the area bugs, but there is NO WAY I was about to click on any of those links you posted--ICK!!!

Lastly, saying the centipede is hairy is just what I visualize...I never get too close to really know but I am sure the hairy factor is just all those ugly legs. Ugh. Centipedes eat roaches? eww.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
and i would absolutely rather deal w/ 'bugs' that have no interest in me than ones that want me for a snack .

*and steve...you know the centipedes here aren't giant when compared w/ the tropical Scolopendrids (esp that peruvian beast!) but that is all relative i guess and i am sure most ppl would run from any of them. really, my Scolo's were the only thing i ever kept that i had a fear of (the arachs had my respect, not fear)...so freaking fast and seriously mean. talk about predators....
True, the Scolopendrids in the SW arent generally as large as some found in Asia, but pretty dang close. I believe the biggest species is in the Galapagos Islands (Scolopendra galapagoensis is the name I think). However, Ive seen some mean Scolopendrids in NM and AZ that are every bit as big as my Scolopendra subspinipes de haani from Vietnam, and every bit as ill-tempered, too. Scolopendra heros heros and Scolopendra heros arizonensis have been measured at 10" before, so theyre definitely nothing to brush away. And heck yeah, those suckers scared even me. I dont think there are too many keepers who feel completely comfortable around Scolopendrids.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Aphonopelmas are nicer than most other animals out there. Ive kept a few as well (hentzi, etc), scooped right out of their burrows. This one here used to just sit on my lap while I watched TV, never moved at all, total sweety. Found this one in Missouri...
nice pic...had a hentzi myself. really liked my chalcodes (native to my neck of the woods, so i guess i had a bias)..see if i can find any pics, might have a few similar to yours

Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
First of all, I am not moving to LV because I hate the bugs in MI. I am moving because my husband got transferred so right now I don't have a choice. I was merely complaining about all the bugs in MI that I have seen lately. No, MI doesn't look too bad, except in the winter when I am shoveling snow in 2 degrees. Mosquitos don't really bother me, guess I am not sweet enough for them

Second of all, I don't like ANY bugs. Big, small, hairy, bald, flying or crawling. So, it doesn't matter where I live, they are everywhere and I know that. It is my phobia and I have to deal with it, unfortunately. I have gotten better (if you can believe that!) but I have a long way to go. I give anyone mucho credit that researches and deals with them.

Third of all, I appreciate all the info and I will use it to broaden my knowledge of the area bugs, but there is NO WAY I was about to click on any of those links you posted--ICK!!!

Lastly, saying the centipede is hairy is just what I visualize...I never get too close to really know but I am sure the hairy factor is just all those ugly legs. Ugh. Centipedes eat roaches? eww.
Good to hear! I wish you luck in LV.

And yes, 'pedes eat roaches, which is GOOD! Thats why many people dont care if 'pedes and/or spiders are around their homes, as theyre taking care of the real pests.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
nice pic...had a hentzi myself. really liked my chalcodes (native to my neck of the woods, so i guess i had a bias)..see if i can find any pics, might have a few similar to yours
Very cool, I would love to see them sometime, theyre great "little" spiders arent they? Ive used A. hentzi to get many folks over their arachnophobia.

Would you believe I used to be such an arachnophobe that I would make my wife kill the spiders?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Very cool, I would love to see them sometime, theyre great "little" spiders arent they? Ive used A. hentzi to get many folks over their arachnophobia.

Would you believe I used to be such an arachnophobe that I would make my wife kill the spiders?
yeah they are.....except for the occasional hair-thrower. when i was in grad school i used to take some of my critters to grade schools (i was friends w/ lotsa teachers)....the aphonos were the only non-vertebrate allowed out of their tank during presentations.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Studying venomous critters is not "creepy". Why dont you call Greg Fry or Dr. Sean Bush "creepy" while youre at it. Such ignorance....

Yes, there might be more bugs here in IL, Im not contesting that at all. My point was that if you think the bugs in MI are creepy, the OP is in for a whole different shock when she moves to the desert. If there is ANYONE on earth who wants people to understand and not be afraid of venomous critters, its me. Dont give me that BS that Im "showing evil intentions". Speaking of creeps....
Well, let's put it this way then. I really didn't mean to get in to an argument, I just don't like outsiders making up things about my state anymore than you would if I took off on Illinois. I don't know you and you don't know me; but the problem I have with you is that you make yourself sound like some pimply faced malcontentent that sits alone in his room in his mommy's house and plays with spiders and snakes, while pretending to be an expert on a state that he probably never even visited. We aren't talking about some scientist, we are talking about you and what you make yourself sound like. If I'm wrong I appologize. But I'm only getting it from your posts. I live here. I've lived here most of my life. I know what I've seen and learned about my state and city, and I know what I've observed in other states and cities where I've lived. Yes, maybe some of our "rare" critters do look a little more scary than a mosquito, but I assume you have heard of the diseases carried by mosquitoes? Of course it happens, but it is rare that anyone is ever bitten by a desert creature in Las Vegas, and even more rare that anything comes of it. You can't say that about any of the other states east of the Rockies, where because of rain, vegetation, and humidity there are thousands more creatures than you'll find in the desert, let alone in a big city that is mostly paved over like Las Vegas.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Well, let's put it this way then. I really didn't mean to get in to an argument, I just don't like outsiders making up things about my state anymore than you would if I took off on Illinois. I don't know you and you don't know me; but the problem I have with you is that you make yourself sound like some pimply faced malcontentent that sits alone in his room in his mommy's house and plays with spiders and snakes, while pretending to be an expert on a state that he probably never even visited. We aren't talking about some scientist, we are talking about you and what you make yourself sound like. If I'm wrong I appologize. But I'm only getting it from your posts. I live here. I've lived here most of my life. I know what I've seen and learned about my state and city, and I know what I've observed in other states and cities where I've lived. Yes, maybe some of our "rare" critters do look a little more scary than a mosquito, but I assume you have heard of the diseases carried by mosquitoes? Of course it happens, but it is rare that anyone is ever bitten by a desert creature in Las Vegas, and even more rare that anything comes of it. You can't say that about any of the other states east of the Rockies, where because of rain, vegetation, and humidity there are thousands more creatures than you'll find in the desert, let alone in a big city that is mostly paved over like Las Vegas.
Well, the problem I had with you was your name-calling and stereotyping. Im over 30 years old, married, with a 6 year old son. I got interested in venomous arachnids after visiting family in Arizona and finding a scorpion in their yard. Ever since then it developed into a hobby, one Im very passionate about. And people like yourself, who strangely think Im not entitled to talk about Nevada's fauna just because I dont live there, are just as ridiculous as you think I am. So either sit back and actually learn something, or leave the thread entirely and leave the talk to those who actually, well, KNOW what theyre talking about when it comes to venomous creatures. And I think its hilarious that you believe that if a place is heavily urbanized, that you wont find any creatures there. Scorpions/widows/etc dont give a flying funk if there are people and/or concrete. Usually theyre drawn to places like that because bugs they prey on are drawn there by lights/garbage/etc.

Here, have a read....
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../24798726.html

Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Studying venomous critters is not "creepy". Why dont you call Greg Fry or Dr. Sean Bush "creepy" while youre at it. Such ignorance....

Yes, there might be more bugs here in IL, Im not contesting that at all. My point was that if you think the bugs in MI are creepy, the OP is in for a whole different shock when she moves to the desert. If there is ANYONE on earth who wants people to understand and not be afraid of venomous critters, its me. Dont give me that BS that Im "showing evil intentions". Speaking of creeps....
But you are most incorrect. The probability of seeing a venomous desert critter in urban las vegas is close to zilch. The only exception would be the few neighborhoods that have a scorpion infestation. When you see one scorpion you will see more. The only common bug is the roach. Don't even get flies unless you live in horse country. In showing perhaps 8 or 10 thousand houses I have seen 5 scorpions of which only one was alive. I happen to know where a couple of black widows live but you have to habitually explore water meter boxes or electric panels to find them. I have never seen one in the open. I have spent a few thousand hours with my dog in the open desert and have yet to see a rattler. Saw some sign once but that is about it.

So no there is nothing that rivals the bug population of the midwest. Nor is a new resident likely to run into anything interesting.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But you are most incorrect. The probability of seeing a venomous desert critter in urban las vegas is close to zilch. The only exception would be the few neighborhoods that have a scorpion infestation. When you see one scorpion you will see more. The only common bug is the roach. Don't even get flies unless you live in horse country. In showing perhaps 8 or 10 thousand houses I have seen 5 scorpions of which only one was alive. I happen to know where a couple of black widows live but you have to habitually explore water meter boxes or electric panels to find them. I have never seen one in the open. I have spent a few thousand hours with my dog in the open desert and have yet to see a rattler. Saw some sign once but that is about it.

So no there is nothing that rivals the bug population of the midwest. Nor is a new resident likely to run into anything interesting.
Unless you look for them and have a trained eye, youre not going to see them. Number one, theyre nocturnal, and out when youre in deep sleep. Two, these animals are extremely cryptic, you wouldnt even notice them if you were practically standing right on top of them. There were times where Id look at a bush for scorpions and not see a dang thing, then flip on the blacklight and find one right in front of my face! Then there was the time where I almost stepped on a Western Diamondback rattler in my FIL's front yard (in heavily urbanized Scottsdale I might add). I got verrrrry lucky on that one! My blacklight has a regular flashlight head on it, which I use to scope out the area before I blacklight for scorpions (rattlers dont flouresce ). Well, I had been blacklighting the Palo Verde he had in his yard and found some scorpions. I put on the regular flashlight to get some containers out of my bag and happened to notice something about 6" from my right foot that didnt quite look right. I panned the light across and it and lo and behold there was a juvenile diamonback sitting right there. Had I stepped to the right a few inches, I would have spent some of my vacation in the hospital, no doubt (unless it gave me a dry bite). After that I made ULTRA sure to check every single nook and crannie before I walked. My point is, you might not see many, but its guaranteed that many have seen you. Trust me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas