Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM

6,753 posts, read 3,376,739 times

Advertisements

Yep. Another "Moving to Vegas" thread ....... but we're different!

I'm retiring next year (at age 62) and we want/need to get out of the Chicago area for the typical reasons: cold, snow, taxes, etc. We've been going to Vegas for over 25 years and have probably made at least 50 trips. Played golf all over and know the area about as well as you can without actually living there. Been other places too, and we like Henderson a lot and have decided to make that our retirement place.

My wife is younger (54) and is an RN/Case Manager. It seems that every time we go out there someone offers her a job so we don't think that is an issue. I have a good income from investments. I've read the pros and cons of living out there and it's like anywhere. No place is perfect. We like what the area offers in spite of what it might not. My biggest worry is finding a good Italian beef sandwich.

One advantage is that our house is paid for and anything we buy out there will be for cash. I think that gives you a leg up over the contingency buyers. Cash is king. We are looking/have looked in the Seven Hills and Silverado Ranch areas. There are some nice places in our price range; places where we could be comfortable, warm, and not be taxed to smithereens. And I can play golf pretty much all year.

So next spring is it. It will be an adventure and we expect some challenges in a move like this, like getting 2 cars (actually one car and a Camaro), a dog, and a houseful of furniture out there and settled but hey, that's half the fun.

So I'm the new guy and hope to spend some time hanging around here. I appreciate any comments and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,012 times
we moved from Chicago 10 months ago We live in Henderson We love every minute of it If you want you can e mail me and we can talk more about all this moving

Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Yep. Another "Moving to Vegas" thread ....... but we're different!

I'm retiring next year (at age 62) and we want/need to get out of the Chicago area for the typical reasons: cold, snow, taxes, etc. We've been going to Vegas for over 25 years and have probably made at least 50 trips. Played golf all over and know the area about as well as you can without actually living there. Been other places too, and we like Henderson a lot and have decided to make that our retirement place.

My wife is younger (54) and is an RN/Case Manager. It seems that every time we go out there someone offers her a job so we don't think that is an issue. I have a good income from investments. I've read the pros and cons of living out there and it's like anywhere. No place is perfect. We like what the area offers in spite of what it might not. My biggest worry is finding a good Italian beef sandwich.

One advantage is that our house is paid for and anything we buy out there will be for cash. I think that gives you a leg up over the contingency buyers. Cash is king. We are looking/have looked in the Seven Hills and Silverado Ranch areas. There are some nice places in our price range; places where we could be comfortable, warm, and not be taxed to smithereens. And I can play golf pretty much all year.

So next spring is it. It will be an adventure and we expect some challenges in a move like this, like getting 2 cars (actually one car and a Camaro), a dog, and a houseful of furniture out there and settled but hey, that's half the fun.

So I'm the new guy and hope to spend some time hanging around here. I appreciate any comments and advice.
I fail to see how you see your situation "different" from the many thousands of other transplanted snow birds out here . Nurse/Case Managers out here are not the most "respected" position as most try to function under the pretext of "advocating" for the patient...while acting as a shill for the insurance carrier. I had a very close friend who's spouse got entrapped with one of those, and while trying to "cut corners" missed a cancer diagnosis...needless to say...that lady is no longer working in the medical field.

I am not suggesting your wife is one of those, but that is in part why the career life of a nurse/case manager can be short lived out here...best of luck on your relocation..it's really not to unique !

Old 04-14-2016, 02:27 PM

The "we're different" comment was tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley. Maybe we're not really that different but in any case, I think we've done our homework and are well prepared.

I am not in the medical field but don't see how someone could get entrapped by a case manager unless it's way different in Nevada. In Illinois case managers are not shills for the insurance companies. Quite the opposite. They follow what a doctor charts and follow through on those instructions. My wife works with insurance companies but I've never heard anything that would appear to be detrimental to a patient.

That said, after 30 years at the same hospital she is ready for a change in scenery and job title. There is no doubt she won't find something she likes as evidenced by the offers she's received.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolka View Post
we moved from Chicago 10 months ago We live in Henderson We love every minute of it If you want you can e mail me and we can talk more about all this moving
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM

799 posts, read 709,324 times
Welcome to the neighborhood! We just spent the last few months doing something similar, escaping the tax and spend mecca of california. We had lived in the same house for the past 25 years, so we'd really forgotten just how much "fun" moving is. We are still finding things we haven't done yet to finish our move. One plus to moving from such a distance, you won't get in the trap of driving back and forth a couple times a week between old and new. (we moved ourselves and then reno'd the old house before we sold it...long story) This gets old really quickly!

You're old enough to know that no place is "perfect", and that there will be some negative everywhere. That is absolutely true here too. I've found that there is a degree of truth in some of the more vocal naysayers opinions, but like anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So far, the negatives do not outweigh the positives, so we're pretty happy with this decision. Hope it stays that way, as the older you get, I can't imagine moving getting any easier...

Enjoy the hunt, it's always a lot of fun.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:45 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,078 times
Quote:
With mortgage rates in the 2's & 3's, cash in my pocket (or suitable investments actually) and not in some banker's pocket is king.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,934 times
Quote:
The "we're different" comment was tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley. Maybe we're not really that different but in any case, I think we've done our homework and are well prepared.

I am not in the medical field but don't see how someone could get entrapped by a case manager unless it's way different in Nevada. In Illinois case managers are not shills for the insurance companies. Quite the opposite. They follow what a doctor charts and follow through on those instructions. My wife works with insurance companies but I've never heard anything that would appear to be detrimental to a patient.

That said, after 30 years at the same hospital she is ready for a change in scenery and job title. There is no doubt she won't find something she likes as evidenced by the offers she's received.
My goal is not to hi jack this thread regarding specific professions, however a simple search on the Internet will disclose the "ethical" issues regarding nurse case managers, and it is not isolated to Nevada. I think your wife will find the health care system out here, significantly different from Illinois....again another totally different subject.

I have tremendous respect for the nursing profession in general, with several family members deeply involved, some having left since the introduction of Obamacare...

That specific sub specialty of medicine is generally funded by the insurance carriers, whose only goal and objective is to cut costs. Those costs when cut, drive many good practioners out, and easily compromise patient care.

If you looked at what that job entails per your description...reading a chart...that is really not relevant to anyone other than the treating physician, or following the order...which is the patients responsibility...what real purpose does a nurse case manager serve....!

Enough said...after a denial of coverage, based on some third parties opinion, then leading to months of appeals...can and did cost lives.

Anyway this holds no relevance to your original post...good nurses are never without honorable employment...anywhere !

Old 04-14-2016, 05:43 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,154,343 times
We used pods for the move from MN. Worked great.
Do you bet to thin out what you do not need.

Lots of nice used furniture etc out here on CL.
May be better off selling what you have and rebuying out here>
I know we are glad we did it that way !

I am also retired but quit a bit younger than you.

Congrats on getting out of the cold.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
Quote:

Case managers that work for your insurance company work for a department called utilization management. It is ALL about getting you out of the hospital as soon as possible, but without a bad outcome ( re-admission ) which costs the company even more money. UM case management is a cost control department.

UM case managers employed by the hospital are a different animal, but there are still cost control ( reimbursement in the case of the hospital) goals as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas