Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM

88 posts, read 357,290 times

Advertisements

Hi peeps,
I know that CABLE is faster then DSL, but I wanted to know which is a better company to go to with. I would rather go with DSL, since it is more stable. What is your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
I have had both, I prefer Century Link. Except for one time last week, I have always had a connection with Century link. With cox at least once a month or more, their service was down.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Cox does go out every now and then but it is super turbo lightning quick. Cant complain about that.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM

But Cox is much more expensive. We are trying to keep costs down as I am going to be the only one employed as of now.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traypaul View Post
But Cox is much more expensive. We are trying to keep costs down as I am going to be the only one employed as of now.
Then why did you ask? Do you want to be talked out of your decision, or talked into Cox? I have Cox, and I'd go crazy with anything else now. But I've been wanting to ask the same thing. Is Century Link like a dial up? I hate that. What about Clear and PureMobile? Are those different than Century Link? Do you have to dial them and wait for that awful dialing noise to get a connection, or is that gone now?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:32 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
If all you care about is price, Pure DSL from Centurylink is $30/month for the first year ($60 after the first year, but you may be able to continue at the promotional price). You will typically get between 5Mbps and 10Mbps, depending on whether the equipment has been upgraded in your neighborhood. I was told that you cannot keep your Centurylink phone service if you get Pure DSL - they told me I could not keep my home phone if I switched from my existing service to the "Pure" branded service (even though all that would change is the name of the product I buy).

I currently have a phone and DSL bundle from Centurylink, but will be switching to Cox when my one year commitment is up next month. 10Mbps service from Cox is only $46/month (promotional price is $30 for first three months). IIRC, when I priced Internet service and phone from Cox a year ago it was significantly higher than the $55 I was paying to Centurylink (it's now $65, as they took away the bundle discount when I switched long distance carriers, as their long distance was a required part of the bundle), but I priced it during a visit to a Cox store last week when my DSL was down all morning, and I can get basic phone and 10Mbps service from Cox for $66/month. That's a no-brainer, as I can only get 5Mbps DSL due to lack of equipment upgrades in my neighborhood (Lakes), and it's only a dollar more a month than I'm paying now. Cox would actually be $4 a month cheaper if I wasn't getting a $5 discount from Centurytel for the one-year commitment I'm still under for DSL.

I was under the impression that Cox has fewer outages than Centurylink. It seems every day I experience two or three outages that last between 30 seconds and a minute or two. Also, my VOIP application (Cisco IP Communicator) seems to garble the audio frequently on Centurylink DSL, but it's rock solid on SBC DSL when I'm at home in CA.

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 07-22-2010 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: added info on VOIP app and SBC DSL

Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Buzz, sorry about the question. I am just wanting to get the best service for the best price. I do not want to go for the premium just yet, but I do not want snail slow internet either. I am just wanting to see who is the better company to deal with.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Is there something in particular you're worried about, like installation, billing, or repairs?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM

I have heard some bad things about cable internet and also about Cox, mostly about their monopoly on services and the spottiness of cable internet. I really hope they are not like COMCAST, which we have out here. I am surprised that Verizon does not have landlines out here. I dont need the cable TV, because our DirectTV is coming with us (Still have a year left on contract). Have no concerns about installation, done many myself, but its mostly coverage for me. I guess I will have to call both places and see what they offer.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
I have both Cox cable & Centurylink DSL. We typically run our VoIP lines over the DSL, and use the cable for everything else.

I can tell you that without question, at least at our house, Cox is more reliable. I currently have the phones going through the cable connection because we've been having problems with the DSL line being stable for the last week or so. Little 5-10 second outages here and there go unnoticed by most people, but when it interrupts your telephone calls, it's VERY noticeable.

There are a lot of factors that have to be considered when determining which service to go with, if your concern is reliability. Call Centurylink and find out how far your location is from the POP - the closer you are, the faster and more reliable your service will be. For cable, it's not really a factor. Since your primary concern seems to be price, however, I'd say go with whatever's cheapest that will get you by until you can afford the level of service you desire.

As for which company "is better to deal with," flip a coin. They'll both turn you up, then send you a bill each month. As long as you pay the bill, they'll keep your connection on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas