Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

23 year old college graduate from Wisconsin considering move to Las Vegas, looking to meet 20 somethings without spending a lot of money

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,418,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Ok... .BOTH OF YOU. go to your respective corners.

I think a time-out is in order.

LMAO. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
lol...nice davy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 PM

120 posts, read 391,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Ok... .BOTH OF YOU. go to your respective corners.

I think a time-out is in order.

LMAO. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Funny.... I agree! Also, to be fair, it is really tough to have a debate about a specific area, when the person you are debating with, lives in that area. I would rather have a debate about an area with someone who does NOT live in the area, but is knowledgable in that area and visits it frequently. For the person who lives there, it is hard to be un-biased, because generally speaking, people do not knock where they live, unless they hate where they live, in which case, we wouldnt' be having this debate in the first place!!!!!! Irony!!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_4u View Post
Ugh, nice trap. But, I can see right through it. In summary, you skewed my argument, trying to be slick, instead of sticking with the issues. Just one example --- earlier, you pressured me about disclosing where I live, for the sake of strengthening your argument against me, I guess. Well, I answered that, reluctantly. You sucked me in. Then, when you quoted what I said about where I lived, you didn't include the context of the whole paragraph - you parsed out a few catch phrases and stuck them together - making me look like a bragger! Well done, if you are a sleezy politician......

ZZZZZ -- buzzer says, foul play!!! Your debating skills are questionable, and that is what this is, a debate. It is not advisable, during a debate, that you twist things out of proportion....
hahaha...you are so cute w/ your accusations. but i'll play along.

the trap was of your own making....i had very little to do with it. i simply asked for some supplemental info so we could see where your point of view was coming from (both to strengthen my argument as well as give you a chance to strengthen yours)....i also wanted to clarify our "target audiences" (i believe that was the term i initially used). i didn't ask where you lived now, what kind of house, etc. etc. i asked age, places you had lived and for your experiences that might define what you meant by downtown being an 'odd scene' or people being 'creepy'. you snared yourself w/ your own words....including the icing on the cake of claiming not to be a braggart . how could i not push the big shiny red button?

i didn't parse anything out as i quoted your whole post to start mine. people here are smart enough to see exactly what you wrote...and really, the part i cut to shorten it doesn't change the context of what you wrote.

the issue at hand was quality of life downtown for a college grad...being one and knowing others who live downtown (and like it) i shared my info, primarily for the benefit of the OP. you claimed there was nothing there...i suggested otherwise, citing numerous examples. where exactly did i get slick and deviate from the issues?

i think you need to reassess what you consider debating skills, as your written kung fu is...well, i'll just say it is lacking something. (and its actually laughable that, after inserting your foot - well past your calf, i might say - into your mouth, that you want to give me debating advice)

**oh yeah....buzzers tend to go BUZZZ (hence the name), sleeping people go ZZZZ

***just noted that you posted the above while i was writing this...again, you argue against yourself. the reason you are having trouble w/ this debate is you don't know the area....yet you speak strongly against it...here is some advice back at you: don't debate things you don't know about....you don't have the resources to form cohesive, strong arguments

Last edited by guinnessjim; 03-14-2008 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
...the reason you are having trouble w/ this debate is you don't know the area....yet you speak strongly against it...here is some advice back at you: don't debate things you don't know about....you don't have the resources to form cohesive, strong arguments
See, this is the problem - I DO know the area very well, down to specific details of specific blocks, and because I do, you are really on the defense about it....kind of proving my point!!

I was mainly discussing the way some areas look, not the amount of things to do. Just look at Charleston/Main, Main/Owens, D street, etc. I don't see how anyone could argue how great those areas are.... Owens and Main - homeless sleeping in rows on the sidewalks at night...... hmmm

However, you don't have to like what I say.. Just because I have lived in Vegas for 7 years and go all over the city (including downtown) because of real estate, doesn't mean much of anything I guess!!!! (sarcasm) (no, i am not a real estate agent)..... We'll let the people decide..... i have said enough about downtown LV, and I won't be posting any more about it, unless someone has a specific question about the area that I can answer....

ZZZZZZ, is a buzzer too!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
See, this is the problem - I DO know the area very well, down to specific details of specific blocks, and because I do, you are really on the defense about it....kind of proving my point!!

I was mainly discussing the way some areas look, not the amount of things to do. Just look at Charleston/Main, Main/Owens, D street, etc. I don't see how anyone could argue how great those areas are.... Owens and Main - homeless sleeping in rows on the sidewalks at night...... hmmm

However, you don't have to like what I say.. Just because I have lived in Vegas for 7 years and go all over the city (including downtown) because of real estate, doesn't mean much of anything I guess!!!! (sarcasm) (no, i am not a real estate agent)..... We'll let the people decide..... i have said enough about downtown LV, and I won't be posting any more about it, unless someone has a specific question about the area that I can answer....

ZZZZZZ, is a buzzer too!
you have a very skewed version of your point. i am on the defense about your lack of knowledge. and as i know you will try to wiggle out of it (or maybe not as i hope you are truly done posting about things you don't know) i will quote the discrepancies in your posts (mainly because i am bored at home on a friday due to a dog recovering from surgery):

Quote:
...there are some things happening there like mid-rise Newport Lofts, Juhl, Sreamline...a few local joints...art district...but it hasn't done much yet.
Quote:
... the action downtown is pretty minimal, except small touristy Fremont St. Experience area. . .

Let's talk local scene ---- once you leave that small area, it's not all that happening....
wait...didn't you just say above that you were not discussing the amount of things to do? yet that is how you started off your bashing of downtown...and that is what got me involved.

Quote:
Sure there is plenty to do. But see, when I see the icebar, for example, I see the crap right next to it... it looks like Tijuana, on Main St, just north of Charleston.
hmmmm...so there isn't much, but there is??? didn't you start of by saying something about the action being pretty minimal? (nice flip-flop in the face of a losing argument; and you tried to compare me to a sleazy politician)

did you mean the ice house lounge? 'cause the ice bar is in red square (minor point)....but that aside, who cares what is right next to it? you're supposed to go in and enjoy, not stand outside and critique the neighbors.

you claim to know the area well...because:

Quote:
I drive through downtown at least once a month
WOW...once a month! how do you ever find the time? clearly you are up to speed on the recent development and new places to go...i mean you DRIVE THROUGH at least once every 30 days! i think driving through 4x might even equal a stop. my guess is your journeys occur in the day (cause it gets creepy at night)....so you clearly know what the local scene is (rem: you wanted to share your knowledge of this above)

i will agree with you that some of the areas you mentioned above are not where i would want to live - and i fully acknowledged that there are not-so-good areas...but that is hardly all of downtown. the big areas you are talking about are north of the 515...night and day from where i live and hardly representative of the areas i mentioned. to dismiss an entire downtown based on some of it's parts is extraordinarily superficial...but oh yeah:

Quote:
hmmm, i guess I have a different opinion, i look more at exterior facade and people.
nice....and there you go.

i apologize to all for the length of that post...but surprise surprise, i can't let smugness pass (character flaw...i'm working on it )

Old 03-15-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
you have a very skewed version of your point. i am on the defense about your lack of knowledge. and as i know you will try to wiggle out of it (or maybe not as i hope you are truly done posting about things you don't know) i will quote the discrepancies in your posts (mainly because i am bored at home on a friday due to a dog recovering from surgery):it )
Wiggle....... well, if anything, I love how you went through all my previous postings, and quoted various phrases, trying to note all of my errors, and/or contradictions....

It reminds me of some of the talk shows when they rip on a candidate by finding what they believe are contradictions or errors.... yaaa!! Are you sure you don't want to get into politics? I think that might be your calling!

We have said plenty about downtown Las Vegas during the course of this debate and/or discussion - hopefully we'll get some other un-biased comments on this post, about downtown, it would be interesting to hear what others think.....

Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Wiggle....... well, if anything, I love how you went through all my previous postings, and quoted various phrases, trying to note all of my errors, and/or contradictions....
yes...wiggle. like you are doing here. rather than defending/explaining your errors &/ contradictions (which i didn't just try to note...i did) you change the subject.

Quote:
It reminds me of some of the talk shows when they rip on a candidate by finding what they believe are contradictions or errors.... yaaa!! Are you sure you don't want to get into politics? I think that might be your calling!
but unlike those shows, you are more than welcome (in fact you are encouraged) to offer an explanation...dispute what you say are not errors/contradictions (the ones you elude to me 'believing' are)...your words speak for you and i'd be interested in your take on it..perhaps i just misunderstood what you wrote?

the whole point of this thread is to help the OP (a recent college grad) decide where to live...you started off trying to be helpful, even offering this:

Quote:
However, your answer is in density per square mile --- you want to meet people in their 20s. Well, you will meet people of all ages in the burbs, but there will lots of families. If you want high-density of younger people within a few square miles, there is no argument -- you will want to be near UNLV and the Strip..... hope this helps...
got news for you....the downtown neighborhoods are encompassed in that few square mile radius of campus (just over 3 miles from my door) and the strip (<2 miles to the strat or sahara, <4 miles to the venetian). and ~1.5 from the afore mentioned local downtown bars. and, if you open your eyes and look around you can find great neighborhoods and locations closer to the action than i am (i routinely park about a mile closer at friends house and walk to dinos and the art bar (takes about a beer)). don't know why you are so negative on an area that fit's what you initially described.

*just outta curiosity, what is there for nightlife down around unlv? i know of the frog and the crown (both great) and the double down (unfortunately yet to make it there). i know there is a bar in the HRC (haven't been to it) and you have the fruit loop....but then what? unless you are on the west side of campus (don't know of any neighborhoods over there) you are now 3miles from the strip (about the same as downtown is)....and for my $ i would rather live in the downtown area. granted there is more day life around campus...but once you are out of school and working, isn't night life more important?

anyway, the point is moot as the people did already decide:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtown View Post
I'll take guinessjim's advice over someone who bashes every neighborhood but the highest classes of neighborhoods.
again madtown...try to get out here before you settle on a place or at the very least see if you can get something short term. you gotta be happy w/ choice or you'll end up posting negative things online!

Old 03-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
unless you are on the west side of campus (don't know of any neighborhoods over there) you are now 3miles from the strip (about the same as downtown is)....and for my $ i would rather live in the downtown area. granted there is more day life around campus...but once you are out of school and working, isn't night life more important?
Well I didnt' want to reply, but I had to show the readers that you provide false information. This is why I did not try to defend what you call contradictions on my part, because you twist things by taking different posts related to different topics, and compare them, which is completely out of context, basically what sneaky political campaigns do.

Anyway, you are busted. Your comment that downtown is about the same distance to the Strip as the non-west side of UNLV, is flat out, dead wrong. I am glad I can correct this for the people. And you said you don't know any neighborhoods over there... really now.

We will use CENTER Strip, Flamingo and LV Blvd as the focal point.

The FURTHEST eastern side of UNLV to the CENTER Strip - 2.4 miles.

Downtown (LV Blvd and Fremont ) to CENTER Strip - 4.2 miles.

About the same huh? That is a big difference in time and distance when navigating traffic and lights through the city.

Uh, nuff said........ ladies and gentlemen, the truth will set you free. This person promotes downtown because they live there, so it is a completely biased inaccurate and skewed. There is so much false data, but I just mentioned this one, that is enough to show credibility issues......well now we're done!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well I didnt' want to reply, but I had to show the readers that you provide false information. This is why I did not try to defend what you call contradictions on my part, because you twist things by taking different posts related to different topics, and compare them, which is completely out of context, basically what sneaky political campaigns do.

Anyway, you are busted. Your comment that downtown is about the same distance to the Strip as the non-west side of UNLV, is flat out, dead wrong. I am glad I can correct this for the people. And you said you don't know any neighborhoods over there... really now.

We will use CENTER Strip, Flamingo and LV Blvd as the focal point.

The FURTHEST eastern side of UNLV to the CENTER Strip - 2.4 miles.

Downtown (LV Blvd and Fremont ) to CENTER Strip - 4.2 miles.

About the same huh? That is a big difference in time and distance when navigating traffic and lights through the city.

Uh, nuff said........ ladies and gentlemen, the truth will set you free. This person promotes downtown because they live there, so it is a completely biased inaccurate and skewed. There is so much false data, but I just mentioned this one, that is enough to show credibility issues......well now we're done!
so not done....and you, sir, need to reread what i wrote, get over being wrong and step up to the plate.

1st...let me show you how it is done: i stand corrected. when measuring distance to the strip i accidentally measured both times to the venetian (didn't move my pin on google maps). my mistake and i thank you for pointing it out.

revised:

- eastern edge of UNLV (maryland@harmon) to the venetian = 3.1 miles
- eastern edge of UNLV (maryland@harmon) to flamingo/lvb = 2.4 miles
- huntridge (maryland@oakey) to the venetian = 3.0 miles.
- huntridge (maryland@oakey) to flamingo/lvb = 3.6 miles

all thing being equal, if i had measured from huntridge to flamingo/LVB the distance would be ~mile more. but if you are simply measuring getting to the strip (which was the point), huntridge is only 0.5 miles further, hence the "about the same" comment. and after drinking, that distance in a cab is trivial at best (both in time and $).

additionally, i am measuring from the center of a neighborhood (i chose a location between where i live and where my friends live...their houses are actually closer to downtown and the strip), not the edge of campus where there is relatively little housing (and definitely not comparable housing). to get houses w/ yards and trees (hence the "for my $" comment), you need to go several blocks or more, thereby negating that 0.5 miles.

note how rather than change the subject, i defended my statements, acknowledged my inaccuracy, and clarified my response so that it was no longer misleading (again, my apologies for the mistake).

i find it funny that you note a SINGLE thing (one which i just explained away) and use it as a marker of credibility while you have yet to justify any of your inaccuracies (several of which i have questioned you on). you elude to more "false data" yet you present none...you sure you are 36 w/ a graduate degree? i have taught undergrads w/ a better understanding of how to make their point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas