Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 03:48 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Stemi View Post
You intend to return possibly? That's nice to hear.
Las Vegas adultlike: a world-class art museum (last big city to have one) and some light rail lines.

But I won't hold my breath!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 11:58 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I still look upon Sinless City as a Teenager, in its late teens, on the precipice of becoming an adult. As an Adult, I may even move back there.

I always understood that Scorpions are more apt to be found in the newer or newest areas of the Valley. I lived for 22 years in East Central (DI/Pecos) and never encountered one in all those years.

I know mass transit is a requirement for you, as I look forward to some form of it as well. But I'm on the fence on how this Boring project will work out. The convention center project seems like it will be okay, with pods (so they say) carrying up to 16 people or so.
But with the Vegas Loop, being point to point and using gasp..cars I'm not sure that's gonna be efficient. And the big one will be the cost to use the system. A lot of unanswered questions still on this one...

Old 12-20-2020, 12:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,174 times
Quote:
Las Vegas adultlike: a world-class art museum (last big city to have one) and some light rail lines.

They are working on a modern Art museum, which I would like to see. They even have a parcel picked out, not sure it's been paid for yet. With the pandemic, it may slow the project down a bit. Now it won't be world class (I hope I'm proved wrong) like the Smith Center, but it would be a nice to have.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:11 PM

Good news, it's way overdue!

Old 12-20-2020, 07:32 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I know mass transit is a requirement for you, as I look forward to some form of it as well. But I'm on the fence on how this Boring project will work out. The convention center project seems like it will be okay, with pods (so they say) carrying up to 16 people or so.
But with the Vegas Loop, being point to point and using gasp..cars I'm not sure that's gonna be efficient. And the big one will be the cost to use the system. A lot of unanswered questions still on this one...
I am also curious about these questions. Making it more than just a resort corridor transportation seems unusual but maybe it's smarter people involved than me. Plus, and I hate to be negative, I am picturing a ton of homeless types down there. Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:14 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:

I sincerely hope we never have light rail. Light rail is a massively stupid expenditure of scarce resources. It goes from no place I would ever be to no place I would ever go. Local governments should not be in the business moving people from point A to point B.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I sincerely hope we never have light rail. Light rail is a massively stupid expenditure of scarce resources. It goes from no place I would ever be to no place I would ever go. Local governments should not be in the business moving people from point A to point B.
For all the minimum wage workers, who can only dream of owning a car some day, have no other choices but to be moved from Point A to Point B to Point C. If these car-less Minimum wage workers were unable to get to work, there's businesses that would fail overnight.

Being car-centric yourself, you fail to realize that our streets and highways are also a stupid expenditure of scarce resources.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:22 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
Quote:
For all the minimum wage workers, who can only dream of owning a car some day, have no other choices but to be moved from Point A to Point B to Point C. If these car-less Minimum wage workers were unable to get to work, there's businesses that would fail overnight.

Being car-centric yourself, you fail to realize that our streets and highways are also a stupid expenditure of scarce resources.

I agree with your first point. The reality is a lot of people rely on public transportation, and this includes people beyond the minimum wage workers, such as visitors. Let's remember most visitors don't rent cars when they come to Vegas so a great public transportation system would be welcome by many especially as our foreign tourists who are used to fine public transportation systems. I think some people think our housekeepers teleport to our house to clean it for us. Appear and disappear a few hours later. Abracadabra!

As to your second point I think it's a bit of a stretch to call streets and highways a "stupid expenditure." I would say they are a pretty necessary part of our modern society. Maybe 100 years ago we should have instituted better public transportation options but we didn't in most cities so streets and highways, though expensive, are pretty necessary.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:28 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,180 times
Quote:
For all the minimum wage workers, who can only dream of owning a car some day, have no other choices but to be moved from Point A to Point B to Point C.
You always forget to mention that the Las Vegas Valley has an extensive bus system. Buses require no new infrastructure, are inexpensive to run, and can be added to new or existing routes very quickly as demand changes.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,708,831 times
My housekeeper takes the bus to get to a location near me. I pick her up and drop her off. She does the same thing with all of her clients, she doesn't own a car but works all over Vegas, Summerlin and Henderson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: