Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 AM

6 posts, read 39,860 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I am considering moving to Las Vegas for a contract position that may last 6-8mos. Could someone tell me what is considered a decent salary in vegas and What is considered a good salary in Vegas? Also is having your own car recommended to get around or is the public transportation good there? Is there a subway or is it just the bus system. I was reading in a post that driving can be difficult and car theft is really bad so I'm trying to weigh my options there. Also as I mentioned I will not be living in vegas permanantly I am from the carolinas and this will remain my home but I will need to find short term accomadations in Vegas. I am looking to rent something short term it doesn't have to be fancy as I will hardly be there but somewhere affordable and safe enough where a girl doesn't have to sleep with her gun cocked,lol. So any suggestions would be great. I was wondering if there a such thing as the outskirts where I may live and be able to commute to the city for work?I have never been to vegas I am a born and breed southern belle but would like to take this opportunity to see how the other half lives. Any info to my questions would be most appreciated. Thank You!

Last edited by tbryant24; 01-02-2008 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: I forgot to ask something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbryant24 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am considering moving to Las Vegas for a contract position that may last 6-8mos. Could someone tell me what is considered a decent salary in vegas and What is considered a good salary in Vegas? Also is having your own car recommended to get around or is the public transportation good there? Is there a subway or is it just the bus system. I was reading in a post that driving can be difficult and car theft is really bad so I'm trying to weigh my options there. Also as I mentioned I will not be living in vegas permanantly I am from the carolinas and this will remain my home but I will need to find short term accomadations in Vegas. I am looking to rent something short term it doesn't have to be fancy as I will hardly be there but somewhere affordable and safe enough where a girl doesn't have to sleep with her gun cocked,lol. So any suggestions would be great. I was wondering if there a such thing as the outskirts where I may live and be able to commute to the city for work?I have never been to vegas I am a born and breed southern belle but would like to take this opportunity to see how the other half lives. Any info to my questions would be most appreciated. Thank You!
Some time back we worked the salary question. It was the consensus that a single could survive around 30K and live comfortably at 40K+. You need another 10K for a child...maybe more.

Southwestern cities are automobile oriented. They sprawl. It is not impossible to live by bus but it is difficult. If it is not a cause you care greatly about you should have a car.

There are innumberable safe homes in safe places. Longer commutes are the safest. Shorter commutes are not the safest.

Sleeping with guns in whatever state is well past the capability of this list.

There is no city per se...It is a sprawling southwestern urban area. You need to know where you are working and then you live somewhere convenient to work.

There are any number of other halfs avaiable. GuienessJim may well be able to act as a tour guide if you and he are willing. It is however beyond my ken.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:24 AM

Default thanks

Thank you for your reply. The salary info really helped. The gun thing was a joke because all the post I read made vegas living seem so scary. I will more than likely live in the outskirts and my job will be right in the heart of vegas so I guess near the strip.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 32,678 times
I agree with everything olecapt said. You will not want to rely on the public transportation here. Just a note: I would not stay at a Budget Suites type lodging. With so many people trying to hang on to their investment properties right now, you should be able to find a decent short-term rental, or "room" for that matter, in a safe area for a reasonable amount. I had a friend living here for a year, for work, whose home was in Arizona and he had many options available.

Once you live here, you quickly get a feel for where the "dangerous" areas of Las Vegas are, and how to avoid those areas. The majority of the stuff you see and read in the news are confined to specific sections of town.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 144,315 times
My uncle works with a couple of trucks he's paid $ 35/h

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Some time back we worked the salary question. It was the consensus that a single could survive around 30K and live comfortably at 40K+. You need another 10K for a child...maybe more.

Southwestern cities are automobile oriented. They sprawl. It is not impossible to live by bus but it is difficult. If it is not a cause you care greatly about you should have a car.

There are innumberable safe homes in safe places. Longer commutes are the safest. Shorter commutes are not the safest.

Sleeping with guns in whatever state is well past the capability of this list.

There is no city per se...It is a sprawling southwestern urban area. You need to know where you are working and then you live somewhere convenient to work.

There are any number of other halfs avaiable. GuienessJim may well be able to act as a tour guide if you and he are willing. It is however beyond my ken.

This is true, but I've seen others do it for cheaper. I posted a while back on a guy that rented a room from me. He worked 2 jobs and made around 2,000 per month (Washing cars and McDonalds). He also had a paid off 90's honda civic that was relaible and got great gas milage.

But if you want to live comfortable, 40K is more like it

Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Thank you all so much. This info really helps can't wait to see what vegas has to offer a girl moving from the south.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Wait a minute. How can anyone tell you what is a good salary in Las Vegas without knowing what it is you do? And how can anyone consider 40K "good" anywhere these days? I don't really think I could survive here on 30K personally, nor could I live well on 40K. That said, I know people who live on less. But what is your standard of living like now, and how much will it take in Las Vegas to maintain your present standard of living should be the question. Actually, most people come here to try and improve their standard of living, not maintain a mediocre one. So, can you offer a little more info on what you are doing, where you will be working, etc. without revealing anything too personal?

As far as where to live, you need to see Las Vegas before you can decide that. It can't be compared with the communities that you have back east and you'll see that when you get here. I'd plan on staying in a motel for a little while and look the town over before deciding on a place to live. It would really be advantageous to have a local to show you around. And a car is almost a necessity. You can't spend your life worrying about your car being stolen or whether to sleep with a loaded pistol (although I think everyone should sleep with a loaded pistol no matter where they live these days. It would cut down on crime IMO).

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
There's no set definition for 'good' or 'comfortable' life. That said, people generally use the term survive just for meeting the basic necessities with little-or-no money left for pleasure and or savings. Comfortable usually means the basic necessities plus some money for leisure spending or savings (usually not both). Leisure usually means eating out, going out, travel, etc. Basically, what's needed besides the basics (food, housing, etc). $40K/annum certainly would not be a great life in Vegas, but it should be enough to rent a 1-BR apt and pay for the basics. It's never been made clear if these salaries are pre or post-tax.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
We are getting a little touchy tonight. It was the consensus of a group that kicked it around that one could surviive on 30K and do OK on 40K. That was gross salary. It did not say survival was impossible on 20K...but you would be down to living on ther very cheap renting a room etc.

It is a benchmark and probably mostly about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas