Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 14,002 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was admitted to UNLV for graduate studies but i wasn't considering the school until they offered me a fellowship. Is there decent areas to live close to campus?? I would like to live close to campus but i would be ok with commuting about 15-20 mins, what areas would fit into this category?? What should i expect to pay for a 1 and 2 Bd apart?? Well sorry about the barrage of questions, but im trying to sort all of this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,249,805 times
In general the area around the school is pretty rough. You need to go south a few miles. Silverado Ranch or to the southeast Henderson will work. There are nice places east of the school but that needs some local knowledge.

Another possibility is the area about 5 miles west of the school along DI and Trop which has lots of young folk working on the strip or in school. zips include 89123, 89014, 89012, 89147.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,752,675 times
Congratulations!

I earned my degree at UNLV....

As olcapt said, I would not live anywhere right around campus. There is a great restaurant in the area (Med. Cafe), but the housing around there is not the best area to be in.

I'd also go south so you don't have long commute.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 PM

49 posts, read 401,621 times
Compared to the rest of the city the area surrounding UNLV is not good at all. Honestly, such a poor place to have an university. They should relocate UNLV to a community friendly place like Summerlin or Green Valley.

However, since UNLV is dead center of everything around the strip you have many places to visit to accommodate yourself.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:36 PM

Although I don't think the area UNLV is in I don't think it should be moved anywhere else in the valley. I think it's a great campus itself and I think it's pretty much centrally located making it easy for everyone in the valley get there pretty easily by freeway access and such. I like the location within the valley, just not the area that surrounds it.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,249,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Although I don't think the area UNLV is in I don't think it should be moved anywhere else in the valley. I think it's a great campus itself and I think it's pretty much centrally located making it easy for everyone in the valley get there pretty easily by freeway access and such. I like the location within the valley, just not the area that surrounds it.
Yup...It is a place where a little urban renewal to expand the campus might well be useful. Only things wrong with that Campus is it is getting too built up and the surrounding area.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 AM

49 posts, read 401,621 times
Highly agree with both of you. UNLV is dead center making it the ideal location for students traveling and/or parents/tourists visiting. However, spruce up the area surrounding it because compared to universities around the United States it's simply poor. I am sure eventually they will make it nicer, but right now it's still iffy.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 AM

True, they could do something to help in improve the area in years to come. UNLV has been undergoing tremendous growth and changes.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times
Once you get inside the inner part of the campus it is very nice. But The homes and apartments off Maryland Parkway and Flamigo Road are getting pretty old which makes for low rent which attracts low lifes. A few blocks east of Maryland Parkway, closer to Eastern Avenue, is one of the oldest high end home areas in town. What is it called? Royal Crest Rancheros? Last time I drove through there it was still an ok area to live. The school is constantly putting up nice new buildings which hopefully will displace some of the old rundown apartments in the area. There is a plan in the works to make some big changes along Maryland Parkway. But UNLV is a large urban university. Most urban universities don't look like ivy league colleges. Isn't USC in East LA? A large percentage, if not most, of UNLV's students are actually working adults that go to school at night, so not that many live on campus, or hang out around there in the evening. It has always been that way since way back when it was still Nevada Southern Univ.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Once you get inside the inner part of the campus it is very nice. But The homes and apartments off Maryland Parkway and Flamigo Road are getting pretty old which makes for low rent which attracts low lifes. A few blocks east of Maryland Parkway, closer to Eastern Avenue, is one of the oldest high end home areas in town. What is it called? Royal Crest Rancheros? Last time I drove through there it was still an ok area to live. .
RCR is by no means "high end". My MIL lives in there, and while the homes are decent (and the lots are large), the subdivision could really use some sprucing up. The fact that you have to access it from either Harmon or Spencer doesn't help matters, nor does the condition of the surrounding neighborhoods and shopping areas.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: