Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times

Advertisements

Daughter received eviction notice from landlord re using the apartment when not there as an airbnb. She's ok with moving out but the landlord is stating that she is liable for legal fees incurred by a lawyer representing the landlord. The lease was to run though August. This may be the case- I don't know. Anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 PM

913 posts, read 2,279,609 times
Whenever the tenant does something wrong, they are most likely liable for the legal fees should anything go to court. Why did your daughter do that illegal thing? The apartment is for her to live in and not for her to treat it like some hotel to pocket extra money. I believe even Airbnb warns against 1 day rentals. They were all over the news saying how to avoid doing anything illegal, that person must do a 30 day plus rental. Not to mention, they had to surrender a list of all their clients who were illegally renting to the NYC housing authority and that list is being slowly reviewed and it's only a matter of time before they reach each person and file a lawsuit. I believe it was ordered by a judge they must surrender the list.

Why did your daughter do that? It doesn't seem logical. The apartment is for the landlord to make money. Not for her to make more money then the landlord. How much time does she have before she must move?

Does she have to surrender the money she made from the illegal hosting?

Last edited by q41apartments; 01-13-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,896,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbcon View Post
Daughter received eviction notice from landlord re using the apartment when not there as an airbnb. She's ok with moving out but the landlord is stating that she is liable for legal fees incurred by a lawyer representing the landlord. The lease was to run though August. This may be the case- I don't know. Anyone have experience with this?
If I was to guess, the landlord is using empty threats to scare your daughter into volunteering to leave the apartment. In NYC, landlord are required to go to housing court in order to evict a tenant so landlord must hire a lawyer (otherwise risk submitting wrong information and delaying the process). I have never heard of a tenant having to cover lawyer expenses. Even if the case goes to court, the landlord is not guaranteed to win the case (see below).

Judge nixes Airbnb subletter’s eviction | New York Post

You should seek professional legal advice, you can find a real estate lawyer using yelp. I am sure they will be willing to hear your case before taking you on as a client.

Real estate lawyer Manhattan, NY

Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM

But she did something illegal. It's an apartment and not a hotel.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
But she did something illegal. It's an apartment and not a hotel.
Quote:
Also keep in mind that renting out one’s home likely violates one’s lease agreement, the majority of which in New York don’t allow for subleasing without permission from the landlord. While this facet of the equation is not necessarily a law-breaking concern and the one being argued in court, it’s surely an eviction concern—and no New Yorker wants that, myself included.
My Life as an Illegal AirBnb Landlord - The Daily Beast

Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Everything about it screams "illegal".

Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Everything about it screams "illegal".
I would just volunteer to leave peacefully (make sure to get your security deposit), but I am just letting OP know that there is a case to be made if landlord decides to take it to housing court (without given you the option to leave peacefully). She should seek professional help in presenting an argument to the judge, whether it involves a confession of using AirBnB because she was naive and read articles about it being a safe way to cover the high cost of living in NYC (given how common it is to use AirBnB). Judges might be understanding and favor tenants, especially given there is already a precedent for it. .

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,848,623 times
There may be something in the lease where she is responsible for rent until the apartment is re-rented.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:57 PM

@NYer23 - I understand your stance.

I'm just shocked people still do AirBNB especially how publicized in the media it was that 1 day rentals are not permitted and the surrender of all airbnb client names for probably prosecuting purposes.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:03 PM

10,234 posts, read 19,336,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
There may be something in the lease where she is responsible for rent until the apartment is re-rented.
Can't have it both ways -- that is, the landlord can't both demand she leave and continue to collect rent once she does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City