Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 PM

85 posts, read 63,610 times

Advertisements

What people fail to realize when they say things like that is that we NEED teachers. We NEED janitors. We NEED fast food workers. We can't have 200 million lawyers, hedge fund managers, and doctors. We need a wide range of jobs done to keep the country civilized. Punishing people with absurdly low wages for filling in a gap in society is harmful to us all.
Instead of the employers paying their employees enough to live off, they rely on the government to help out and subsidize their low pay at OUR expense. I personally would rather pay 50 cents more for a taco so employees can afford food than to pay extra tax so the government can subsidize the crappy business models.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:27 PM

55 posts, read 87,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Can you make coffee?
Where is this?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:54 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
What people fail to realize when they say things like that is that we NEED teachers. We NEED janitors. We NEED fast food workers. We can't have 200 million lawyers, hedge fund managers, and doctors. We need a wide range of jobs done to keep the country civilized. Punishing people with absurdly low wages for filling in a gap in society is harmful to us all.
Instead of the employers paying their employees enough to live off, they rely on the government to help out and subsidize their low pay at OUR expense. I personally would rather pay 50 cents more for a taco so employees can afford food than to pay extra tax so the government can subsidize the crappy business models.
Yes we do. But these jobs weren't meant to be long term jobs for people far along in adulthood, let alone jobs to support a family. They were largely part time jobs for people looking for a little extra money, young adults in high school/college, etc. From there, people move along, better themselves via education, start their own business, etc. This has nothing to do with "punishing". Your thought process appears to operate in a victim type mode and idealistic, ie that business mainly exists to provide jobs to people. This is not how reality works.

And as for these raises in min wages for such jobs over the coming years in certain states, it's going to bite ugly on the matter. You'll see far more use of widespread automated jobs such as what's happening in fast food service.

Robots will replace fast-food workers - May. 22, 2014

You're seeing the same thing happening with self-checkouts in all types of stores. Be careful what you wish for as the market will react in ways that the gov has no control over even though it's sold to the herd this way.

Last edited by stevek64; 04-04-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 PM

Where did that notion come from? The notion that some jobs are just temporary things for kids? Especially when most of these businesses are open during school hours thus kids CAN'T work them. These are full time jobs that last all year, not a gift wrapping job at the mall that's only good in December.

As far as automation goes, companies started automating over a decade ago. I saw self checkout machines at Walmart a decade ago. They have had automated pizza making machines for at least 10 years. They have automated welders, and assembly robots. This is just stuff I have personally seen. In the very near future EVERYTHING is going to be automated. I am actually amazed there's still office workers. As of several years ago we had the technology to replace entire floors of office buildings with a single computer. We have automated lawn mowers and vacuums. So many jobs can already be replaced with automation it's scary.

You might want to check history, there's no job loss when minimum wage is raised, many times, job numbers actually grow.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:04 PM

84 posts, read 93,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes we do. But these jobs weren't meant to be long term jobs for people far along in adulthood, let alone jobs to support a family. They were largely part time jobs for people looking for a little extra money, young adults in high school/college, etc. From there, people move along, better themselves via education, start their own business, etc. This has nothing to do with "punishing". Your thought process appears to operate in a victim type mode and idealistic, ie that business mainly exists to provide jobs to people. This is not how reality works.

And as for these raises in min wages for such jobs over the coming years in certain states, it's going to bite ugly on the matter. You'll see far more use of widespread automated jobs such as what's happening in fast food service.

Robots will replace fast-food workers - May. 22, 2014

You're seeing the same thing happening with self-checkouts in all types of stores. Be careful what you wish for as the market will react in ways that the gov has no control over even though it's sold to the herd this way.
At least robots won't get my order wrong.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM

The robots are only taking the order, you still have under paid people behind the counter making your food.

Can't expect quality work for minimum pay....

Old 04-04-2016, 08:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,925 times
Quote:
Where did that notion come from? The notion that some jobs are just temporary things for kids? Especially when most of these businesses are open during school hours thus kids CAN'T work them. These are full time jobs that last all year, not a gift wrapping job at the mall that's only good in December.

As far as automation goes, companies started automating over a decade ago. I saw self checkout machines at Walmart a decade ago. They have had automated pizza making machines for at least 10 years. They have automated welders, and assembly robots. This is just stuff I have personally seen. In the very near future EVERYTHING is going to be automated. I am actually amazed there's still office workers. As of several years ago we had the technology to replace entire floors of office buildings with a single computer. We have automated lawn mowers and vacuums. So many jobs can already be replaced with automation it's scary.

You might want to check history, there's no job loss when minimum wage is raised, many times, job numbers actually grow.
My entire point you took out of context as I didn't state they were jobs just for kids:

Quote:
But these jobs weren't meant to be long term jobs for people far along in adulthood, let alone jobs to support a family. They were largely part time jobs for people looking for a little extra money, young adults in high school/college, etc. From there, people move along, better themselves via education, start their own business, etc.
Agree on the automation aspect, especially taking out lots of minimum wage jobs. My point was largely about the hike in minimum wage in some states will just accelerate this process/trend, just how obamacare increased part time work by companies. And as for minimum wage being raised, in CA based on the numbers I've seen, these are very large increases over years that I think is unprecedented in regards to minimum wage hikes so I would expect to see unprecedented steps taken by business to offset it.

Quote:
The robots are only taking the order, you still have under paid people behind the counter making your food.

Can't expect quality work for minimum pay....
Not true:

Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds

Momentum Machines Burger Robot - Business Insider

http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/11/fr...g-machine.html

Now the question becomes.....will people stop protesting and figure out that the jobs are in creating, programming, maintaining the machines or continue with the excuses? Seems that's where their efforts should be directed too instead of trying to control the uncontrollable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
At least robots won't get my order wrong.
There you go. And they don't protest how they aren't paid enough to do unskilled labor.

Last edited by stevek64; 04-04-2016 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
But these jobs weren't meant to be long term jobs for people far along in adulthood, let alone jobs to support a family. They were largely part time jobs for people looking for a little extra money, young adults in high school/college, etc.

This is what you said^ other than "far along into adulthood" which is ambiguous, my reply addresses what you said.

So, I'll ask this. Who deemed that these jobs are for that particular group of people? Was there an act of congress I missed?

I have yet to see an automated food line in service. I have seen hundreds of self check outs.
More than likely, if you order food through an automated machine, there will be humans making the food you ordered. At least for the next few years. A lot of franchisees are unsure of the technology. They understand that it's a big risk if it doesn't work well for them.
I worked at a pizza place, the boss got catalogs of pizza supplies. They had assembly lines in them. I asked him why he didn't buy one instead of paying 4 people to run the line.
He said he didn't trust it. If his only machine breaks down, he's screwed. If an employee calls in sick, there's 3 others to take up the slack.

That being said, once that technology becomes widely accepted, we're all getting replaced. Personally, I can't wait until it knocks the smug look off people's faces when they say ignorant things like "you want 15 an hour? Here's a robot to replace you." it's going to happen sooner than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: