Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 36,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Olecapt, quit whacking innocent bugs. How'd you like it if every bug that saw you, whacked you? You wouldn't like it.
Just because a critter comes into your house, it doesn't mean you have to kill it. And just because you see it in one spot doesn't mean it will come back and kill you and drag you off to it's nest.
They don't lie in wait for people, they usually move along to wherever it is they were going. Leave them alone and they leave you alone.

I can see your point with most insects/animals, but...these aren't just ordinary bugs that live under the fridge and sneak out for a snack, or little spiders that will leave red bumps on your arm in the middle of the night...these are aggressive creatures that carry a potent neurotoxin, are great climbers, roam at night, are resistant to pesticide, are hard to see, and will take over a house if left unchecked. Having been stung and watching my kids get stung, yeah, I not only kill every one I see (with prejudice), I actively seek them out to kill them. No redeeming qualities in those little pinchy bastards. Except they look cool if you impale a dozen or so on a jack-o-lantarn with toothpicks. That's kind of cool. But that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,416,609 times
I read these post, my hair is standing on ends, never did hear what part of Nevada she lived in. But yuk even my toes started freakin out.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM

450 posts, read 1,516,105 times
Default Re:

Yeah, for future reference, if you kill them, do they squirt out icky inside juice? I mean seriously, I would think scooping them up and tossing them outside would be the cleaner thing to do. I have never seen a scorpion, except in pictures, same for cockroaches. Wouldn't they splatter the wall in the apartment causing some damage on the wall or carpet?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
not if you use a shotgun

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,107,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaya View Post

I can see your point with most insects/animals, but...these aren't just ordinary bugs that live under the fridge and sneak out for a snack, or little spiders that will leave red bumps on your arm in the middle of the night...these are aggressive creatures that carry a potent neurotoxin.

Abhaya,

Your description is exactly what it is: animals who hide and sneak out for a snack. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never witnessed a scorpion be so aggressive that you paint them to be. I've been housing Zona Bark Scorpions for a while now and in fact, I'd say they're the very opposite of your description. They're not aggressive at all and I think you'd find they are far more scared of you than you are of them. Unless you came across a Deathstalker from Israel, I think you're OK to relax and stop killing off every living "scary-looking" bug you find -- maybe learn about them atleast.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,901 times
Quote:
Olecapt, quit whacking innocent bugs. How'd you like it if every bug that saw you, whacked you? You wouldn't like it.
Just because a critter comes into your house, it doesn't mean you have to kill it. And just because you see it in one spot doesn't mean it will come back and kill you and drag you off to it's nest.
They don't lie in wait for people, they usually move along to wherever it is they were going. Leave them alone and they leave you alone.
Pleeeease....I smack these mothers dead....everysingle one of them....if those evil things stung my son and something happened to him because I didn't smack em and just let em be about their business, I'd be a total IDIOT, if a dog attacked my son I'd kill em with my bare hands, if someone broke into my house I'd shoot em, if a perv did anything to my son I'd cut it OFF....so sorry but these things are evil and venomous and could easily kill someone, so a note to anyone who sees one just SMACK EM, SMACK ALL OF EM DEAD, THE LESS THE BETTER....I've seen 8 inside my house in the last couple of months (4 in the last 4 days) SWAT can't get em so Bulwark is coming out tomorrow, they Guarentee to kill them so I don't have to anymore....

Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,478,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshorty08 View Post
Pleeeease....I smack these mothers dead....everysingle one of them....if those evil things stung my son and something happened to him because I didn't smack em and just let em be about their business, I'd be a total IDIOT, if a dog attacked my son I'd kill em with my bare hands, if someone broke into my house I'd shoot em, if a perv did anything to my son I'd cut it OFF....so sorry but these things are evil and venomous and could easily kill someone, so a note to anyone who sees one just SMACK EM, SMACK ALL OF EM DEAD, THE LESS THE BETTER....I've seen 8 inside my house in the last couple of months (4 in the last 4 days) SWAT can't get em so Bulwark is coming out tomorrow, they Guarentee to kill them so I don't have to anymore....

Something easy to do, would be to get Diatomaceous Earth and put it around the home. The dust will cut up the scorpions body. If the technician comes out and only sprays product, it will not take care of your problem, especially since you have seen that much. The DE you can by at Home Depot of Lowes and do it your self. Another suggestion is to get a Black Light and do an inspection on your home at night. The scorpions will glow a bright green, it will give you an idea of where they are concentrating around your home and possibley see where they are coming from.

Hope you did not sign a contract.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM

62 posts, read 194,253 times
Quote:
Lol, I think we all enjoy your enthusiasm and care for creatures, but this is a scorpion! I agree, if it can easily be scooped up and tossed outside, by all means....but if you fear it, more than likely you believe it can cause you harm...meaning do whatever it takes.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:41 PM

150 posts, read 636,913 times
We had them in the NW area. Dang things can get through a crack. I have severe allergies to insect stings and so we WHACK them big time. Up there you can go out at night and in some neighborhoods I guarantee seeing at least 1 or 2 crawling up the outside house or perimeter wall. If they are outside I leave them alone.

They eat bugs so keep pests down. Hard to kill so pesticides do not work.

My dog sniffed one in the house and boy you should have seen her head and the scorp fly into the air. We did not know if she was stung so off we went to the vet who gave her a bunch of shots.

I have seen a total of 7 inside houses and gee bout 20 or 40 outside houses. Wait till you see a tarantula hawk! They like eucalyptus trees that some people have. Those things they say wont kill you with their sting, but you would wish it had!

Old 04-25-2009, 01:00 PM

430 posts, read 1,313,627 times
Pest control helps kill the food source for scorpians. So if you get rid of the other pests around your house scorpians have less incentive to be near your property for hunting.

I always suggest that any box that you receive that you open it outside or in your garage. That way any travelers end up outside your main home.

Check your shoes before you put them on especially if you keep your shoes in the garage or by a door.

I live in AZ. I never saw anything in our homes (8 years) until we moved into a newly built subdivision. The new construction was distrubing all the natives. Once I went to put a comforter on my daughters bed, it had been folded in the linen closet all summer, a dead scorpian fell out. Creepy, but at least he was dead. We found a live one in our garage under a tarp. So be careful if you are in a newer complex or area. We have a resident tarantula we see once in awhile, it leaves us alone, we leave it alone. We have seen coyote run through the wash behind our home. Back East they have deer, here we have coyote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas