Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 03:13 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

So I just got home from the Smith's on Ann and Decatur, which was my go to for groceries the first time I lived out here...the store was jam packed and I commented that to the manager who rang up the few things I bought. She explained to me that because it was the beginning of the month, all the people on food stamps and WIC were coming in to shop, and I told her I found that surprising because I always perceived the area around Ann/Decatur to be a "nice" area. She went on to explain that a lot of section 8 recipients were moving into homes and apartments around the neighborhood

These comments were confirmed by a friend of mine who lives near Camino Al Norte that said a lot of section 8 recipients were moving in all over around her neighborhood as well as in Aliante

Also saw a woman standing at the intersection of Ann and Decatur holding a sign begging for food on my drive back to my place

So has this become a thing? It seems poverty is spread out much further across the valley than the first time I lived here, or at least it's more visible in the "nice" areas of NLV and Centennial Hills

Old 04-03-2016, 03:37 PM

85 posts, read 63,242 times
That's what happens when government assistance pays out more than jobs. Work 40 hours for 800 a month or sit at home and make 30k a year. I know which one I'd prefer.
Have to get employers paying decent wages, and get people skilled so they can fill the vacant jobs. People need incentive, and 7.25 is not an incentive.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
That's what happens when government assistance pays out more than jobs. Work 40 hours for 800 a month or sit at home and make 30k a year. I know which one I'd prefer.
Have to get employers paying decent wages, and get people skilled so they can fill the vacant jobs. People need incentive, and 7.25 is not an incentive.
How does one get 30k a year sitting at home?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Food stamps, rent assistance (section 8 or other) energy assistance, welfare, and other programs.

1,000 a month rent is 12,000 alone. Minimum wage brings home 11k~ You're already ahead there.
600 a month in food stamps 7200. 18,200. That's just 2 of the programs.

http://watchdog.org/102295/in-many-s...est-days-work/

Old 04-03-2016, 08:01 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
No, gov has to stop handing out perpetual welfare with no limits on when one has to find a job. It's a system that enables idle behavior.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM

You could do that, but be prepared for a huge increase in crime.

There's, at least, 17 million people looking for jobs. There's currently 5 million available jobs. 3 million of those jobs pay less than 15 an hour. The bulk of them are minimum wage or just a few cents over. When you take away people's standard of living and give them options like MAYBE get a minimum wage job that won't even cover basic living, they are going to resort to criminal activities.

45 million Americans are on food stamps. Cut off 45 million people from their ability to procure food, and it's going to get ugly fast.

Even more dire, there's 109 million people on welfare. That means there are more people on welfare than there are people working full time.

Cut income from 1/3 of the country and feces are going to hit the fan with such force it sheers the blades off.

5 million open jobs, 109,000,000 who will need more income = bad.

America needs jobs that pay adequately. Even the lowest skilled worker needs to make enough income to sustain a modest standard of living without the need for government subsidization.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
You're totally inaccurate about how much in assistance is offered. Try more like $600 a month for an individual and $40 a month for food stamps. Families of course, get more but it also takes more to keep them going.

Ann and Decatur? I don't know how long you have been gone but from the time I moved here 6 years ago, I was told to stay away from anything Decatur.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Sometimes. It does vary by state. If you'll click on the link I posted, it outlines what I was saying.

I've known families of 4 that get 650-880 a month in just food stamps. While not all people get a full 30k, it IS available if you're even the slightest bit savvy. I make well over 30k, so it's not an attractive option for me. However, if something happens and I have to go back to minimum wage, I won't hesitate to jump on government assistance. I'll be poor either way but at least on assistance I'll be able to feed my family.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:33 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
You could do that, but be prepared for a huge increase in crime.

There's, at least, 17 million people looking for jobs. There's currently 5 million available jobs. 3 million of those jobs pay less than 15 an hour. The bulk of them are minimum wage or just a few cents over. When you take away people's standard of living and give them options like MAYBE get a minimum wage job that won't even cover basic living, they are going to resort to criminal activities.

45 million Americans are on food stamps. Cut off 45 million people from their ability to procure food, and it's going to get ugly fast.

Even more dire, there's 109 million people on welfare. That means there are more people on welfare than there are people working full time.

Cut income from 1/3 of the country and feces are going to hit the fan with such force it sheers the blades off.

5 million open jobs, 109,000,000 who will need more income = bad.

America needs jobs that pay adequately. Even the lowest skilled worker needs to make enough income to sustain a modest standard of living without the need for government subsidization.
Nonsense. There's a thing called putting some effort into it all and do something like starting one's own business. If one doesn't want to educate themselves in a field that's in demand, be a re seller on ebay. Offer a service that requires very little capital. Offer handyman services. Cleaning services. Dog sitting services. Clean carpets/floors. On and on and on. TONS of people are looking for these kind of services. I know a few people who do such things and they can't keep up with the work.

But I'm sure you have a pile of excuses why this isn't possible so I'll end it there. Please continue to rely on the gov to help "create" jobs, "train" people, and all will be fine I'm sure.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:40 PM

I am not saying we need the government to create jobs. I am saying we need the government to do it's job regulating commerce and providing for the general welfare of the country. A county that's 53% poor is not a healthy country.
Businesses setting up shell corporations in the Cayman islands to skirt taxes is not healthy.
The fastest growing job market paying the bare minimum required by law is not healthy.
The government doesn't need to create jobs, it's needs to set the law of the land so that business that profit here have to employ people here and produce goods here. Even China understands this. They require a certain percentage of goods to be made in China. There's no reason we can't do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: