Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:21 PM

81 posts, read 260,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I disagree...particularly about Embarqs customer service ...but that another story.....DSL is slower then cable....I have NEVER had a problem with Cox cable and have NEVER had anything that I could NOT access.....
Cox does block ports. To the average user you never will know it, but its a crummy practice and its a slippery road for them to be going down. When I pay for "Internet" access, I want the whole Internet, not a water downed version that Cox Decides to sell me.

And if they are blocking ports now, whats to stop them from blocking other things in the future? Like Google? Or The church of Scientology websites? Any type of censorship is bad.

As for speed VS Cost, I am paying 80.34 + tax for a "dry" phone line, 10MB down, 850k up. This is equal to Cox's "Premier" tier level service. I couldn't find the price, but here is the link to the page. Cox Communications - Digital Video | High Speed Internet | Digital Telephone from Cox Communications

Another thing I noticed is that they openly post that you are limited on the amount of Data you would transfer per month. Again, would you buy a car that you could only drive 100 miles a month? This may not affect regular users, but you are paying and supporting someone for a crippled product.

Following the car analogy, You may say, Yeah, if its fast and cheap and reliable, I would buy a car that can only drive 100 miles a month, because I only drive 40 miles a month every month for the last year. But what happens if for some reason you HAVE to drive out of state to a place 300 miles away? Your cheap, fast, reliable car isn't going to get you there.

I refuse to support companies that are this determined to take advantage of their customer's ignorance, and blatantly ignores Net Neutrality.

What is Net Neutrality?
[SIZE=-1]Network neutrality is the principle that Internet users should be in control of what content they view and what applications they use on the Internet. The Internet has operated according to this neutrality principle since its earliest days. Indeed, it is this neutrality that has allowed many companies, including Google, to launch, grow, and innovate. Fundamentally, net neutrality is about equal access to the Internet. In our view, the broadband carriers should not be permitted to use their market power to discriminate against competing applications or content. Just as telephone companies are not permitted to tell consumers who they can call or what they can say, broadband carriers should not be allowed to use their market power to control activity online. Today, the neutrality of the Internet is at stake as the broadband carriers want Congress's permission to determine what content gets to you first and fastest. Put simply, this would fundamentally alter the openness of the Internet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]http://www.google.com/help/netneutrality.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 01:27 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
whatever their limitations, they must exceed what I need or want, so I have no problem with the service....

Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
whatever their limitations, they must exceed what I need or want, so I have no problem with the service....
Fixed

Quote:
I Live in Las Vegas, so I care nothing about Human Rights Violations in China, cause it dosnt affect me....

Old 05-31-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Fixed
but you have no problem with deliberately making a phony quote to prove your point....I withdraw from the discussion, I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponit

Old 05-31-2008, 03:42 PM

Ehh, the only point I was to make was that you were saying that since it didn't affect you, you didn't care.

The point I am really trying to make is that Cox is not properly following Net Neutrality. Right now this may not affect you or many other people, but I ask the question, what is to stop them from going further?

Say you want to go to find a menu for Pizza Hut, but every time you go to PizzaHut.com — Homepage it redirects you to Little Ceasers? That is truly what Net Neutrality is about. Worst Case Scenario, you try to look up information on the democrats and all it does is redirect you to Republican web sites. Would anyone find that acceptable? If you really want more information, read up on the subject of the "Great Firewall of China". Whats to stop our Government from taking the lead that the cable companies have started and using it to their advantage? Once we begin to accept censorship and limits on our communication in any form, it becomes easier and easier for "Big Brother" to implement tighter and tighter restrictions in our life.

Ask yourself what you are truly agreeing to when you sign up for Cox service. The car analogy may not be the best, but think of it if it were a standard Telephone. OK, so you agree to the plan that limits you to a set number of calls per month. You are diligent and write down every call you make and receive so that you don't go over your limit? Can you do this with your Internet connection? Now what happens if on your phone line you can call anyone you want, but no one can call you using your regular phone number, but instead they have to dial your number and a secret code after words to get you to answer? That is basically what Cox is doing by blocking ports. Do you find that to be acceptable?

I don't have Cox, and I don't know anyone that does. Here is my challenge to anyone out there that does. They limit your amount of Data transfer based on your tier level of service. Find out how much data you have transfered last month, and how much you have so far this month. If they limit you to a specific amount, they should be able to tell you how close you are to the limit. I am willing to bet that you have a VERY hard time getting this information from them.

See also: Network neutrality in the United States Network neutrality

(equivalently net neutrality, Internet neutrality or simply NN) is a principle that is applied to residential broadband networks, and potentially to all networks. A neutral broadband network is one that is free of restrictions on the kinds of equipment that may be attached, on the modes of communication allowed, which does not restrict content, sites or platforms, and where communication is not unreasonably degraded by other communication streams.[1][2][3]

Network neutrality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2008, 07:13 PM
acl

52 posts, read 244,722 times
so our choice is cox or...

Old 06-01-2008, 07:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
embarq is terrible, i dropped them and went with cox, no problems

Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,953,013 times
Looking at the pkgs that Cox offers--(no smart remarks, now!!) and they offer a digital cable in some of their bundles. Is that worth anything? I do have TiVo so I don't even know if you can use it. I cannot get HD with my TiVo. I am not technically inclined with this stuff, but hubby will be out there on the 7th and he wants to make sure he cable is up and running. Was thinking of going with the basic pkg. Has Basic Preferred cable, HS Internet-the preferred one, and phone for about 98.00. I could drop the phone and be down ten bucks, but ten bucks for phone is good so...

Just wondering if you need the digital cable option?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM

I have the digital cable and like it .....for the most part.....the equipment is another thing.....we are currently returning our 4th digital box.....but we'll stick with Cox...they're better then anyone else....

Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,953,013 times
So, if you don't get the digital cable, what is the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: