Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 AM

85 posts, read 63,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The best Rx for millennials with degrees who are either un-employed or under-employed is substantial economic growth... yet millennials by and large support Presidential candidates who propose policies that are anti-growth. Millennials are poised to vote against their own interests.
They're not voting for Trump or Cruz or Clinton. They're voting for the guy who economists say will drastically improve the economy and lead to massive growth, so, no, they are not voting against their own best interest, you are.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:52 AM

555 posts, read 778,737 times
SECTION 8 has been closed to new applicants for quite some time; an existing section 8 recipient will move anywhere that takes their voucher. my co-worker lives in a gated community with 400k+ homes and she has a section 8 neighbor. It is what it is.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM

55 posts, read 87,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
I'm so sick of the millennial hate. Especially from the generations that could go from high school to a middle class paying factory job that afforded them a house.

Now, we have people who have spent 2-4 years in school to get a degree to get a job that pays so little they have to get food stamps. It's ridiculous. It's not entitlement to expect an adequate wage from doing what you were coached to do all through elementary, middle, and high school, which is go to school, get a degree, then buy a house.
When these entry level jobs you think they should just take don't pay enough to live let alone live and pay back the massive student loan debt, it's BS. I wouldn't do it either. If the millennial's parents didn't allow elected officials to sell our jobs to China, and then crash the economy irresponsibly buying houses they couldn't afford, maybe these millennials wouldn't sound so entitled to you because they'd be making adequate wages.
All I know is that my personal situation SUCKS!!! $60000 in debt for student loans for a degree I haven't even used. Stuck on food stamps and a slummy apartment. I am educated and willing to work and yet I can't get a job period, not even one that pays $8.25. The government is helping those who are not willing to help themselves. Those who are willing to help themselves are the ones who struggle the most.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,922,049 times
Quote:
They're not voting for Trump or Cruz or Clinton. They're voting for the guy who economists say will drastically improve the economy and lead to massive growth, so, no, they are not voting against their own best interest, you are.

Kasich?

Certainly not Sanders. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ers/?tid=a_inl

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 04-04-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 12:19 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,497,714 times
Quote:
Logic check time:

Sander's believe congress/gov is corrupt and bought off, serves the donors not the people. And I agree with him. Yet sander's wants this bought off/corrupt gov that doesn't serve the people by his own definition to have far more control over our lives, run/manage more programs, etc.

In my view, this sounds like an idea from an individual who is illogical at best and possibly unstable or senile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing4me View Post
All I know is that my personal situation SUCKS!!! $60000 in debt for student loans for a degree I haven't even used. Stuck on food stamps and a slummy apartment. I am educated and willing to work and yet I can't get a job period, not even one that pays $8.25. The government is helping those who are not willing to help themselves. Those who are willing to help themselves are the ones who struggle the most.
Work for yourself and provide a service that is in demand. I have more than a few friends with zero degree who are doing very, very well watching dogs, cleaning carpets, providing handyman services, selling things on ebay as resellers, etc. Complaining and doing the same thing over and over again......well, you probably know the modified definition of insanity.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:44 PM

698 posts, read 990,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So I just got home from the Smith's on Ann and Decatur, which was my go to for groceries the first time I lived out here...the store was jam packed and I commented that to the manager who rang up the few things I bought. She explained to me that because it was the beginning of the month, all the people on food stamps and WIC were coming in to shop, and I told her I found that surprising because I always perceived the area around Ann/Decatur to be a "nice" area. She went on to explain that a lot of section 8 recipients were moving into homes and apartments around the neighborhood

These comments were confirmed by a friend of mine who lives near Camino Al Norte that said a lot of section 8 recipients were moving in all over around her neighborhood as well as in Aliante

Also saw a woman standing at the intersection of Ann and Decatur holding a sign begging for food on my drive back to my place

So has this become a thing? It seems poverty is spread out much further across the valley than the first time I lived here, or at least it's more visible in the "nice" areas of NLV and Centennial Hills
My SIL works for a major grocery chain here in the valley. He told me what you're seeing is due to Food 4 Less recently closing it's doors here in Vegas (I think he said it was in 2015). They converted four of their stores to Smiths and closed another seven I believe. He tells me a large portion of these former Food 4 Less customers now go to Smith's and Winco. I'd guess this is what you're seeing.

As a side note, we won't go to the grocery store now the first week of the month unless we absolutely have to. Last time we did we witnessed a shouting match break out (almost turned physical) and when speaking with a manager at the store he told me there was a fight earlier in the day.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing4me View Post
Can you make coffee?

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 04-04-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 01:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,109,881 times
I also avoid shopping the first week of the month and for that exact reason.

Some people will work forever for low wage jobs. But a lot of people will eventually come to the conclusion there is nothing to work towards and more or less check out. Learn to just get by.

How many years would you be willing to work 60 hours a week, multiple part time jobs, no bennies, no time off? And you still make so little money your family qualifies for things like SNAP. Sure I did things like this when I was working my way through school. We all did. But we knew it was temporary. We were just paying our dues till we could get a real job. Here you could work your whole life and still be earning nothing when you are 40.

I have a friend in her 50's. She is a supervisor in a player's club. She has a degree from Penn State and she has been working for the same company for more than 25 years. She does have benefits because she works full time and she pays for them by payroll deduction. She makes $13 per hour. Stop and think about this. 25 years and $13 per hour. MAYBE by the time she retires she will make $15 per hour.

We need to face the fact there are few middle class jobs here. And fewer all the time as wages race to the bottom due to technology, globalization, corporate greed, and immigration. Anyone willing to work should have a decent minimal standard of living. And no one who is working 40 hours a week should be paid so poorly they qualify for government benefits. In 1968 the minimum wage would support a family of three people(US DOL). Today the minimum wage won't support one person. And if you live in Las Vegas there is a very good chance you could work hard for decades and never make much more than that.

I read a great article the other day. Did you know the top 25 hedge fund managers in NYC make more than all the kindergarten teachers(158,000 people) in the US? And most likely pay less in taxes, percentage wise. Politifact says it's true. Hillary Clinton: Top hedge fund managers make more than all kindergarten teachers combined | PolitiFact

Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

85 posts, read 63,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Try again.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/08/news...s-income-jobs/

Old 04-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Maybe those kindergarten teachers should try being hedge fund managers instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: