Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 02:28 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,862,839 times

Advertisements

The downside to bringing back all of the manufacturing (aside from prices) is air and water pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 02:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,408,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Energy companies pocket the savings rather than pass that savings along to consumers.

Not sure about hydrogen. It's not useful for cars. Might be good for trains and ships. Even planes would have trouble as the hydrogen tank is heavy and hydrogen itself is not as energy dense as fossil fuel when you compress it which is necessary for safety.

Batteries are good for the short term duck curve problems. Seasonal storage revolve around gravity systems.
Public Utility Commissions generally limit the profits of utilities. So no the utilities will not be able to keep renewable profits to themselves.

There are already hydrogen powered cars. There will need to be a distribution system put in place which is a substantial task. So it will not happen in a year or two...maybe in two decades. And it will likely be a major player as the cars become EVs. The high efficiency system will use fuel cells though in fact the hydrogen could be burned.

Hydrogen becomes reasonable as the cost of renewable electric drops. There are already projections that Hydrogen cycle can hit 50% efficiency. Get cheap renewable and it will easily compete with natural gas.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:36 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,064,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
I don’t think much will change to be honest, people forget very quickly and will go back to doing whatever they feel like, regardless if was destructive to the planet or themselves. Just look at the majority of this message board who don’t think there was ever a reason to shut down business. Eating at Buffalo Wild Wings is more important than public health.
Sisolak could very well have ordered geezers to stay in their nursing homes and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

The long term economic impacts of a shutdown are equally as important as public health and there needs to be balance. How many people are going to suffer health consequences of losing their jobs, homes, health insurance, retirements, etc as a result of panic closures over a bad flu season?

Nothing was stopping the geriatrics from closing the gates to Sun City Summerlin and locking themselves in as long as they wanted.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
My wish list / predictions

Companies that have been forced to try telecommuting will realize that it is very worthwhile and retain higher levels of use.

Far more people will get flu shots, I hope at the same time as a coronavirus vaccine shot. There will be far fewer cases of flu next year, even among those who are unable to tolerate the flu shot for health or allergy reasons.

Citizens and governments of every nation will realize that deadly viruses emerge from China every few years and put pressure on China to close the wet markets, ban the selling of wild animals for food, and be honest about health conditions in China.
I used to supervise 2 shifts of people. Working from home leads to substantially lower productivity. The same thing used to happen when I went on vacation for 2 weeks.

When the cats are away the mice will play.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:42 PM

I predict that nothing will change except some will have developed a complex about contact with surfaces and other people, leading to even more antisocial behavior than Vegas already had (if that's even possible). I expect even higher standards from health department inspections and Dirty Dining may make the move from the 11 o'clock hour to the 6 o'clock hour and become a 15 minute segment.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,408,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Sisolak could very well have ordered geezers to stay in their nursing homes and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

The long term economic impacts of a shutdown are equally as important as public health and there needs to be balance. How many people are going to suffer health consequences of losing their jobs, homes, health insurance, retirements, etc as a result of panic closures over a bad flu season?

Nothing was stopping the geriatrics from closing the gates to Sun City Summerlin and locking themselves in as long as they wanted.
The long term impacts of the shutdown are important and need to be considered in the overall effort. They are a real cost. And one expects that the state and the municipalities take it into account. And Sisolak is a long term Las Vegas and is well aware of all the bad results.

Sun City Summerlin has no gates and the streets are public right of way. So the residents have no ability to cut it off. And there are also a number of residents there who are not geriatric.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:46 PM

1,374 posts, read 670,274 times
Quote:
I used to supervise 2 shifts of people. Working from home leads to substantially lower productivity. The same thing used to happen when I went on vacation for 2 weeks.

I guess that depends on your work style. Having worked in both the office and from home, I am more motivated to work more hours when I am at home. I never like going overtime in the office. When it comes to focus, I guess I have better focus in the office. But I guess that also depends on your home office setup.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:01 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,820,983 times
Quote:
I predict that nothing will change except some will have developed a complex about contact with surfaces and other people, leading to even more antisocial behavior than Vegas already had (if that's even possible). I expect even higher standards from health department inspections and Dirty Dining may make the move from the 11 o'clock hour to the 6 o'clock hour and become a 15 minute segment.
Yes it's unfortunate we won't learn anything/much from this

Instead of printing money and handing out checks, we should've invested into projects and actually doing something which increases productivity.

If it were me, I would have invested the lot in green technologies.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,040,308 times
Quote:

WFH is more appropriate for those who are paid for performance, not hours worked.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
WFH is more appropriate for those who are paid for performance, not hours worked.
My shifts were all salaried workers. They didn't get *no* work done but there was a clear decline in numbers when left unsupervised.

Some people have no problem staying engaged but a lot of people have a tendency to get side tracked when left tho their own devices. I think it's easier to stay motivated when you're in an environment with a bunch of other people who are also working. It reinforces a productive mindset vs a leisurely one. Also, WFH presents some other obstacles like access to equipment, unexpected interruptions like kids running into the room (has happened twice on the local news already since they've been shooting from home), doorbells ringing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: