Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 12:04 AM

625 posts, read 799,933 times

Advertisements

Ronnie Lott's group have no chance really. Paddling up **** creek. Thats regardless if Vegas gets the raiders or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:06 AM

452 posts, read 338,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Ill just assume youve never been to an NFL game. There are knuckleheads everywhere. One yahoo story doesnt move the needle
More knuckleheads on the strip at night than at a football game

Old 09-25-2016, 11:50 AM

529 posts, read 514,093 times
NFL sending strong signals to Bay Area leaders that it wants Raiders in Oakland - CBSSports.com

Key takeaway here is that the NFL and owners don't support the move to Las Vegas at the level needed for votes and are putting additional resources into the effort to keep the team in Oakland.

Last edited by LasVegasPlayer; 09-25-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 PM

625 posts, read 799,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
NFL sending strong signals to Bay Area leaders that it wants Raiders in Oakland - CBSSports.com

Key takeaway here is that the NFL and owners don't support the move to Las Vegas at the level needed for votes and are putting additional resources into the effort to keep the team in Oakland.
Thats a big deal and could be the ultimate roadblock to Oakland moving to Vegas. I always said earlier that the owners would never approve, but a handful of them spoke out and said they were in favor for the most part. That seems to have been just mostly talk though.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,420,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Thats a big deal and could be the ultimate roadblock to Oakland moving to Vegas. I always said earlier that the owners would never approve, but a handful of them spoke out and said they were in favor for the most part. That seems to have been just mostly talk though.
Way too soon. All just talk. If the NFL blocks Vegas it is off to court. And the NFL could again lose.

Barring a significantly better deal to stay in Oakland the NFL is likely to lose.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Way too soon. All just talk. If the NFL blocks Vegas it is off to court. And the NFL could again lose.

Barring a significantly better deal to stay in Oakland the NFL is likely to lose.
It is just talk at this point but it shows the NFL isn't thrilled with Las Vegas as a venue, at least when compared to the Bay Area.

The Raiders as a franchise are bound by rules they have already agreed to keep the team in Oakland if a viable stadium solution is found. It couldn't even get to an owner's vote if some solution with the Coliseum is found. The reason Davis was successful in the L.A. lawsuit is because the stadium situation wasn't resolved in Oakland and owners still defeated it. The Stadium Authority in L.A. actually got more money than the Raiders did.

Construction on the stadium isn't starting until any potential lawsuit is resolved. The contract requires NFL approval and a committed team. Would the Raiders drag that out in court for a venue that doesn't exist? I'm not going to go back and read the draft but I'm nearly positive construction has to start within X number of years. There is also the possibility of a repeal if it drags out. The LA situation was different because that venue already existed.

Last edited by LasVegasPlayer; 09-25-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 07:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,420,223 times
Quote:
It is just talk at this point but it shows the NFL isn't thrilled with Las Vegas as a venue, at least when compared to the Bay Area.

The Raiders as a franchise are bound by rules they have already agreed to keep the team in Oakland if a viable stadium solution is found. It couldn't even get to an owner's vote if some solution with the Coliseum is found. The reason Davis was marginally successful in the L.A. lawsuit is because the stadium situation wasn't resolved in Oakland.
I have not seen the exact language but unless it was written quite one sided I would suspect the LV deal becomes the standard. So they have to give as good or better deal then LV or lose. Should be fun...

Old 09-25-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I have not seen the exact language but unless it was written quite one sided I would suspect the LV deal becomes the standard. So they have to give as good or better deal then LV or lose. Should be fun...
Here are the relocation rules. The word "suitable" is used. I'm sure that is intended to be vague. Teams have to attempt to resolve their home markets first and exhaust that avenue before requesting a move. Of course they can really do whatever 24 of them agree to do so this is more of a guideline and shield from lawsuits like the old Davis one.

Edit: It is a PDF so the link didn't work. I guess this will work:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...woriSuiqPrt1ew

Last edited by LasVegasPlayer; 09-25-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Quote:
What's a good deal in this case? Raiders are getting a nice stadium at favorable rent. That's it, no grant of money and no ownership rights. What the Raiders are getting here is leverage out of a bad situation and nothing more. That's what makes this whole con even worse, it's from an old playbook. If Oakland and the Bay Area said leave Raiders, then they are getting a better deal.

Short of that the bar is kind of low to provide a deal that's comparable enough to stay because for all the aesthetic of a new stadium, there's no real guarantees the Raiders do that great moving. Most of the value will come from the perceived equity value increase going from the leagues least valuable franchise to something 10 spots better.

Now if this leverage thanks to Las Vegas gets them a new stadium deal plus some development opportunities in the Bay Area, Mark Davis will quickly forget Sheldon's phone number. That's real value that Davis can stick in his pocket. Having a franchise that's worth half a billion more would be nice, but it's not worth anything to him without selling a piece of the team.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,354 times
Quote:

Seriously- Thats what you got out of it? The NFL HAS to play this down. Jerry Jones and Kraft are for the move to Vegas and thats all that really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas