Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 01:19 PM

8,967 posts, read 20,393,383 times

Advertisements

Really have no idea why my wife asked me about Senior Centers in Vegas. We have one, only a mile away and have never been to it. They are only open during the week and close a short time after my wife gets off of work (from home). And, on top of that, nobody at a Senior Center here, or even there, would have any interest in what we are interested in.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,659,599 times
Also, here's a link to the Clark County Fair PCRA rodeo, held every April. https://ccfair.com/rodeo/

As I mentioned, there is also a rodeo in Mesquite. Easy drive up there, and cheap hotel rates if you want to make it an overnight getaway from Vegas. There is also a rodeo outside of St. George, which again, would be a nice weekend getaway. No shortage of rodeo action in and near Las Vegas.

I know you and your wife enjoy Rocky mountain NP. From Vegas you have multiple national parks to explore within a comfortable drive: Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, even Great Basin. IMO, they all give Rocky Mountain NP a run for their money so lots of options from Vegas for you and your wife to explore nature and wildlife.

And doesn't your wife's sister live in So. California? You'd be just a quick plane flight or afternoon drive from her (or even bus trip), which might be really nice for your wife. And, promity to her and the coast would give you an option to break out of the summer heat now and then if you need to.

Ironically, Las Vegas really does seem to have everything you want and have been looking for all these years, with the exception of being a small town with a "Western" feel. But there are neighborhoods in the Las Vegas area that may give you a *little* of that feel if you don't mind being a short drive from South Point.

And, the pluses of Vegas might far outweigh anything you'd get in a smaller town/city out in the hinterlands.

If I were you and your wife, I'd give Las Vegas a serious look. Of course, I'm not you guys, so your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-05-2022 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Really have no idea why my wife asked me about Senior Centers in Vegas. We have one, only a mile away and have never been to it. They are only open during the week and close a short time after my wife gets off of work (from home). And, on top of that, nobody at a Senior Center here, or even there, would have any interest in what we are interested in.
If you've never been to a Senior Center, how do you know that no one there would share your interests?

I'm a senior, and I have multiple interests. Some I do at a Senior Center, some I do at home, and some I do elsewhere. A lot of my interests aren't normally found in Senior programs, but I've still found plenty of fun and interest things to do via Senior programs.

I suspect that many people -- including seniors -- are like me. They have multiple interests.

So, you may not know that the person you sit next to in a class at the senior center is also into hiking (or rodeo), which they do somewhere else, until you strike up a conversation and get to know each other.

I don't find meeting people at the supermarket, at restaurants, or other one time events conducive to getting to know people that way. And, of course, if you just stay home most of the time, you will never meet anyone.

Some of the people I've met over the last few years share some of my interests -- even though I didn't always meet them through those interests.

Some of the people I've met don't share any of my interests or hobbies. That's OK - they're still often interesting and fun to hang out with. I learn from them, and they learn from me.

Life would get mighty boring only being around people who are just like me in every way.

Just some food for thought as you move on to your next adventure.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-05-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Really have no idea why my wife asked me about Senior Centers in Vegas. .
Maybe your wife is hoping to have a bigger variety of fun activities to do after she finally retires?

Or would like to meet people her age in a place other than McDonald's?

If so, good for her!

In addition to the senior centers, I see that the University of Nevada LV has an Osher Learning Institute.

Please let your wife know about this wonderful program. I suspect from the way you've described her that a well educated, intelligent woman like your wife might really enjoy some of the classes offered through Osher.

I know I have enjoyed the two here in San Diego (one at SDSU and one at UCSD) -- so much so that retiring in a city/town with access to an Osher Institute on a college campus is a priority for me.

Here is the link to the program at UNLV. Please pass it along to your wife. https://olli.unlv.edu/classes

Life is short. Seize the day.

In case OSHER is of interest, let your wife know that Colorado State also has one. When I checked a while back, they seem to have lots of Western history classes in addition to other subjects. Since you won't be moving for a while, if she's interested, might be worth checking into. Some have evening classes.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-05-2022 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If you've never been to a Senior Center, how do you know that no one there would share your interests?

I'm a senior, and I have multiple interests. Some I do at a Senior Center, some I do at home, and some I do elsewhere. A lot of my interests aren't normally found in Senior programs, but I've still found plenty of fun and interest things to do via Senior programs.

I suspect that many people -- including seniors -- are like me. They have multiple interests.

So, you may not know that the person you sit next to in a class at the senior center is also into hiking (or rodeo), which they do somewhere else, until you strike up a conversation and get to know each other.

I don't find meeting people at the supermarket, at restaurants, or other one time events conducive to getting to know people that way. And, of course, if you just stay home most of the time, you will never meet anyone.

Some of the people I've met over the last few years share some of my interests -- even though I didn't always meet them through those interests.

Some of the people I've met don't share any of my interests or hobbies. That's OK - they're still often interesting and fun to hang out with. I learn from them, and they learn from me.

Life would get mighty boring only being around people who are just like me in every way.

Just some food for thought as you move on to your next adventure.
Because I talked to local Senior Center on the phone once. I told them I had some old Pro Rodeo Sports News and Farm & Ranch magazines. I was told "sorry, but there is absolutely no interest here for those types of magazines." So, obviously, I took it that they had no interest in any of those areas.

Heck, I found out that the two local Jax Outdoor, Farm & Ranch Supply know very little about any of it. I asked a clerk, working in the cowboy hat department one time about a PRCA rodeo and she knew nothing about rodeo, let alone ranching. A clerk in the western boot area didn't know a thing about rodeo either.

I was at Boot Barn in Ft. Collins and ask them about the upcoming rodeo at the county fair. They knew nothing about rodeo..............and I do mean "nothing".

What wife and I have learned here, in the three years we've been here, nobody here is interested in rodeo. They will pay to see the county fair one, but the people I talked to that were sitting around wife and I, had no idea what was going to happen. But, they bought tickets to see it. Neither wife or I get it.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:14 PM

7,660 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Also, here's a link to the Clark County Fair PCRA rodeo, held every April. https://ccfair.com/rodeo/

As I mentioned, there is also a rodeo in Mesquite. Easy drive up there, and cheap hotel rates if you want to make it an overnight getaway from Vegas. There is also a rodeo outside of St. George, which again, would be a nice weekend getaway. No shortage of rodeo action in and near Las Vegas.

I know you and your wife enjoy Rocky mountain NP. From Vegas you have multiple national parks to explore within a comfortable drive: Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, even Great Basin. IMO, they all give Rocky Mountain NP a run for their money so lots of options from Vegas for you and your wife to explore nature and wildlife.

And doesn't your wife's sister live in So. California? You'd be just a quick plane flight or afternoon drive from her (or even bus trip), which might be really nice for your wife. And, promity to her and the coast would give you an option to break out of the summer heat now and then if you need to.

Ironically, Las Vegas really does seem to have everything you want and have been looking for all these years, with the exception of being a small town with a "Western" feel. But there are neighborhoods in the Las Vegas area that may give you a *little* of that feel if you don't mind being a short drive from South Point.

And, the pluses of Vegas might far outweigh anything you'd get in a smaller town/city out in the hinterlands.

If I were you and your wife, I'd give Las Vegas a serious look. Of course, I'm not you guys, so your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Henderson was a small town with a "Western" feel in the 60's and 70's when I lived there. You might need a time machine for that and a lake with water.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:

The only thing we do in the mountains is drive around looking for wildlife, and since my wife is now scared of going to high in local mountains, we don't even do that anymore. We don't hike or anything like that. This drive to Wyoming will, most likely, be the last long-distance drive we'll ever take. Right now, we are almost in our mid 70's and a lot of driving just isn't there for us anymore.

Yes, my SIL (wife's sister) lives in So California, but we really don't get along with her that well at all. Even if we did end up in Las Vegas, we wouldn't drive to So California to see her. We haven't been back to So California since we left there in 2002. IOW, not all families get along.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Henderson was a small town with a "Western" feel in the 60's and 70's when I lived there. You might need a time machine for that and a lake with water.
BabyBoomers2 has discovered that this is true of many "western" towns, including ones in Wyoming like Sheridan and Cody.

Sounds like he and his wife are no longer making that a priority in their search, but I'm just guessing.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:34 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,031,528 times
Quote:
BabyBoomers2 has discovered that this is true of many "western" towns, including ones in Wyoming like Sheridan and Cody.

Sounds like he and his wife are no longer making that a priority in their search, but I'm just guessing.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Well, we still have some kind of priorities going, but not as much as we did. Vegas still isn’t a “go” yet, but are seriously thinking about it. Still have to give some thought about the “boating” thing, but we are sure there are still boaters that go on Lake Mead and possibly the Colorado River somewhere around Laughlin.

Still wondering about Shooting Ranges where we can use our own firearms. Any ideas???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas