Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:31 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,560,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
How much "house" do 2.5 people need? I imagine that huge living room, loft and guest bedrooms barely get any use.

I had a relative who was in the market 4 years ago for a house in the 500k range. I told him to buy a water adjacent property in Lake Shores, he didn't listen. He instead bought a 4000 sqft property in that same area, but it wasn't within vision of the water. It's only him, his wife and his daughter.

For all the hate I have for townhomes/condos/apartment, as long as the people in the community are respecting the cleanliness of the common areas, those are perfectly fine housing options.

Anyhow, McMansions are dumb. Simplify your life.
Exactly! These people seem to want to live excessively. Two people (without kids, no less) "needing" a multi-million dollar home is the exact reason why we're having issues with climate change, drought, and a housing shortage. They'll deny that it's individually them, but it's their ethos we're dealing with.

It's really gauche, to be honest, and I'm not particularly impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 02:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,080,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
As far as I'm concerned the feedback/discussion has been exceptional and helpful to me.

I happened to see an interesting house with an extravagant pool area which I like. I'm not interested in buying at this time, but it did fall within the price range and is large.
Very pretty but just the idea of the electric bill scares me to death!

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:39 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 03:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
As far as I'm concerned the feedback/discussion has been exceptional and helpful to me.

I happened to see an interesting house with an extravagant pool area which I like. I'm not interested in buying at this time, but it did fall within the price range and is large.
I would approach that one very cautiously. There is an unstuck between the public record and the listing.
Always bad news. And particularly this one differs in the number of bathrooms...always a significant problem. Smells like some of it may have been DIY. Appears to be on a well so almost certain on a septic as well.

I would be very careful.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:39 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 07:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,654,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Im with you. Doesn't matter how nice the house is, you're still in Las Vegas.
Yes, you’re in one of the greatest cities in America, why wouldn’t you enjoy it?! There are some bizarre attitudes here. This is 2018, a million dollar house stopped being a big deal a looong time ago. If you’re in any halfway decent area of LA every single house is well over a million and often $4-5M.

As for the other comments, laughable. We use every room in our house every day. I’m baffled by how some people live, if you want to be in a tiny home that’s fine but I do everything from home and know what I need to be happy. Instead of thinking outside the box, people would prefer to disengage the brain. So in your imagination I would, what, NOT have a home office? My GF would do her photo editing for her business from, what, a hallway?! Lol. We sleep in separate bedrooms many nights because we aren’t on the 9-5 schedule like the kind of people who can’t imagine anything different than their average lives. That’s FOUR bedrooms right there. If it were 2 bedrooms and 2 offices that would also be fine. A living room is NOT fine, living rooms are way too close in small houses to bedrooms and do you see watching a movie at night while someone is trying to sleep?!

I wonder about some people, are you narcoleptic? Are you so exhausted from life you can just pass out whenever? If so that’s awesome, I’m jealous. Nobody in this house is like that, we like most civilized human beings require a dark, cold, quiet room to sleep. So the house needs separation between where someone might be watching a movie and someone else might be sleeping. If you want to waste your time going to the gym constantly and fighting for equipment that’s fine. I like to have mine accessible here because it’s the best guarantee I can get in my workouts even when I’m busy and watch whatever I want while doing it.

Bottom line it’s called having standards. Don’t judge people for demanding a certain quality out of life. If you can live in a tiny place with someone else and sleep exactly when they do, wake exactly when they do, and have no space of your own you do you. That’s not acceptable living standards for me. There’s nothing excessive about it, a 4,000 square foot house isn’t big. A 10-20,000 square foot house is big.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:16 AM

263 posts, read 236,239 times
As a follow up to my previous post, the City of Las Vegas does NOT truly issue short terms licenses, PERIOD.

Just research the figures, thousands of applicants, and 60 licenses issued. I have a $600K home in central Vegas leased to a friend who is connected the the corporate world and they rent it 60-90 days at a time. In 2017 someone made a false complaint about noise and the city code enforcement inspector arrived. They hounded the tenant who had a 90 contract in his and, in his second 90 day contract. They came back in 2 months and confronted him again, he left and never renewed and told us why!! Hhe was paying 6K a month.

In February 2018, I was personally confronted at my house by the same inspector who demanded a lease from me, THE OWNER!!! We discussed the previous harassment. Then he fed me a paragraph of lies, I just listened. The inspector told me I am on his list as "he believes" I am renting to short terms, he would not let up even though he as no proof, nothing just justifying his position.

There is nothing I can do even after he admitted the "noise" complaint was a false complaint.

It appears they make up the "noise" complaint to justify bothering city residents with little or no evidence. I later learned this inspector confronted at least two other 60 day tenants.

So her is the end of this story..

Last month, unknown to me, apparently my leasee' rented the house to a family in town for a church meeting, he is also a part of this large church. Sort of a favor.

And guess what, along comes the inspector on another FALSE noise complaint. They were honest to him and told the inspector they were in for 5 days for a church meeting. The same day , a Sunday, he mailed me a notice of violation and the fine letter.

Again, totally unaware of this, I received the letter and was fined $500 per day, plus an inspection fee, total $3,650.

I responded, told him what I had learned from the leasee', did not matter, I have to pay.

So I revoked the leasee from my friend, and will get the $3,650 from him. He is a good guy who tried to do a good deed.

Again, IF I were to apply for a license, it would be denied, as NO ONE was ever issued a license in a nice neighborhood.

Now I am renting it myself 31+ days to ensure no future fines, I always operate within the law, just do not need the headache and will make more money

Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,150,469 times
Anything that interferes with the strip making money is going to be more trouble than it’s worth.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,874,401 times
My HOA in The Lakes allows short term rentals if you have a permit from the HOA. To date, they have not issued a single permit. I believe short-term rental of individual rooms cannot be (or at least is not) prohibited, so you can offer individual rooms on AirBNB. There are a handful of houses (three or four) in the neighborhood listed on AirBNB. With one exception, the listing is for the whole house, so they are almost all in violation of HOA rules.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
My HOA in The Lakes allows short term rentals if you have a permit from the HOA. To date, they have not issued a single permit. I believe short-term rental of individual rooms cannot be (or at least is not) prohibited, so you can offer individual rooms on AirBNB. There are a handful of houses (three or four) in the neighborhood listed on AirBNB. With one exception, the listing is for the whole house, so they are almost all in violation of HOA rules.
Lakes is in the City of Las Vegas is it not? That would mean a city business license. I do not know if that is even available in the Lakes.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 27,405 times
These articles may be helpful for you:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...nce-crackdown/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...-in-las-vegas/

Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 PM

You're a newby so you cannot really post yet. But here is your stuff...

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...nce-crackdown/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...-in-las-vegas/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas