Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,664,728 times

Advertisements

Alright Im considering maybe moving to Las Vegas from Colorado Springs after I finish High School,Im not totally sure yet.But I just wanted to ask some questions about Vegas.What areas of town are a mix of black and white people,like zip codes and neighborhood names?Im used to living in neighborhoods like that.What malls in Las Vegas tend to have hip hop clothing stores?What are some fun things to do in Las Vegas besides gambling?How cheap are some of the affordable apartments in Las Vegas?Thats all my questions for right now.Agian Im not totally sure yet if Im going to move to Vegas or not,Im just considering it.So I just wanted to learn some things about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,854,401 times
Just about any town will have a mix of ethnicities, some more than others. There are a few neighborhoods that are predominantly African-American or Hispanic, but for the most part there is quite a bit of diversity in the valley.

I'm pretty sure every mall in the valley has hip-hop clothing stores. I think even high end department stores carry certain lines of hip-hop clothing. I believe there is a specialty store downtown somewhere. I can't remember the name of it off hand, but I believe that they carry clothes as well as vinyl and turntables.

You're looking at around $600 a month for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a halfway decent neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Just about any town will have a mix of ethnicities, some more than others. There are a few neighborhoods that are predominantly African-American or Hispanic, but for the most part there is quite a bit of diversity in the valley.

I'm pretty sure every mall in the valley has hip-hop clothing stores. I think even high end department stores carry certain lines of hip-hop clothing. I believe there is a specialty store downtown somewhere. I can't remember the name of it off hand, but I believe that they carry clothes as well as vinyl and turntables.

You're looking at around $600 a month for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a halfway decent neighborhood.
Thanks for the info.Anymore info would be greatly aprreciated.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
I've tried looking into this a bit for you.

Your best bet would be to look at middle-class areas, which tend to be the most integrated. Like with any city, some areas of the valley are...income segregated. The very poor areas will be predominantly minority, and the wealthiest areas will be mostly Caucasian. Middle-class areas tend to offer the most diversity, which I'd imagine is true in CO cities as well.

Areas to look at would include the southwest, the northwest, and Henderson.

-The southwest corner is very new...lots of brand new homes, really nice shopping centers, etc. Summerlin can get expensive, but the areas outside of Summerlin should be relatively affordable. This is a convenient part of town too, as hopping on the 215 can take you to UNLV easily.

-The far northwest corner is likely the most affordable of the 3, but also the longest drive from downtown/the college campus/etc. This area is pretty nice. Very family friendly, if that's what you're interested in.

-Henderson has a lot going on, boasting fun local hang outs like the District. It's relatively convenient (just like the southwest corner, hopping on the 215 can take you places easily), and there should be plenty of safe, affordable areas.

For things to do, try this link: https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-do-we-ll.html

Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Yep...although you might be better off moving into a middle-income area with a roommate to split the costs.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Sounds good,thanks for all the information.I actually did a little research myself and these zip codes look like thier the most diverse.89101,89106,89108,89110,89115,89030,89031, and 89032.Do you know anything about these zip codes?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,153,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Thanks for the info.Anymore info would be greatly aprreciated.
Psssssst.......we don't have snow.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Psssssst.......we don't have snow.
Snow can be a plus and a negative.Sometimes its nice to see,other times it can be annoying especially if you have to go somewhere while its snowing.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,153,394 times
I prefer to see it build up on the mountains....

One advantage for you [and for me] you can tell all your friends n relatives that you moved becuase you wanted some HIGH mountains......

Pikes peak 14115 ft....
CoSpgs 6035 ft
Net gain 8080 ft

Mt Charleston 11920 ft
LasVegas 2001 ft
Net Gain 9919 ft

Every time I tell my family this they get pi$$ed life is good

Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 PM

68 posts, read 255,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Alright Im considering maybe moving to Las Vegas from Colorado Springs after I finish High School,Im not totally sure yet.But I just wanted to ask some questions about Vegas.What areas of town are a mix of black and white people,like zip codes and neighborhood names?Im used to living in neighborhoods like that.What malls in Las Vegas tend to have hip hop clothing stores?What are some fun things to do in Las Vegas besides gambling?How cheap are some of the affordable apartments in Las Vegas?Thats all my questions for right now.Agian Im not totally sure yet if Im going to move to Vegas or not,Im just considering it.So I just wanted to learn some things about the city.
I have just one question. Why do you want to move from Colorado Springs? The weather here is dry and hot or dry and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas