Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM

159 posts, read 479,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hey Julia - A month or so before you commit to Pecole drop me a note and let me see if I can't point you at a couple of opportunities you might like. There are a couple of well establish quiet, walk neighborhoods...you just have to know where they are. Take a drive around Buffalo and Lake Mead sometime. There are condos on the southwest corner that are buried in there and are often available for rent. There is also a nice development at the northwest corner across from Bucca.

These condos are generally more pleasant than the best of the apartments. May be too expensive but worth the check.
OK, Captain--I will (take a ride to Buffalo & Lake Mead and contact you). THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,469,568 times
You're moving because of you uneducated neighbors? Did I miss something? Now you want to move into an apartment with your brother and you're 52? I would think there has to be other reasons that you are moving, but I could be wrong. Curious as to why you think that will make things better. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
You're moving because of you uneducated neighbors? Did I miss something? Now you want to move into an apartment with your brother and you're 52? I would think there has to be other reasons that you are moving, but I could be wrong. Curious as to why you think that will make things better. Thanks.

Sorry, I presumed that most people have read my other posts and are familiar with my background. To clarify: About my brother, he has Down syndrome, and I'm his guardian and caretaker.

We just moved to LV in June, and I made a mistake in coming to the part of town we currently live in. We'll be moving because my neighbors are noisy (I work at home), rude, grafitti and litter the area, keep their property like pig stys, etc. In general, a person who's somewhat educated (whether formally or informally) behaves with more consideration. At least that's been my experience.

Given that I bear all costs myself, since my brother isn't capable of working, it's costing me quite a bit to rent and operate the house I live in now, and I can't see why I should continue to overspend when I'm not fond of the neighborhood.

I've done a little research and find that I'd like to live in Summerlin/Peccole Ranch area. The rental costs for a freestanding house are even higher there. It will be cheaper to rent a quality two-bedroom apartment, and I won't have to be burdened with the type of utility costs and responsibilities I have here. I believe I'll have a better chance at having some good neighbors in the particular complex I have in mind. And it's been confirmed elsewhere on this board that the complex is quiet. There are other considerations as well.

Okay?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:13 PM

52 posts, read 228,622 times
Thanks to all who responded....and Julia...I didn't grow up here I grew up in Queens....I am 50 so we probably would have gone to school together....I also work as a letter carrier for the Carlstadt Post office and was wondering what your Uncles name is because I've been employed for over 24 yrs. with USPS. Shoveled snow this morning...the whole time daydreaming about coming to Vegas in January....can't wait to move the u-haul out of our Chestnut st. house and head West!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 AM

My uncle's name is Leo Mazza. He's in his nineties now and has been retired for a while. But he did serve as postmaster for forty years. He still lives in Garfield.

On a moving-related note, I shipped my stuff here via upack.com. It was half the cost of a regular mover and cheaper than a U-haul. I imagine you'll be taking a southerly route cross-country. Hope you have sunny, dry weather all the way!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 AM

72 posts, read 279,221 times
I'm going to throw in my couple of cents here and tell you that I live in the SW (Blue Diamond Road area) and I LOVE IT! We chose the area because it's close to where my husband works and the area seemed nice. Sure there is tons of construction where new shopping centers and homes are being built, but traffic is not a problem at ALL in you work in this general area.

I also kind of appreciate that there aren't too many things around me, so it forces me out of my batcave to go exploring other parts of town. Summerlin looks beautiful, but it was a little pricey for us at the time because we are currently living on one income, although I'm starting to look for a job.

The schools are good, the neighbors are good, I feel safe.

Everyone told me I would hate here it, but I couldn't be happier.

On a side note, we had to travel up to North Vegas (around Craig Road) on Friday, and I started to freak out because the roads got narrower and the traffic increased. Everything up there seemed so different than south of town. Not really my cup of tea and I hope I don't have to go back up there anytime soon! LOL

Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM

403 posts, read 1,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkbean View Post
...I live in the SW (Blue Diamond Road area) and I LOVE IT! ... Summerlin looks beautiful, but it was a little pricey for us ... North Vegas (around Craig Road) on Friday, and I started to freak out ...
I think Sinkbean's post pretty much hits it...

Summerlin is very, very pretty, with good schools and relatively low levels of crime...but you get a small house for $300,000.

Blue Diamond is seen as attractive by many, but not by all...and you get a mid-sized home for $300,000.

And North Las Vegas is seen as attractive by fewer valley residents...but you can get an outrageous home for $300,000.

Of course, these are generalizations about all three locations and exceptions can be found in each.

Miami Mike...your daughter knows you better than anyone here possibly can, so I've got to assume that her advice should be your starting point as you begin your search.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
I think Sinkbean's post pretty much hits it...

Summerlin is very, very pretty, with good schools and relatively low levels of crime...but you get a small house for $300,000.

Blue Diamond is seen as attractive by many, but not by all...and you get a mid-sized home for $300,000.

And North Las Vegas is seen as attractive by fewer valley residents...but you can get an outrageous home for $300,000.

Of course, these are generalizations about all three locations and exceptions can be found in each.

Miami Mike...your daughter knows you better than anyone here possibly can, so I've got to assume that her advice should be your starting point as you begin your search.
General agreement except the schools. Summerlin is much better off on the school front. The SW is having some significant turmoil. Nothing that time won't cure...but for the near future a problem. The north has less of a school problem than the SW as well.

Note also that the north and NW run together. Much of the larger less expensive housing is in the City of Las Vegas. And the schools are generally pretty good.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM

72 posts, read 279,221 times
I'm not really sure what Ole Capt is talking about school wise. My son goes to Steele Elementary (it's only 2 years old) and he adores it. At first his class was a little crowded, I think he had about 26 kids in it, but they opened up a new class and now he only has 19 in his class, which is good, I think.

All of the teachers and staff at the school are excellent. The students seem generally happy and my kid is learning a lot.

I actually respect Ole Capt's opinion on many things and read his posts regularly, but from my experience, school hasn't been a problem at all over here in the SW. Maybe I am just lucky.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkbean View Post
I'm not really sure what Ole Capt is talking about school wise. My son goes to Steele Elementary (it's only 2 years old) and he adores it. At first his class was a little crowded, I think he had about 26 kids in it, but they opened up a new class and now he only has 19 in his class, which is good, I think.

All of the teachers and staff at the school are excellent. The students seem generally happy and my kid is learning a lot.

I actually respect Ole Capt's opinion on many things and read his posts regularly, but from my experience, school hasn't been a problem at all over here in the SW. Maybe I am just lucky.
Well you are lucky as are some. First off virtually all the schools in the SW are on 12 months schedules driven by overcrowding. I do not believe there are any 12 month schools in Summerlin. I think there is even a thread here about how miserable it got last year at one school where they could not get their act together. As I have said before it will be fine in a few years...but even the lovely school you have can go away in a year or so because a couple of builders pop the wrong tract in the wrong place. All of a sudden you got portables all over the place and an administration cracking under the strain.

If your area is fully built out you are set...if it is lightly built out...hold on.

This is not a new thing in Vegas. Kind of customary. Summerlin and a few other places beat it by using SID/LIDs to build infrastructure first. But the other way is the norm in the Valley. Build the roofs and the infrastructure has to follow...but it takes a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas