Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 PM

99 posts, read 416,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's always windy this time of year. Enjoy it. Soon it will be hot and dry, dry and hot, then the monsoons come with more wind. Then fall, my favorite time of the year.
Hey group,

What are we talking about, in terms of wind speed? I have a stunt kite that flies wonderfully in 20-30 mph winds. Are we talking about something like 50-60? or worse? We get the Santa Ana winds here in Cali that bring over the heat from Palm Springs, but it is usually welcome, as it brings in some nice warm weather, which I am beginning to understand isn't in short supply in Nevada, particularly during the summer.

On another note, and perhaps I should post this separately...are there coyotes in Nevada? My cats don't like coyotes much, though they are and will remain indoor cats, upon our arrival but still, just curious.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Coyotes: Yes they are here and there. But if you leave your cats indoors only, coyotes can't get to your cats.

Winds: Usually sustained around 15-20, but tonight it's 20-30 with higher gusts. According to the weather channel, we are supposed to be having higher winds on tuesday, with gusts around 50. Nothing new. Just bring in anything that could blow away.

I've seen many kite flyers in the local parks where I live flying their kites the past few weekends. So at least they are enjoying the wind and looking forward to more.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 AM

3 posts, read 15,102 times
I can hear the wind outside right now. Last month it actually uprooted a small tree in my front yard. I figured if I was out there scorpions would be flying my face and stuff. Just let it pass so I can enjoy the blistering heat and that lovely dead calm that accompanies it.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
this HAS been a windy year....altho unless it becomes a tornado I can handle it

Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,460 times
One nice thing about the wind - it blows all the smog out of the Valley. The next day you don't have the usual haze which makes it worth it to me.

The 40 mph and higher winds are troublesome to your roof shingles and landscaping. I've lost both this year.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I have not seen a coyote in town since the 60's. But as we build more and more into their territory people on the outer edges of town have been seeing coyotes, bobcats, and burros. Unless you live on the edge of town it won't be a problem. But cats belong inside. There is too much danger of all types outside for a cat to confront, especially of the four wheeled kind.

If you have been flying your kite on the beach where you always seem to have sustained winds, you will be disappointed here. But in Springtime it's windy everyplace I've ever been, and that's mostly when you see kites flying in Las Vegas.

Uh, scorpions blowing in your face? I don't think so....

Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM

99 posts, read 416,670 times
"But cats belong inside."

Yes, I agree with that sentiment, pretty much anywhere you live. My two seem to enjoy being indoor cats. I like leaving the windows open and letting them enjoy the breeze, which I realize is going to require an adjustment for all three of us, particularly during those hot months. However, having originally grown up in Missouri (me, not the cats ), with its horrendously muggy, miserable summers and the freezing cold winters, I welcome the weather the Las Vegas area has to offer and will just have to see if i can hack the heat, but I think it'll be okay. I've been in Palm Springs when it was 110 to 120--granted I was floating in the pool with a drink in my hand, but I digress. It has been my experience that nothing is ever as bad as people say. Lest anyone take issue with that statement, I realize there are exceptions to this little philosophy, such as a major illnesses, death of a loved one, etc., but it has been pretty true in my life.

Thanks all.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
I go bike riding often,so I don't like too much windy weather,and I also don't like how the wind there during the summer doesn't cool things off,but feels like a blow dryer.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I go bike riding often,so I don't like too much windy weather,and I also don't like how the wind there during the summer doesn't cool things off,but feels like a blow dryer.
And that is why the weather folks call it "the blow dryer effect" boys and girls. It can be he** on a bike rider, but it's not everyday, and at least you aren't going to get wet too.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM

35 posts, read 93,682 times
I actually like some aspects of the wind. Like I just love listening to it at night especially when I can have the windows open. It's also nice in the daytime when the windows can be open as well.

But there are things I really hate about it like how it can mess up my hair . But I'm a pharmacy student, so there's really no place I'm going where I have to look nice too much (lots of studying). I don't own a home, but I can just imagine how awful it would be in terms of damage to home/land and whatnot. But for right now, I'm leaning toward liking the wind more than hating it (I guess that makes me the oddball here---sorry!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas