Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 02:38 PM

452 posts, read 336,779 times

Advertisements

one reporter I follow has said the bill has already passed behind the scenes, and may be announced as early as tomorrow. I would think they would delay until the end of the week, unless they are trying to get this done asap so they can get back to campaigning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 PM

529 posts, read 512,534 times
Lvmensch - I already think the deal stinks but I would think that even the proponents that don't care how much this costs should have some concerns about some of those points.

The investors can default and the Stadium Authority gets stuck with the bill. There is no NFL lease severance clause. I would prefer that to be codified to prevent any backroom deals that aren't in the public's best interest like what happened in St Louis. The public gets $0 of revenue the stadium generates.

UNLV shouldn't be paying to lease the stadium when we put up so much cash. It should get reimbursed for its loss of Sam Boyd revenue higher in the food chain. The bonds shouldn't be GO. The hotel tax never sunsetting even after the bonds are paid off is another topic I think should be discussed.

This is far from a done deal. If it passes I suspect some of these issues will be addressed.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
I have no objections to improving the deal. I see that as the task of the local negotiators and the government particularly the governor. He is a reasonable capable guy. I am somewhat skeptical about the legislators as they likely don't have deep knowledge. What you need is the whole financial picture laid out in terms of cash flow and npv. And the assumption behind those numbers. And some people with the technical background to rule on their rationality. I am not sure however that sort of a presentation can ever be made to the general public. We take someone's word that is reasonable.

And I have no objections to the government driving a harder bargain.

However I am not about to tie it up in knots over 3 million to UNLV...

Old 10-10-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

However I am not about to tie it up in knots over 3 million to UNLV...
UNLV may be last in line for their share but in the bill it says they will get their money no matter how long it takes

Old 10-10-2016, 03:17 PM

the reporter I follow now is saying it will take between 3 and 5 days for us to hear anything most likely. I thought tomorrow would be to soon

Old 10-10-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
UNLV may be last in line for their share but in the bill it says they will get their money no matter how long it takes
It says the liability will stay on the books forever. If doesn't say the payment is guaranteed. It would be paid only if the money trickles down that far. It accrues no interest. The question is whether that money ever makes it there. I don't guess we really know now but it feels like that falls into the favorite but not definite category, otherwise the investors wouldn't have demanded it fall down that far in the priority list for what seems like a meaningless amount of money in the big picture.

I agree with you Lvmensch. The UNLV part is not a deal breaker by itself. It is far less important than the need to tie down the parties to the project and not allowing easy outs IMO.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:48 PM

https://twitter.com/sports8/status/785611343365758976

Old 10-10-2016, 06:59 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,788 times
Quote:
No. That is the tax obligation over the life of the bond for the average household when it is issued. The tax will remain for as long as the stadium exists but the GO will retire when paid off, assuming we don't renew it etc.
How many years to pay off the bond?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
How many years to pay off the bond?
The estimate is 33 years.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:56 PM

I don't think oakland wants them anymore

https://twitter.com/JoeStiglichCSN/s...38286769258496
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas