Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 08:41 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times

Advertisements

I am very familiar with everything else about Vegas since I used to live in SoCal and visited few times a year over the last couple of decades. However, one thing I have no knowledge about is the bugs/scorpions situation. What is all that about? I have been hearing stories about how scorpions are a big problem there and in Arizona. Is this a rare exception or it is something that is commonly dealt with in residences in Vegas?

Having scorpions in my house would be something like the Amityville horror movie, that is all I can say LOL!

Just trying to do some research.. Vegas seems appealing due to lower COL, proximity to LA/OC, my existing familiarity with the city, no income tax and the rather short period of extreme heat compared to Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 08:20 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
Scorpions seem to be something that are specific to individual neighborhoods. Supposedly they come in from Arizona along with palm trees that are being brought into the state for landscaping. Most people report they've never seen a scorpion. In my new-ish neighborhood (houses still being built and hence new landscaping) there are scorpions. We usually go scorpion hunting outdoors at night about once/month during the summer, and find/kill a half dozen or so. You buy a "blacklight" flashlight (causes them to glow in the dark) and use a pair of needle-nose pliers to squish them.

I found one inside the house once.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:29 PM

126 posts, read 81,055 times
Just buy some spray or get a pest control company to come once a month.
Definitely scorpion problem in Henderson, where I lived for about 10 years.
It was not a major problem, but they would pop up from time to time and the bites are not fun. I was only bitten once and recovered quickly. Get an allergy test to make sure or an Epi Pen, if necessary. Allergic reactions are not something you want to mess with.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:40 PM

661 posts, read 631,192 times
I've lived here over 10 years and have only seen 1 scorpion. It was dead in our garage when we moved in.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:14 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Our homes are crawling with scorpions. Don’t move here. Stay in CA.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:40 PM

126 posts, read 81,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
CA is better anyway, by far.

NV is decent, but a cultural mess.

An evolving city, with not much heart is Las Vegas, unlike the more sophisticated Los Angles, CA. You might want to stop believing everything you read and see on TV about LA, and actually take a trip and experience it. Making judgements about the best city in the world, is a bit juvenile.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Thanks but I don't live in CA, I live in TX. I used to live in CA.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:24 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post

An evolving city, with not much heart is Las Vegas, unlike the more sophisticated Los Angles, CA. You might want to stop believing everything you read and see on TV about LA, and actually take a trip and experience it. Making judgements about the best city in the world, is a bit juvenile.
I don't see the sarcasm font. I lived in LA for decades and I won't even go back to visit friends.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:02 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post

Assuming you are serious I would agree LA has a lot of great features. However, I would add, that if you really feel it's really the best city in the world then please don't move to NV. That seems to fit the stereotype of the of the geocentric Los Angelino. Just come visit on weekends and spend a lot of money! Maybe you'll win some next trip!? Keep trying!

Old 12-10-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Assuming you are serious I would agree LA has a lot of great features.
A lot of people are flocking to Vegas because of it's strategic location. And personally I have never disliked Vegas, I never claimed I did, I obviously enjoy Vegas if I visit several times a year and will continue to do so no matter where I live.

I do not have a clue about the residential side of it and most people do not because all the glamorous aspects of "Sin City" completely overshadows the other aspects of the city.

However, when researching places as a place to LIVE I found Vegas to check a lot of boxes - I am into the outdoors - Red Rock Canyon (check), I am into winter sports - Mt. Charleston (check), I am into shows/entertainment (check) - Vegas has all of that, I like low cost of living areas with low taxes (check), cheap connectivity via airports to other hubs (check)

In addition the proximity to outdoor areas in Utah, proximity to the beaches of LA, proximity to the Grand Canyon in AZ all are huge pluses.

Personally I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with CA. One on hand it's a toxic cesspool - homeless, radical income inequality, ridiculous COL and taxes, horrible big government politics that I dislike intensely but on the other hand the flora and fauna of CA is unparalleled in my opinion, the climate is incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: