Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Olecapt, quit whacking innocent bugs. How'd you like it if every bug that saw you, whacked you? You wouldn't like it.
Just because a critter comes into your house, it doesn't mean you have to kill it. And just because you see it in one spot doesn't mean it will come back and kill you and drag you off to it's nest.
They don't lie in wait for people, they usually move along to wherever it is they were going. Leave them alone and they leave you alone.
Pink - They occassionally kill people. No harm intended. They often make people suffer a lot. No harm intended. I would not like to see a kid spend a couple of days of agony in a hospital because they sat down on the wrong sheet.

Now one could, with a bit of skill, collect them all and take them to the LV wash or such. But I suspect that releasing noxious creatures in Clark County is against the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Bark scorpions are small maybe an inch to an inch and a half. The little ones have a good sized wallop.

I think it quite rare to see any others except out in the desert.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,478,152 times
May I ask what area of town you live in? If you live near Flamingo & Pecos-Mcleod watch out, that area has a real bad problem. 2nd for is not that uncommon, depending on what type of foliage you have. But take Olecapt advise. Leave the lights off in you apartment for at least 30 min., then take a black light and go around your apartment. The longer you leave your lights off, the better you will be able to see the scorpion. Most apartment complexes have a pest control company. So make sure to call your office, and have them put you on their pest control list for the next time they are out there. Most complexes get weekly service. Make sure to tell them you found a scorpion, and where you found it, and describe the scorpion to the tech that comes out there. It helps to get all the information when you go out, that way you know the best way to treat the situation.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:44 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But I suspect that releasing noxious creatures in Clark County is against the law.
There are plenty of noxious creatures out roaming around and being released to the public: gang members. But nobody does much about those vermin.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
There are plenty of noxious creatures out roaming around and being released to the public: gang members. But nobody does much about those vermin.
couldnt we leave the scorpions alone and whack the gang members?????

oh ...wait.....that's the way we USED to do it.......

Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Hey, at least it wasn't one of those mosquitos I heard about there that transmit the West Nile Virus! I guess a scorpion bite is probably 1000x more common than a misquito bite in LV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw555...5 View Post
What did I do to attract this thing into my house?
Are you a Sagittarian? They attract Scorpios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Finally, was your scorpion hairy?
Garth...no need to get personal in this situation! Maybe she prefers them hairy!

mw....good luck!

Last edited by jfkIII; 12-29-2007 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 08:57 PM

47 posts, read 347,029 times
Well... Yesterday, I found a scorpion hiding underneath a towel in my bathroom.. I am not sure if I actually took that towel from my floor near my closet and put in the bathroom to be put in front of my shower, before or after I saw the scorpion in front of my closet. However, they are of the same size, very small, tan, curled up almost, very small. Didn't get a good look, because I was a little creeped and surprised to see it. But I am starting to relax.. I am sure I probably brought this thing in, when I took a trip to AZ, (northern AZ, but still desert) over the holidays. My backage was an open duffel bag, it was placed among other peoples' baggage, so I think something may have crawlin into my bag. The intial scorpion found by the closet was near where I had unpacked my stuff. I think I am pretty safe... If not, I will find out. Thank you everyone for the advice, I feel much better.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 AM

403 posts, read 1,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
...They occassionally kill people. No harm intended...
LOL!!!!

OleCapt - this is ABSOLUTELY my new all-time favorite quote from you!!! Truly another classic Yogi-ism!

And, to everyone who has posted here - this is also now my all-time favorite thread!

Cheers to all, and Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:24 PM

11 posts, read 33,258 times
Default Whew

This thread made my new year' eve laugh-out-loud! I mean LOUD . I thought I had my share of bugs in NY, and I took pics of them too in case trouble comes along (I mean my landlord-God Bless his kindness!). During summer months, bugs just came crawling off the walls, ceilings, floors, every corner of my apartment. Those times I had my 9y/o daughter and my (then) 4mth old son. In the middle of the night.. say midnight, or even @ 2am! I'm killing bugs or whatever they are! I had goosebumps whacking them with boy.. this is embarassing.. with swifter! I'm short so even with a chair or anything that will bring me higher I'm still short. More to this, because of hot temps and no a/c at home, I have to open windows. 4am or 5am I'm awake extinguishing the bees (more than a dozen of them, I got pics too ). While doing all these, who knows who could hear my heart thumping so loud it could explode!

I thought I share this experience HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM

309 posts, read 901,577 times
Thumbs up Scorpions

Hey, call your apartment manager to come in and exterminate or whatever they do for scorpions. They know what to do. Look in your shoes and slippers and under your sheets and pillows before you get in bed. Also, check your closets and your laundry baskets. Don't pile your clothes on the floor and put them on before you check them. Watch your bare feet for a while. Don't be obsessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas