Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,486,608 times

Advertisements

Camaro5, I am an RN familiar with the nursing profession in the LV valley. I agree with what Irish4evr has stated, healthcare is quite different in the area, and your wife may experience somewhat of a shock. There is much that could be improved on.

That said, if she would like to be working in the acute care realm of nursing, I recommend the St. Rose Dignity Health system. They are decent to work for, pay quite well, and have higher standards of care. They have 3 locations, 2 in Henderson, one south of Summerlin area.

Best of luck with your move, I think you'll appreciate the near constant sunshine of las vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,046,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Lots of nice used furniture etc out here on CL.
May be better off selling what you have and rebuying out here>
I know we are glad we did it that way !
Great advice for the OP.

We are purchasing in Henderson, closing sometime in late July-early August. I'm retired. Wife is RN.

We decided to sell most of our furniture. We already let our children (young adults) have some things they can use (and they picked). My wife enjoys decorating and wants to go in a new direction, so our next home is a fresh "canvas" for her ideas.

Our current home went under contract six days after I listed it. The prospective buyer accepted my quote to buy furniture. Waiting on appraisal, but buyer inspections (not comparing to appraisal) were flawless and market here is good right now.

I pre-moved some clothing, housewares, and things we did not want to sell in a moving truck direct to storage near our next home. The truck (20ft box), taxes and gas totaled near $1700 for a 1200 mile move. Yes, I will suck up storage fees for a few months, but I was going to store things to stage our home anyway.

I did not use a RE agent or a staging consultant--not opposed to either, just not needed in our situation.

Most exciting event in the move so far--my 25 year old daughter working that truck down IH-10 at 80mph (white-knuckled and one eye open--me).

Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM

38 posts, read 35,933 times
All,

I am planning a move to LV sometime this year as well. First of all, I can feel the good attitude that the OP has about things and that can go a long way to making yourself happy with a new situation. I am sure your wife will find something that works.

This thread is very relevant to me also because I am trying to decide about moving furniture or buying furniture from scratch when i get there. i have looked at a few place like Colleens (?) Consignements and that looks interesting. My furniture is in good condition but it is 20 years old and would cost about 5-7K to move a 1 bedroom apartment (2500 miles, full packing, some storage, etc). My thoughts are: if i can only get the small amount of money that I will probably get for my furniture, I can probably get furniture pretty cheap once I get there. But it woudl be nice not to have to go shopping for furniture. i am single and don't have a wife who wants to re-decorate!

Anyway, enough said. I know there are some furniture threads out there but if anyone knows of any recent additions or good ideas, lay them on me.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 AM

799 posts, read 709,847 times
We had a similar strategy with our move..we gave away what others wanted, threw away what was unusable, and tried to keep only a few pieces that we knew would work in our new place. It still took three trips with our 22' enclosed trailer/truck to move the house and garage items. Even after all that, I took four pickup loads of stuff to the dump.

The way I looked at it, if it cost less to buy new than to move the "replaceable" stuff, why would I move it? Fortunately, our move was only 250 miles one way, so each round trip was only about $150 in gas. If I was looking at a $7K moving bill, even some of the family heirlooms would have stayed behind...

We're still shopping for furniture, but that gives us something to do when we need a small diversion.

One thing to be aware of if you're moving from a long distance: when you go to get a "real id" drivers license, you'll need to have legal documents "proving" your name from birth to present. Not too tough for a guy, but if the wife has been divorced/widowed, you need marriage licenses, divorce decrees, etc to show each name change..and they have to be proper copies. My wife is going through this because of her ex, so it's involving at least one trip back to get it. So, if you are in this sort of situation, you may want to think about getting those documents in order, and in a safe place before you make the big move, when it's a bit easier..

Old 04-15-2016, 11:12 AM

792 posts, read 1,303,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
All,

I am planning a move to LV sometime this year as well. First of all, I can feel the good attitude that the OP has about things and that can go a long way to making yourself happy with a new situation. I am sure your wife will find something that works.

This thread is very relevant to me also because I am trying to decide about moving furniture or buying furniture from scratch when i get there. i have looked at a few place like Colleens (?) Consignements and that looks interesting. My furniture is in good condition but it is 20 years old and would cost about 5-7K to move a 1 bedroom apartment (2500 miles, full packing, some storage, etc). My thoughts are: if i can only get the small amount of money that I will probably get for my furniture, I can probably get furniture pretty cheap once I get there. But it woudl be nice not to have to go shopping for furniture. i am single and don't have a wife who wants to re-decorate!

Anyway, enough said. I know there are some furniture threads out there but if anyone knows of any recent additions or good ideas, lay them on me.
If I had one idea for you it would be to...not make any significant life changes until after this upcoming election . If you are following the headlines out here, the CCSD is spending money like a drunken sailor...and both City and County are gonna be scrambling for additional funding to accommodate all the new transplants. National news has told you that the five largest banks are not too big to fail...and if they did...there might not be any "bail out". The economy in Vegas is not, contrary to special interest groups...rock solid.

I have lived thru 3 economic downturns out here and they ain't pretty...real estate prices are once again...creating their own little bubble.

However, with that said...by all means...do what you gotta do....if you wait...and all the stars align...you should be able to find furniture real, real cheap...maybe even free.

I have some pretty decent financial advisors that have all strongly suggested to "cool your jets til the dust settles"......just a thought !

Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,893,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
My biggest worry is finding a good Italian beef sandwich.
Welcome to the forum. I lived in Hyde Park for years while in grad school at U of C. I miss REAL Chicago Pizza.

There is a place called "Windy City Beefs & Pizza" in Henderson close to Seven Hills and Silverado Ranch areas that you mention in your original post. It is on the corner of Silverado Ranch & Eastern. It is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall.

Quote:
9711 S. Eastern Ave
Las Vegas, Nevada 89183
Silverado Ranch Plaza – Southwest Corner of Silverado Ranch & Eastern.
In the Target Shopping Center
Here's their menu:

http://www.wcbnpizza.com/pdf/wcbnpizzaMenus_061414.pdf

Note item #10 on the menu:

Quote:
#10. Windy City’s Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
Thin Slices of Freshly Cooked Italian Beef with our own Au jus served on a
Chicago Italian Bread. Served Dry, wet or Dipped $7.50

Old 04-18-2016, 07:53 AM

6,757 posts, read 3,382,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Welcome to the forum. I lived in Hyde Park for years while in grad school at U of C. I miss REAL Chicago Pizza.

There is a place called "Windy City Beefs & Pizza" in Henderson close to Seven Hills and Silverado Ranch areas that you mention in your original post. It is on the corner of Silverado Ranch & Eastern. It is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do listen to what everybody has to say. We were talking last weekend about what to do with the furniture. I think we will give some of it to Christian Ministries and just move the things we really want to keep moving costs down. We could use some newer stuff anyway.

We have been paying ridiculous property taxes in Illinois and as some of you know, for the same value house the property taxes in Nevada are about 1/4 of what they are here. With no state income tax, that will really help. I know some things are higher out there but I think overall we'll come out ahead.

As for buying a place, while the interest write-off would be beneficial, we really don't want the house payment. Not having a mortgage is one of our goals, and we can do that. I'm not sure that as new residents we could get a very good loan to begin with. Since we'll probably have deadlines with selling here and buying there I'd rather pay cash and speed the process along. I'm not worried about finding a house. We've seen plenty of really nice places and I only wish we were ready to go a little sooner, but we need to stick around through the end of the year.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,893,192 times
Regarding furnishings, here in Las Vegas there is World Market, a furnishings expo twice per year. It is only open to the trade (wholesalers/retailers/designers), but after each show many of the showrooms sell off their showroom furniture to consignment stores to make space for new product for the next show. Sometimes, in consignment and used furniture stores, you can find brand new furnishings that were floor models in designer showrooms at World Market. So have your wife check out consignment stores as well as traditional retailers and online retailers.

And, since you're screen name is automotive, make sure you check out Cars and Coffee in Henderson on Saturday mornings. It is a weekly car show where you'll find like minded people and some pretty amazing cars - everything from classic restored vehicles to outrageously modified street rods to supercars. It's in the parking lot of a shopping center. Click on the map below.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...72096c4b41cc2d

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM

6,757 posts, read 3,382,156 times
Thank you for the suggestions. We have World Markets here, which is a store. It sounds like it is different there. it sounds like there are a lot of places to get some decent furniture at reasonable prices.

I have a friend in the Southern Nevada Camaro Club that has talked about the Cars and Coffee get togethers. That sounds like something I would really be interested in to meet some new friends. We have several friends living there already, but that would be great.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 PM

294 posts, read 337,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
My biggest worry is finding a good Italian beef sandwich.
Have you given Earl of Sandwich a shot in your many trips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas