Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,561,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Yes because it's the cabbies fault people are getting DUIs here.
Wow.
Not the cabbie's fault but fault of the leaders of this county who have not developed a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,630,183 times
At least we are finally getting around to the fact that Uber drivers will make awful money here... Although it took nearly 12 hours of convincing

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,561,603 times
I haven't been convinced of that, but as cold blooded as it sounds my ultimate desire is for cheaper ride service.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,956,714 times
Quote:
At least we are finally getting around to the fact that Uber drivers will make awful money here... Although it took nearly 12 hours of convincing
I'm nowhere near convinced of this. In fact, I believe cabbies probably make LESS than Uber drivers and I've clearly outlined why.

Last edited by logline; 10-30-2014 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,630,183 times
I wish I could be an expert on things I've never done before.
That would look awesome on a resume.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times
Quote:
I did things like this for a living part of my life. Now I don't have the tools to do a real analysis but I can tell you what it is that needs to be done.

I can pretty much guarantee you that free Uber would shut the strip down.

I can also tell you I have lived in at least five cities where taxi service worked fine in low density suburbs. So something is diffferent, or wrong, in Las Vegas.

And the taxi industry is responsible for the fact it is hard to get a local cheap ride to avoid driving drunk.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:17 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,492,761 times
Quote:
Question vegas cabbie what does a long haul cabbie get out of long hauling does he get to pocket the extra money or get paid more for bringing in more money than expected. I just wonder what is in it for the cabbie who long hauls to take the risk.
Basically if you're Ethiopian or some other anti-social driver you must bump up the meter for your pay rather than get tipped. So they longhaul....and there isn't a whole lot of risk because the whole system only acts like it wants it stopped so it gets a wink and a nod.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:07 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,811,084 times
1) "Safety". You incorrectly think Uber is a transportation company that employs drivers and therefore needs to provide OSHA safety measures like an employer would at a bus company or airline. You're looking at their entire business model completely wrong. Consider Uber as the Ebay of car rides. It merely connects drivers with riders and takes a cut of the transaction. Drivers are independent contractors. That's it. If they do not put cameras in their own car, it's their own choice. In fact, Uber actually provides more safety for its drivers (and riders) than the Ebay model because Ebay doesn't actually go out and look at your "product" to make sure it meets certain safety/quality standards. Ebay doesn't do background checks on its sellers. If Uber drivers do not take basic safety measures for themselves, it's their own fault for being stupid in a competitive economy.

The Taxi industry fall under the General Industry Standards for OSHA. Their are requirements to meet to be protected by this and I believe UBER does not qualify because each person is a private contractor. OSHA only protects the health and welfare of the worker. This is how NYS got to ban smoking in public places such as Bars and restaurants by saying it was protecting the employees not you the customer. Their are a big difference between a OSHA standard or a OSHA recommendation. NIOSH also has recommendation to follow. The DOT covers the vehicle standards. So in the sake of a long post and more arguments at the present time Safety conditions first for the drivers do heavily tilt in favor of the Taxi Companies and any law suits which could result from it's workers. UBER vehicles do not require the safety measures that a regulated taxi co does. I would not depend on OSHA to be the savior here.

As a customer How do I know the driver of a Uber vehicle is qualified or not a risk to me. How do I know if a bunch of dirt bags get one car to meet Uber standards and then have 10 other ones which are junk and they send them out instead with a bunch of dirt bags driving them to make quick money and do not care if they are in business next week who do I get to protect me the customer when I get hurt or sick or robbed by them. All I see is a bunch of lawsuits being filed and the lawyers getting rich off of this one.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
Yes because it's the cabbies fault people are getting DUIs here.
Wow.
I was waiting for you to say this.

During Sheriff Gilispie's campaigning, he did a "drinking and driving" TV ad for curbing local DUIs. During the ad he recommended being responsible Las Vegan and taking a local taxi or calling on a responsible friend when out drinking.

Hop in a taxi on the strip and tell the driver "Summerlin please".....lol...you will get kicked out.

Seriously though, you have family here driving on the roads, I have family here driving on the roads. We both know there is a problem. It is not the taxis fault, but by them not catering to locals outside of the tourist area, the alternative is taken away. If anything, make it a profitable flat rate to service the burbs. You would be surprised at the people that would still pay.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
What do you think about Cyborg and EA's thread about being taxi drivers in LV? Your posts and their posts seem to be the ying/yang of each other. What are you doing right or what were they doing wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas