Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM

185 posts, read 1,216,372 times

Advertisements

thanks JFK for your response---again, we are really in the early "thinking" about stage of moving... vegas keeps popping up in our minds... we are really looking for a better quality of life... this kind of decision is not one I can make without doing a significant amount of research---my husband will be there in a few weeks and I was going to set him up with a realtor to see some houses and get a better sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
there are several Jewish publications in Las Vegas as well,

Jewish Life & Style Las Vegas
4535 W. Sahara Ave., suite 211
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 616-2858

Las Vegas Israelite
PO Box 14096
Las Vegas, NV 89114

Jonathan

Old 02-28-2011, 02:29 PM

thanks Jon, i will look into these.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
thanks JFK for your response---again, we are really in the early "thinking" about stage of moving... vegas keeps popping up in our minds... we are really looking for a better quality of life... this kind of decision is not one I can make without doing a significant amount of research---my husband will be there in a few weeks and I was going to set him up with a realtor to see some houses and get a better sense...

Can't speak to the Jewish-areas questions, but as someone who lived in NYC and Jersey City, and spent a good deal of time on LI, and recently moved to Vegas, I'd say you're on target that it's a better quality of life here with great entertainment and dining options (as in NYC metro). My fiancee and I wish we'd made the move sooner. Come out here, get a realtor, and find out just how nice (and affordable) your quality of life can be out here compared to NYC area.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Much of the Jewish community centers around Summerlin...though the population is well spread throughout Vegas. The Adelson Campus is located in Summerlin with everything from preschool to high school. Easy access to the Summerlin facilities is available anywhere on the west side.

Which tract is more driven by life style and economics. Suitable places are readily available at this point in the economic cycle.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Can't speak to the Jewish-areas questions, but as someone who lived in NYC and Jersey City, and spent a good deal of time on LI, and recently moved to Vegas, I'd say you're on target that it's a better quality of life here with great entertainment and dining options (as in NYC metro). My fiancee and I wish we'd made the move sooner. Come out here, get a realtor, and find out just how nice (and affordable) your quality of life can be out here compared to NYC area.
Robustus-i appreciate your input. I am pleased to hear you are "happy" with your move. My other half and I always liked vegas...only recently, did we speak to someone (who relocated there from westchester) who told us about Summerlin--particularly The Ridge--and how it is this very special community and how so many jewish families are moving out there... In any event, i think we could be happier elsewhere...
I wonder, besides "the strip" itself, how is the traffic and congestion in surrounding areas? Does vegas have mega stores like target and walmart? Do kids go to camp in the summer? I have a lot of scatterred questions as I have never resided on the west coast...
thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Robustus-i appreciate your input. I am pleased to hear you are "happy" with your move. My other half and I always liked vegas...only recently, did we speak to someone (who relocated there from westchester) who told us about Summerlin--particularly The Ridge--and how it is this very special community and how so many jewish families are moving out there... In any event, i think we could be happier elsewhere...
I wonder, besides "the strip" itself, how is the traffic and congestion in surrounding areas? Does vegas have mega stores like target and walmart? Do kids go to camp in the summer? I have a lot of scatterred questions as I have never resided on the west coast...
thanks in advance.
Be a little cautious of your source. The Ridges is a quite upscale but rather small community in Summerlin. It is very nice but one of a few dozen around town. And it has a significant jewish population I suppose but no more than any number of other places. If you wish to build a 10 or 12 million dollar residence it has some wonderful sites. But otherwise it is another upper middle class suburb. In the manner of such upscale places it is mildly isolated buit around a golf course.

Las Vegas has megastores - though target and walmart would be considered more neighborhood stores.

There simply is no traffic comparable to LI. Even the I15 next to the strip cannot get to the standard of the LIE on a bad night. You can get all the way across town...something like 30 miles in less than 45 minutes virtually all the time.

I too am an LI product in a way. A graduate of Carle Place High School. Still got an Aunt out there who teaches Tai Chi to the Hadassah groups mid island.

The summer camp thing is mostly NY...does not even extend to Chicago in the NY way...so it is long gone by the time you get to Vegas.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
Summer camp in Las Vegas sounds like a Oxy Moron.
I went to Camp Lag-Ba-oh-mar myself as a kid in Upstate NY, Some of the worst experiences of my life (grin) (esp color war) - There are a number of Kosher Deli's and restaurants in the area as well.

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: