Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 PM

26 posts, read 32,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Where in Florida are you headed? We moved to Florida in June and so far so good. I have another property to sell in Vegas which may happen as early as November.
I'm flying into Fort Lauderdale so somewhere in that general area but in what city specifically I end up long-term will depend on the location of my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,844,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Takes 17 minutes to get to the airport from the Summit.

Virtually anywhere in that part of Summerlin will make it in under 20.

This is a rather compact city with some pretty good freeways. I use doctors who are diagonally across town. 32 miles. Generally takes 40 minutes.

You should simply find an acceptable house on an acre in the large lot areas. Then build whatever else you want as outbuildings. Safe a fortune compared to a full custom "blue heron" place.
No. He should find a place in a different state. Perhaps then we would stop receiving expert advice from someone that lives 900 miles away.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,092,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard_Wildlife_Lover View Post
I'm flying into Fort Lauderdale so somewhere in that general area but in what city specifically I end up long-term will depend on the location of my job.
I'd also look north of Orlando or Tampa.. if you can handle a 50 minute commute, you could be in a house for under 150 easily..

Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 32,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I'd also look north of Orlando or Tampa.. if you can handle a 50 minute commute, you could be in a house for under 150 easily..
The thing is, salaries for medical imaging technologists outside SE Florida are not competitive they're very low.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:12 PM

15,898 posts, read 14,594,372 times
How much has the population of NV grown over thee last few decades? I really don't think it could have grown any faster than it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If cost of living and low taxes were the only thing that mattered then 40 million would be living in Nevada. Plenty of room for them.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:22 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,674,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Takes 17 minutes to get to the airport from the Summit.

Virtually anywhere in that part of Summerlin will make it in under 20.

This is a rather compact city with some pretty good freeways. I use doctors who are diagonally across town. 32 miles. Generally takes 40 minutes.

You should simply find an acceptable house on an acre in the large lot areas. Then build whatever else you want as outbuildings. Safe a fortune compared to a full custom "blue heron" place.
Do you have any builders you know? I don’t need an acre, just 0.4 acre lot or even 0.30 could do with a semi-custom plan (for instance something you can buy online for $500, that’s what my accountant did). To my knowledge it’s both tough to find land in places like MacDonald Highlands that isn’t developer owned and tough to find builders. Unless that’s all smoke and mirrors, but you also take some level of risk building something that’s may go over budget.

Blue Herron - except their resale homes (I’ve seen $1.2M or so) - are out of my budget anyway at the $2M range. Beautiful homes but at present more than I’d care to spend.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 PM

6,387 posts, read 11,938,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
How much has the population of NV grown over thee last few decades? I really don't think it could have grown any faster than it did.
Sure it could have grown a lot faster if so many people who moved in didn't leave a few years later.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM

15,898 posts, read 14,594,372 times
If all the people who left stayed, and all the people who came still did, a lot of people would be sleeping in tents in the desert.

NV's population growth rate was something like three + times CAs for 2017.

Quote:
Sure it could have grown a lot faster if so many people who moved in didn't leave a few years later.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,844,983 times
Quote:
Like most cities?

Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 PM

57 posts, read 91,819 times
Just to add to ridiculousness of living in CA...

I grew up in California. All of my close family and old friends live in California. My company is headquartered in San Diego. One might think that I would want to live in California very badly and easily could with a clear ticket there via my company.

We bought a nice house in one of the nicest areas in Henderson last year (Seven Hills) which we can afford on my income comfortably and my wife can stay home with the kids. To transfer to work the same job in San Diego and make the same or slightly more money would be a massive pay cut due to rent/mortgage alone. Even to promote and make a good chunk more would still likely leave us worse off than here. I can see it with my company; the wages/salaries just do not fit well enough there. We would have to commit to a larger mortgage and/or have a severe downgrade in lifestyle, such as a worse commute, worse house quality, less going out/on vacations, less money to spend on the kids, and worse neighborhood quality.

I am not saying that here is the most desirable place either, but for us it beats California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas