Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,369,717 times

Advertisements

One of my faves besides antiques, pottery, advertising, etc., I've been collecting for almost thirty years, I'm a music lover... my tastes tend to run from the 60's to 70's rock, psych, and prog but I like a lot of other styles too... most of what I try to collect and seek out is rather obscure to some but I like a lot of the mainstream music too... I'd like to hear from other collectors, if there any out there on this circuit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,191,469 times
Mine is more an accidental collection, LOL. It's what I had growing up and just never got rid of. Since I have stuff from the late 50's onto the 70's...it's a fairly eclectic collection. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 07:12 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Vinyl here. Collecting since the 1960's ... and still buying recordings from the 1950's to present. I make it a point when we go to major cities to check out the recycled records shops.

Mainly obscure classical recordings of favorite performers 40's-70's, 60-70's R&R and Jazz, solo piano/guitar/cello 50's-80's albums, classic Scottish & Irish folk music, US folk music. Add in a smattering of Silly Wizard and other more recent folk music in modern format, SteelyeSpan, Jefferson Airplane, Enya, Joe Cocker, John Entwhistle, Cowboy Junkies, and it's a pretty varied collection.

Preference given to exceptional pressings/musical presence/exceptional performances. A lot of HarmoniaMundi, DeutschGramophone, and other Euro pressings; have many USA pressed/released albums and have sought out the Euro press/released albums of the same ... you can really hear the difference, especially in acoustic instruments and natural vocals.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,777 times
I stupidly unloaded all my vinyl albums several years ago...http://www.sledxtreme.com/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif (broken link) but I did hang onto one. Maybe someone here has an answer for me. I bought a Supertramp album "Made in America" back in the seventies. I popped it onto the turntable and listened to side one then flipped it over and much to my surprise side two is the Police! So I have an album that has two different artist on it when it was supposed to just be one. Anybody ever heard of this before?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Vinyl here. Collecting since the 1960's ... and still buying recordings from the 1950's to present. I make it a point when we go to major cities to check out the recycled records shops.

Mainly obscure classical recordings of favorite performers 40's-70's, 60-70's R&R and Jazz, solo piano/guitar/cello 50's-80's albums, classic Scottish & Irish folk music, US folk music. Add in a smattering of Silly Wizard and other more recent folk music in modern format, SteelyeSpan, Jefferson Airplane, Enya, Joe Cocker, John Entwhistle, Cowboy Junkies, and it's a pretty varied collection.

Preference given to exceptional pressings/musical presence/exceptional performances. A lot of HarmoniaMundi, DeutschGramophone, and other Euro pressings; have many USA pressed/released albums and have sought out the Euro press/released albums of the same ... you can really hear the difference, especially in acoustic instruments and natural vocals.
Sounds pretty diverse...I like that You mentioned the Airplane... I'm going to see Hot Tuna on August 3rd (electric) at Skippers Smokehouse... Jorma and Jack will be a show to follow... can't wait until Savoy Brown returns too... whats your take on the first 5 Fleetwood Mac Lp's?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
While I respect the musical talent of Fleetwood Mac ... I just never got into their albums, sorry.

Thats the situation with a lot of well-known big sellers for me ... I just didn't get into their music. Was just listening to Persuasion's "We came to play" now .... after Loreena McKennit's "the visit". Had the Studer warmed up earlier with some Johnny Cunningham tapes from a live performance at a school back in Nova Scotia a few years back.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM

41,978 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I don't necessarily collect them, but I've got a bunch. More than 500 at last count, not including 45s. I didn't quit buying records until 1990, when my favorite record store quit carrying vinyl. I've got stuff from classical Spanish guitar and cheesy salutes to the Glenn Miller Orchestra, to Joy Division and the Cult.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
While I respect the musical talent of Fleetwood Mac ... I just never got into their albums, sorry.

Thats the situation with a lot of well-known big sellers for me ... I just didn't get into their music. Was just listening to Persuasion's "We came to play" now .... after Loreena McKennit's "the visit". Had the Studer warmed up earlier with some Johnny Cunningham tapes from a live performance at a school back in Nova Scotia a few years back.
I'm not talking about the bleating lamb stevie nicks version or even the prior bob welsh setup (which it pretty good too), I'm talking about the 1st three lp's, Fleetwood Mac (1968), English Rose (1969), Then Play On... (1969). If You like John Mayall or Early Savoy Brown then these are to be checked out. These three are nothing like anything after and anybody whom I've played them for hadn't a clue as to who it was.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't necessarily collect them, but I've got a bunch. More than 500 at last count, not including 45s. I didn't quit buying records until 1990, when my favorite record store quit carrying vinyl. I've got stuff from classical Spanish guitar and cheesy salutes to the Glenn Miller Orchestra, to Joy Division and the Cult.
Glenn Miller Orchestra and The Joy Division, its like black and white, up and down, life and death...

Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Anyone need a good turntable for 45 & 33?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques