Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 01:51 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
I don't expect anyone on City-Data to understand what we are possibly looking for, because most people on this forum aren't fans of rodeo, farming, ranching and livestock............like we are. This forum isn't necessarily for people looking somewhere where rodeos, farming, ranching and livestock are. So, basically, I'm on the wrong website/forum to be asking questions about things of interest to us, but not to others.
And I believe your opinion about Sheridan, Wyoming was something like "lots of ranching but not enough rodeo." And you are right...they really aren't the same. But BB2, where you are now you are SURROUNDED by agricultural communities within a few hours drive. Not as glamorous or exciting as the rodeo scene but you might "find your tribe" and the cost of living in those smaller towns is exponentially cheaper than Vegas. Before the snow starts falling go rent a car, take the back highways and check some of them out.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:05 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
And I believe your opinion about Sheridan, Wyoming was something like "lots of ranching but not enough rodeo." And you are right...they really aren't the same. But BB2, where you are now you are SURROUNDED by agricultural communities within a few hours drive. Not as glamorous or exciting as the rodeo scene but you might "find your tribe" and the cost of living in those smaller towns is exponentially cheaper than Vegas. Before the snow starts falling go rent a car, take the back highways and check some of them out.
I would still check into the smaller towns in Wyoming. Go with the difference and changes of lifestyles there.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:09 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,366,150 times
Quote:
Please, please remember, we can't buy a house/property. We can only rent a house or an apartment. Apartments aren't built in small/smaller towns. Anyway, we've decided we want out of Colorado all together. For us, it's just changed too much. And, we don't want to have to drive up-teen miles for a Walmart or good grocery store.

There are those that live in Estes Park, the Gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, that drive some 40 miles each way to go to the Walmart where we live. Thats' entirely too far for us.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I would still check into the smaller towns in Wyoming. Go with the difference and changes of lifestyles there.
As I just told rya700, no small towns have apartment complexes and, if by chance they do have one, it's always full. Can't afford to buy a house/property. Anyway, wife says "absolutely not" to Wyoming and from what we've seen, I totally agree with her.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
As I just told rya700, no small towns have apartment complexes and, if by chance they do have one, it's always full. Can't afford to buy a house/property. Anyway, wife says "absolutely not" to Wyoming and from what we've seen, I totally agree with her.
Is it too windy and cold in Wyoming for you guys?

Old 10-11-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is it too windy and cold in Wyoming for you guys?
Well, yes and no. It can get windy in Loveland, just not as much as in Douglas or Cheyenne. As far as cold goes, we've had our share of "cold" while living both times here in Colorado. One time, when we lived in Parker, CO and I was working a mile north of downtown Denver, I got off at 3:30PM and the outdoor temp was minus 15 (-15). Steam was coming out of all of the manhole covers. This past April (2022) at 7AM, the outside temp was minus 12 (-12) degrees. Both times we've lived in Colorado, we've seen big snowstorms as well as blizzards.

So, we definitely know what Old Man Winter is like in Colorado!

Old 10-11-2022, 03:10 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,124 times
Quote:

That's not true at all. There are apartments in these towns, senior communities, decent grocery stores. And what you can't find locally you can order it now from Amazon or any other internet site and have it in a few days. I'm not even talking about Wyoming. I'd be looking more towards South Dakota, Nebraska, Eastern plains of CO.

Don't kill the messenger. You reiterated your interest in "farming and ranching "

Old 10-11-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Well, yes and no. It can get windy in Loveland, just not as much as in Douglas or Cheyenne. As far as cold goes, we've had our share of "cold" while living both times here in Colorado. One time, when we lived in Parker, CO and I was working a mile north of downtown Denver, I got off at 3:30PM and the outdoor temp was minus 15 (-15). Steam was coming out of all of the manhole covers. This past April (2022) at 7AM, the outside temp was minus 12 (-12) degrees. Both times we've lived in Colorado, we've seen big snowstorms as well as blizzards.

So, we definitely know what Old Man Winter is like in Colorado!
Well keep the faith and at least you aren't going into this with cold feet. I hope you find what you are looking for. Meanwhile it's an adventure so keep us all posted.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:13 PM

There are those that find it hard to believe just how many times someone can move, no matter what excuses they use for a move. Then, there are those that truly understand the excuses and commend the person/persons for wanting to move to somewhere where they would truly be happier. There are those that think they will be happier at the new place they move to, but then find out their not nearly as happy as they thought they'd be.

People simply want to be happy with...........their job, their family, where they live, and for many, those three take a whole lot to do. Many people want the "good life". Some get it, or as much as they can, but many definitely don't. When people are really, and I do mean "really", happy where they live, that counts for a whole lot in life, especially for those that are too old to work anymore and, for whatever reasons, don't want to live anywhere close to family.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That's not true at all. There are apartments in these towns, senior communities, decent grocery stores. And what you can't find locally you can order it now from Amazon or any other internet site and have it in a few days. I'm not even talking about Wyoming. I'd be looking more towards South Dakota, Nebraska, Eastern plains of CO.

Don't kill the messenger. You reiterated your interest in "farming and ranching "
We do have an "interest" in farming/ranching, but wouldn't be able to live in the middle of it, close to it or even do it. As far as senior communities go, ever check to see how much they are to rent? We have and they are much more than we are paying right now. In fact, the 55 Plus Communities where we live, have a 3 to 5 year waiting list for new residents. You read right, 3 to 5 years!

As of now, are true interest is southwest, as in somewhere in Nevada or Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas