Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,010,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have hundreds of dupes. I have two Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab releases of Magical Mystery Tour, for instance. I'm in the process of cataloging my collection, so I'll have a complete list shortly. I'm up to the "Q's" -- Queen, Quarterflash, etc.

Then I have a few hundred unsorted records to add. Probably a week or so of work.
oh wow.. quarter flash was my favorite.. Rindy Ross (i think) was the lead singer... i think they are into grass music now up in oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
Quote:
So, does anyone want to trade (or buy) my classic rock duplicates (all EXC+ to NM-) before I haul them all over to 11th Street and sell them there to make room for more albums?

Even better, anyone have commercial reel-to-reel tapes they want to be rid of?
Crap! I got rid of ours before we moved here. I would have given them to you for the small price of tranferring what was on them to CD or usb.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
We were fortunate in the late 70's early 80's (for a while) in that a good friend worked for a record distributor. We got a very reduced cost on albums. We started with all the Beatles and then switched to Jefferson Airplane - and she quit!

If we would have had fair warning we would have pulled money out of savings and gone nuts.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,539,618 times
Quote:
The setup is sitting on carpet, about three feet from one of the speakers. And while the table may be walnut, and have an isolation block, it's still sitting on carpet and padding. It also looks like the speakers are sitting directly on the floor. I'd try a little air space under them.

As far as I'm concerned, the turntable should sit on something seriously heavy. (One person should be incapable of moving it.)

No matter what you do, loudspeakers create vibration. All you can do is minimize it.

I wouldn't rush out and buy three sets of Vibrapods -- just approximate and see if that makes things quieter.

well there is where we differ... I didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment on a whim and not knowing what works and what does not. I could tell you what ACTUALLY works and what does not, but it seems you are set in your ways so that would be fruitless at best. there is a lot of smoke and mirrors out there.

FYI... My Klipsch Cornwalls weigh in excess of 100lbs each, they don't vibrate... nothing vibrates.

As Paul Klipsch used to often say:

Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,003,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
FYI... My Klipsch Cornwalls weigh in excess of 100lbs each, they don't vibrate... nothing vibrates.

If they didn't vibrate, they wouldn't produce any sound. Seriously, think about what loudspeakers DO.

If I could, I'd have my turntable in a separate room. If you think I'm totally blowing smoke, take the picture of your rig to one of the high-end audiophile forums and ask them to suggest improvements. I'm pretty sure they'd suggest that you place the TT on something more sturdy.

But let's face it, if it works for you, that's really all that matters. I read, but don't participate in the audio forums. There's no point in that it's usually a bunch for Ford vs. Chevy fanboy crap. Audio is truly is "ear of the belistener." There's no consequence to audio -- nobody will be discriminated against, nobody will be injured, there is no jeopardy to one's future for selecting the wrong cartridge.

But let's face it, you have speakers which are designed to produce vibration -- that's what they do. And you have a turntable that is hampered by the production of vibrations. That's just how it is.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:38 PM

2,554 posts, read 2,741,423 times
I like a lot of bass. It sends a shockwave in the air which sometimes skips the record on the turntable.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Crap! I got rid of ours before we moved here. I would have given them to you for the small price of tranferring what was on them to CD or usb.
The advantage to records (and tape reels) is that it's analog. There is no point to transferring vinyl to CD. What you gain by avoiding the Loudness Wars you lose from the fact that consumer-grade digitizing equipment is far inferior to having access to the master tape and digitizing from a 2nd-gen working master. (This is why reel-to-reel is going to be the next big thing -- if the record labels feel like producing 15ips tapes for sale, or allow small operators to do so. With tape, the listener is only 2 generations away from the mixing board.)

Just download digital copies of your albums, if that's what you want. Or if you don't like the idea of downloading, you can replace your entire music library with used CDs for not much money. Then use EAC to rip the discs and you're good to go. Digital has its uses, after all -- turntables aren't very useful when traveling.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:49 PM

I could never get into tape again. The 8-track and cassette were terrible to deal with. I like the reel-to-reel but it is time consuming to put music on the tapes and then find the music when you want to play it. It might be fun to play with when I retire and have more time.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:59 PM

If reel-to-reel makes a comeback, it won't be for it's recording ability. Utes strategy for using the reel-to-reel to save wear-and-tear on vinyl made sense back in the day, even though he was losing another generation of fidelity away from the source tapes.

The point to reel-to-reel is the sort of thing the Tape Project is currently doing -- making real-time copies at 15ips off the working master. That yields stunning fidelity, which puts vinyl to shame. There are only a scant handful of such reels available for purchase, though. And the reels are selling in the $300 range -- which is fair considering the work that goes into making them.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 PM

So these would already have studio quality music on them? That does sound interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas