Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:06 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,152,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
My impression is the Uber is not necessarily a full-time gig for anyone, although, if someone wanted to hustle, I imagine they could make it one. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind helping out someone in my neighborhood and making a little spending money at the same time.
Ditto. It's a good business model. That's why it's a threat. It reminds me very much of how Stations has gone after Dottys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I failed Econ 101? Really...
Yeah, you're right... I think I'd like to buy a new car every other year, pay for tires, brakes and oil changes constantly, give up my paid vacation, give up all my medical benefits, give up my 401k, give up the right to pick up on the strip and airport, give up free roadside assistance for my family, give up my cell discount, give up free meals available daily at multiple locations throughout the city... And many more things... Just to make $11 an hour with Uber?

Should I keep going or is it starting to click..?
The reviews that you posted are a good example I why over-hiring won't matter. Just look at all the ex-uber drivers that quit. It wasn't worth it to them to work for uber. But out of the 100 or so negative reviews, there are a couple of uber drivers who are living it up and flourishing. The uber market will balance itself out.

Overall I would like for both taxis and ubers to exist.(along with any other alternative that comes along)

Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,956,714 times
Quote:
I failed Econ 101? Really...
Yeah, you're right... I think I'd like to buy a new car every other year, pay for tires, brakes and oil changes constantly, give up my paid vacation, give up all my medical benefits, give up my 401k, give up the right to pick up on the strip and airport, give up free roadside assistance for my family, give up my cell discount, give up free meals available daily at multiple locations throughout the city... And many more things... Just to make $11 an hour with Uber?

Should I keep going or is it starting to click..?
In other words, "Waahhhh! I want to keep my monopoly so I can get perks and earn less money while being more lazy!"

Just watch how long that lasts... just you watch...

Old 10-30-2014, 01:33 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,630,183 times
Okay you guys clearly don't have much experience in this... I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, but you don't understand the cost of things.
Aside from the insane expenses Uber drivers face, you have to understand this isn't Uber San Fran or Uber Boston.. Places where the need for vehicles is spread out.

Why do you think cab drivers aren't hanging out in the suburbs?
That's not where the money is.

I hate to break it to you guys, but your once per month trip to the airport from Summerlin is a waste of time to 99% of these drivers. That's not where the business is at.

Uber drivers are going to sit.. And sit... And sit... So they can have the suburbs, that's fine. They will be starving for money because the true need for transportation here is so centralized (where the cabs are) compared to any other major city in the United States.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
And you seem to be blind to the fact that the cab industry is about as well-regarded in Las Vegas as a dose of the clap. They ruined the monorail. They drag down our reputation by long-hauling visitors -- OUR bread and butter. It leaves a bad taste in a visitors mouth when the first and last things that happen to them in Las Vegas is being screwed over by a cab driver.

Open source is going to happen everywhere -- not just operating systems and classified ads.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
In other words, "Waahhhh! I want to keep my monopoly so I can get perks and earn less money while being more lazy!"

Just watch how long that lasts... just you watch...
Uhm, I'm pretty sure everyone in America working for an employer enjoys their benefits and perks... The point of listing my benefits is to explain how driving for uber is not going to make you more money... But I guess that makes me a crybaby somehow.

How does any of this make cabbies lazy

Old 10-30-2014, 01:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
Why do you think cab drivers aren't hanging out in the suburbs?
That's not where the money is.

I hate to break it to you guys, but your once per month trip to the airport from Summerlin is a waste of time to 99% of these drivers. That's not where the business is at.

Uber drivers are going to sit.. And sit... And sit... So they can have the suburbs, that's fine.
So, do you feel sympathy for uber drivers trying to make a living or are you against both taxis and ubers coexisting? From what you posted above, there seems to be a need for a taxi alternative. Am I wrong?

By the way, some part time ubers may be satisfied with the once a month airport pick-up/drop-off. It really doesn't make sense for me to land at a busy airport, walk to a taxi stand with dozens of empty taxis, ask 50 of them for a ride off the strip and get rejected.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And you seem to be blind to the fact that the cab industry is about as well-regarded in Las Vegas as a dose of the clap. They ruined the monorail. They drag down our reputation by long-hauling visitors -- OUR bread and butter. It leaves a bad taste in a visitors mouth when the first and last things that happen to them in Las Vegas is being screwed over by a cab driver.

Open source is going to happen everywhere -- not just operating systems and classified ads.
Obviously every cab experience in vegas is going to be a nightmare for you when you have that kind of an attitude. Cabbies themselves really have nothing to do with what the city's infrastructure is... and believe it or not, not every cab driver long hauls.

I consider myself a damn good driver and try to connect with each customer I have in a positive way... so there's no need to tell me that our city's livelihood depends on the tourists -- I fully realize that. I could potentially be someone's first or last impression of Vegas and there is great responsibility in that. I take serious offense to you saying "they drag down our reputation" when I take pride in doing the exact opposite.

The whole "oh they long hauled me" thing is getting a little bit old too...

Here's an idea!

You live here and are familiar with the city, yes??

Well if a driver is long hauling you, call them out on it! Put that T.A. and Metro number in your phone. Tell them that if the ride isn't free, TA and Metro will be called. If TA and Metro are sent, that driver will not be licensed anymore... be proactive! Those drivers should not be driving because certain lovely people will start assuming every driver in Vegas does that and it makes us all look like garbage.

You realize cabbies work on an Averaging system, correct?

So do you really think the honest cabbies are thrilled that long-haulers are staying on the road? We can't stand it, either... but since we aren't the passengers, we can't report them.

HINT HINT

Old 10-30-2014, 03:54 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,152,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Scoop owes me a new monitor. He is absolutely correct in his assessment about the clap, but he does manage to put it in the least diplomatic way possible. Don't quit your night job Mr. Diplomat. Xoxo

Those kisses and hugs were not snarky, btw. I genuinely like this person.

Last edited by NLVgal; 10-30-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 04:01 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
So, do you feel sympathy for uber drivers trying to make a living or are you against both taxis and ubers coexisting? From what you posted above, there seems to be a need for a taxi alternative. Am I wrong?

By the way, some part time ubers may be satisfied with the once a month airport pick-up/drop-off. It really doesn't make sense for me to land at a busy airport, walk to a taxi stand with dozens of empty taxis, ask 50 of them for a ride off the strip and get rejected.
Excellent point. Besides I think set pricing schedules are such an anachronism. In many foreign countries meters arent used. Now I understand there are protections for customers to a degree for this, but a set price schedule is economically inefficient. Lets say its Tuesday night and few riders need a cab. But I happen to be out and need to walk half a mile. Id pay a dollar or two for this, but not the $5 or more I would pay a Vegas cab when tip is included, not to mention the scorn I might hear for taking him on a short ride. With companies like Uber allowed I could quickly find someone willing to do it, or find out no one is interested. In a non metered situation it would be the same, ask a passing cab and chances are if its slow he would do it.

I am not going to say Uber itself is a great solution or that I care if they make it or not. Like most I want alternatives even though my use of cabs in Vegas is so minimal. The way taxi companies and their compliant regulators operate is the problem, not the cab drivers or the business of taking people for a ride. The market can solve most of the inefficiency problems, but it will financially hurt the existing interests. The taxi system and so many other systems are so far from the spirit of capitalism and its ridiculous to hear the nonsense excuses put out to defend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas