Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Just arrived home from a lovely family wedding in Los Angeles. Every once in a while I get home sick for the place and suggest to the Admiral we might go back.

Nah. A weekend cures me. And we got LA at its best. Lovely wedding at Mt. Olive Lutheran in Santa Monica. Wonderful reception at a Park in Temescal Canyon in Malibu. There are few nicer places anywhere.

But Los Angeles is not Las Vegas. Far too tight...dimensions and up...
Dirty, graffiteed, weeded, unkempt, overcrowded, too may cars, too close together.

And even the old standby...the wonderful climate...failed. Too sticky. And whatever in the air shut my sinuses down hard the first night. The June gloom there in the AM. Sunlight filtered. Not the bright glow of the LV sun...but a flourescent imitation...white not gold.

It simply lacks space and dimension.

The ocean remains wonderous and the coast. But no longer worth the price.

Glad to be home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 PM

29 posts, read 109,882 times
I felt the same way when we went back to NY a few years ago in June.

Old, decaying, and we stuck to everything we touched. Yech!

I was afraid my wife would want to move back, but she couldn't wait to trade 86 degrees with 90% humidity for 107 degrees and 15% humidity.

She's shown no interest in returning since. Works for me.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
I also look at the bay area the same way. Too crowded, falling apart, bad pothole riddled roads, very expensive cost of living, smog.etc.. The weather is quite nice in the south bay, its almost perfect year round except for those time when it rains for weeks. The closest beach was Santa Cruz and it is now really falling apart. It really never recovered since the Loma Prieta earthquake in 89'. If your in the Tech industry, its still the place to be and you will make a good living, but your disposable income will not show because the balance of those salaries and the high cost of housing/living is too great. But I do miss it once in a while just to go visit.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Just arrived home from a lovely family wedding in Los Angeles. Every once in a while I get home sick for the place and suggest to the Admiral we might go back.

Nah. A weekend cures me. And we got LA at its best. Lovely wedding at Mt. Olive Lutheran in Santa Monica. Wonderful reception at a Park in Temescal Canyon in Malibu. There are few nicer places anywhere.

But Los Angeles is not Las Vegas. Far too tight...dimensions and up...
Dirty, graffiteed, weeded, unkempt, overcrowded, too may cars, too close together.

And even the old standby...the wonderful climate...failed. Too sticky. And whatever in the air shut my sinuses down hard the first night. The June gloom there in the AM. Sunlight filtered. Not the bright glow of the LV sun...but a flourescent imitation...white not gold.

It simply lacks space and dimension.

The ocean remains wonderous and the coast. But no longer worth the price.

Glad to be home.
LOL
"graffitified"
I'm going to start to use that word.

Yeah
I don't understand why people(including me sort of) pay this crazy amount of money to live in the Southern California area.It trips me out.Do you really need to live next to the beach?Unless you surf there pretty much is no strong reason.But that's good to hear.Someone that sounds like they would pick Vegas Valley over LA,OC,SD,Riverside ect ect.I'm in the same "desert" boat with ya.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,744 times
Forgive me, but my interaction with successful people moving from Santa Monica, Malibu, and Beverly Hills, to LV is VERY limited. However, many posters on this site have indicated their move to LV, from the less than desirable areas of "LA" was the best move they ever made.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Forgive me, but my interaction with successful people moving from Santa Monica, Malibu, and Beverly Hills, to LV is VERY limited. However, many posters on this site have indicated their move to LV, from the less than desirable areas of "LA" was the best move they ever made.
You know that I hate it when we agree...but yup it happens.

I actually moved from a mildly snooty area in OC. But I think Moving from much of LA to LV is just good sense.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,744 times
Quote:

I actually moved from a mildly snooty area in OC. But I think Moving from much of LA to LV is just good sense.
Certainly, most move to LV because "it makes good sense". In other words, LV provides an opportunity to climb the socio-economic ladder. In fact, unless the service industry is of import, other areas, such as LA actually provide an economic environment superior to LV. At about a 12-1 population ratio to LV, competion in all areas for income in LA no doubt requires more effort and drive.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:

Yeah.You two agreeing is like having the Yankees and the Red Sox at the same dinner table,having fun and what not.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM

110 posts, read 689,405 times
Yep, that's why we left California 8 years ago. Little did we know we'd be living in Oregon and Florida before finally making it to Vegas. LOL! But we love being close enough to CA to visit whenever we want - Florida felt too far away.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
I am in Southern California quite a bit. Mostly Burbank and Hollywood, and Santa Monica from time to time. I agree that it is a little rickety compared to Las Vegas, but I find the people there to be much more mellow and laid back compared to Las Vegans. It may sound crazy, but I think Southern Californians are a little more down to earth. Overall, I like the vibe there much there than here.

But that "vibe" is not worth the cost of living and TRAFFIC. One day, just out of curiosity, I looked up some home prices in Hollywood and also some in Pasadena. I could not believe how much some of these decapitated shacks are (were) selling for. "Ready for move" homes were off the charts.

Talk about more bang for the buck in Vegas. I do like it that LA is so close. Every now and then I crave the ocean. Its nice to know I can jump in the car and get to Santa Monica in little time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: