Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:13 PM

56 posts, read 223,540 times

Advertisements

My husband would like to move to Henderson. I am ok with that, as I am always cold here in MN. I have worked for 15 years as an office manager for a dental office and would like to keep working if we move there. I like my chosen career and would like to stick with it. Any information on how the job market is for dental office managers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
There's always a demand for the various medical industries out here.

I don't know specifically if there's a need for office managers, but you should be able to find something (it wouldn't hurt to broaden your scope - maybe look at vets offices or hospitals too?).

Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,717 times
I don't think you would have any problem. There are dental offices all over this place The review journal has a nice search feature that allows you to just search medical jobs and you can narrow it down to just dental if you would like.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Default pay scale ?

Thanks for the feedback.
I have searched the jobs on the review journal. I found it thru a job search website, Indeed.com.
I just wish that I could get an idea of what the pay scale is. I have a bit of experience and a strong skill level so I make a pretty good hourly wage here in MN (around $25 per hour). I'd like to know how the market compares. I surely wouldn't let a bit less sway my decision, I'm not money hungry, but no matter where you live daycare for two toddlers costs money!!!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
I don't know what the exact wages will be, but I imagine it would be similar.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
I would think you will catch a large pay cut...at least for a while. Clerical/Admin jobs in Las Vegas tend to lag. You may well though be able to recoup most or all over a couple of years...once you have "Las Vegas" experience...and get known...

And I know it is the same experience in MN and NV...but it is a local custom and seldom escaped.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Dental Jobs

thanks for the input! I found a couple of las vegas dentists on a dental blog I regularly read, I shot them an e-mail asking what the range is and etc. It will be interesting to see what they have to say if they answer me. It snowed 3-4 inches here last night, so I decided to think a little more about this idea of moving that my husband has!!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
In my last job I placed a lot of people in offices around town. Some of the employers I worked with included dentists, opthamologists, and other doctors. They were always begging for help as were most employers in Las Vegas. People will take jobs and promise that the pay is fine, the hours are fine, and everything is just what they want. Two weeks later they might be no call/no show. The work ethic in Las Vegas is not very good for some reason. Or it may be because the pay scale is too low, which it is. I can't remember placing too many office managers, but $25.00 and hour sounds pretty high for a Las Vegas dentist to pay. I don't think you'll get $52,000 a year in a regular Dental Office, but I think you should be able to get an office manager job. And as someone suggested, you should be able to use those skills in any medical office. I know the unemployment rate is higher now, but I believe it is still a job seeker's market. It's just that you'd have to get into a pretty large organization for that kind of money.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks Buzz123- great post. Do you think they offer any benes with the lower hourly wage. I should mention that with my nice 25 per hour I get NO benes. No medical, 401k, flex- nothing- just dental and I have to pay any lab fees.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
What is the minimum wage in Vegas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas