Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
You suggest I visit the area? You know nothing about me. If the wedding chapels weren't there, it would be totally blighted. This is no man's land between the Stat and downtown. Most residents there are homeless. I guess Trader Joe's will be going after a new market. LOL. They won't even keep the one on Decatur open, and you think they'll open one on LV Blvd? You are the one that should spend some time in that Ghetto.
I know enough about you from reading your posts lately to see you don't have any recent experience in this area and clearly don't know what you're talking about. Nor have you been a lurker long as you don't know much about the people here either by the questions you ask posters and the suggestions you've made. You'd know I've been down in that area frequently.

You also need to work on your reading comprehension. But I'm just being nice to you entertaining you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM

496 posts, read 365,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I know enough about you from reading your posts lately to see you don't have any recent experience in this area and clearly don't know what you're talking about. Nor have you been a lurker long as you don't know much about the people here either by the questions you ask posters and the suggestions you've made. You'd know I've been down in that area frequently.

You also need to work on your reading comprehension. But I'm just being nice to you entertaining you.
Right, I know nothing about that area. You have proven you have no clue. Pimps, drug dealers, and whores are the only residents of that area that can even pay rent. Enjoy your apartment in one of the worst areas in LV Trader Joe's. Today is 4/20, you must be participating.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Fremont East? While Tony Shay has a billion, businesses are folding on eat and right down there. Generation snowflakes with $14/hr jobs from the billionaire.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:07 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Quote:
Right, I know nothing about that area. You have proven you have no clue. Pimps, drug dealers, and whores are the only residents of that area that can even pay rent. Enjoy your apartment in one of the worst areas in LV Trader Joe's. Today is 4/20, you must be participating.
We've had two of our past City-Data local meetup down there. One of them was our biggest one.

Quote:
Fremont East? While Tony Shay has a billion, businesses are folding on eat and right down there. Generation snowflakes with $14/hr jobs from the billionaire.
Just stop. No one is going to continue to respond to you.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
We've had two of our past City-Data local meetup down there. One of them was our biggest one.

Just stop. No one is going to continue to respond to you.
Terrific. Symphony Park? Only residents down there are murdering bums living in culverts.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 PM

469 posts, read 494,419 times
Quote:
You suggest I visit the area? You know nothing about me. If the wedding chapels weren't there, it would be totally blighted. This is no man's land between the Stat and downtown. Most residents there are homeless. I guess Trader Joe's will be going after a new market. LOL. They won't even keep the one on Decatur open, and you think they'll open one on LV Blvd? You are the one that should spend some time in that Ghetto.
I agree Hughie. That area is ghetto and if you head east more you'll see more of it. Vegas needs to focus on Education, Jobs, Jobs, Jobs and let law enforcement be able to do their job.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
I agree Hughie. That area is ghetto and if you head east more you'll see more of it. Vegas needs to focus on Education, Jobs, Jobs, Jobs and let law enforcement be able to do their job.
Yes, I don't know where some come up with these opinions. Unfortunately when it comes to jobs, LV is the mecca for the service industry, which creates a lot of crime.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
New people want dense urban areas in LV? Why? Isn't that the entire point of being in LV? So you don't have neighbors on top of you? Pretty sure if everyone had a choice and money was not an issue, they'd live in a house, not an apartment.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
People move to Vegas because the think it's like living on The Strip. Then reality slaps the upside the head.

The below is absolutely wrong. In general, people are getting away from the automobile-centric, detached SF house suburban lifestyle, and looking for an upscale high density urban lifestyle. Thus us certainly happening on a national basis, especially with younger adults.

Even here, how many newbie posters do we gather looking for the hip, young, urban, walkable neighborhood's (only to find that it really doesn't exist in LV.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Pretty sure if everyone had a choice and money was not an issue, they'd live in a house, not an apartment.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
New people want dense urban areas in LV? Why? Isn't that the entire point of being in LV? So you don't have neighbors on top of you? Pretty sure if everyone had a choice and money was not an issue, they'd live in a house, not an apartment.
The Millennials, who don't want to be saddled with car ownership/repairs, are bypassing any city that doesn't have a viable urban center, and more importantly, they demand a good mass transit system/light rail or subway. And there's too many cities today that offer that luxury to them, and Las Vegas is not one of them, nor will it ever be!

At a recent Winchester Town Advisory Meeting, they're looking at 6 years before we get our first light rail line, from Downtown, to the Airport, via Maryland.

So many houses in this city are nothing more than condo's on the ground, being you can't have a grassy lawn anymore. And if you don't own a car, what good are those ubiquitous 3 or 4 car garages?

At one time, I shuddered at the thought of living in a high rise, and believe me, if you try high rise living, you'll get addicted very quickly. Back in Minneapolis, I once had an apartment on the 38th floor and to compensate for being "cooped-up" it gives you floor to ceiling "TV screens" all day and night, which makes it feel like you're living in a much larger space.

From my 38th floor unit, I could watch the storms move into the Twin Cities, 35 miles away, and once you closed the windows, you never heard a siren. The unit I had was in an older early 70's building where, back then, they even put in poured concrete walls between the units, which they don't do today, and it was as quiet as a morgue.

A grocery store isn't going to arrive in the downtown area unless there's a lot more density, perhaps a dozen more high rises might do it!

Later, in Minneapolis, I bought a condo/loft in the downtown area, in the late 80's, and they were beginning to build untold number of mid-rise condo loft buildings, or converting the warehouses in the warehouse district, and before I left there in 1993, there was no grocery store, even with a few high rises downtown. I've followed the urban developments in Minneapolis, eversince I left, with any thousands of more units, and? It took, that long, until just 5-10 years ago, for a Whole Foods to arrive, and a Target store.

Downtown L.A. is Manhattanizing at a rapid pace, and with all those old buildings converted to condo/lofts, and new high rises, where's the major grocery store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas