Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,287,425 times

Advertisements

This thread cracks me up! I'll add that whenever we go to Las Vegas we always hit the discount entertainment and dinners. We even had the $2 - $5 steak deals and it was Mmm Mmm good.

OP you can live off of 25K easily. You also might want to look for a roommate situation with someone in college there if you're nervous about moving alone and affording the expenses at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
This thread cracks me up! I'll add that whenever we go to Las Vegas we always hit the discount entertainment and dinners. We even had the $2 - $5 steak deals and it was Mmm Mmm good.

OP you can live off of 25K easily. You also might want to look for a roommate situation with someone in college there if you're nervous about moving alone and affording the expenses at first.
It is quite funny. 25k is over 2k per month. Probably more like 1800 take home. My bills for 2 people are around 1200 per month. You won't be left scrounging ramin soup and you will still be able to go out and enjoy yourself.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
IIRC, you can get an RN with an Associates Degree. If you want to work in the field, you should probably get that. You could come out, take the job offered, than go to CCSN, get the degree and take the licensing exam to get the RN. You should then probably finish the Bachelor's. But you can do this is stages, and step up in salary more quickly with each stage.

In point of fact, if you're working for a college, you may be able to get the education for free and go right to the bachelor's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish94 View Post
I would be coming out to work as a health educator for the University of Nevada. I have applied in other states such as Massachusetts where I was living but because there are so few jobs and so many overeducated applicants most health education jobs now require an RD or RN license.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,731,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It is quite funny. 25k is over 2k per month. Probably more like 1800 take home. My bills for 2 people are around 1200 per month. You won't be left scrounging ramin soup and you will still be able to go out and enjoy yourself.
More like $1640 take home for single adult claiming 0 dependents. That also does not allow for health insurance and 401K contributions.

Decent single bedroom apartment $650 to $800
Power $40 to $200 depending on the season and kilowatt usage.
Internet and local Phone $45 Century Link
TV free just provide the antenna.
Cell Service $15 Straight Talk
Transportation $65 for a buss pass or pay for gas and insurance on a paid vehicle $150+

The we have life's little payments to feel human.
insurance and prescription copays $10+
gym membership $20+
Petfood and supplies $20+
Laundry and dry cleaning $10+
Video rentals $10+
Clothing gifts ect ect $20

Then after a bimonthly trip to food for less. There not much left of that $1640.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 AM

67 posts, read 186,390 times
I have thought about a RN degree but the field of nursing isn't for me (Wish it was or I wouldn't be constantly agonizing over taking low paying or part time jobs across the country). Interesting though, I didn't realize you could get an RN with an Associates. I wonder if it is worth going into debt just to have the license - I don't know if it would open up other opportunities in health education.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 AM

249 posts, read 403,358 times
You could always get two part time jobs if you can't find one good full time job.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,532,290 times
An RN can cover a lot of ground. I have a sister who's a certified midwife. She entered through the RN route, but would turn her nose up if anyone called her a nurse.

In the health care field, if you're not some sort of licensed professional, MD, RN, LPN, PA, etc., you're really at the bottom of the food chain (and if your not an MD, you're at best in the middle of the food chain.)

Getting back to the original subject, LV is neither particularly good or bad for a medical career. Some of the bigger cities will be better. As I said before, I think you need to work out your career decisions before you decide where you want to locate.

Quote:
I have thought about a RN degree but the field of nursing isn't for me (Wish it was or I wouldn't be constantly agonizing over taking low paying or part time jobs across the country). Interesting though, I didn't realize you could get an RN with an Associates. I wonder if it is worth going into debt just to have the license - I don't know if it would open up other opportunities in health education.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,948,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
More like $1640 take home for single adult claiming 0 dependents. That also does not allow for health insurance and 401K contributions. Depending on how they are paid - Monthly, Weekly, Biweekly the amount of tax will vary.. All the way from $1589 to $1833 after tax...

Decent single bedroom apartment $650 to $800 Let's split the diff and say $725
Power $40 to $200 depending on the season and kilowatt usage. A single person using $200 a month is high considerign they won't be home part of the time due to work or other things... Even in the hottest months... Let's say average of $75
Internet and local Phone $45 Century Link
TV free just provide the antenna.
Cell Service $15 Straight Talk
Transportation $65 for a bus pass or pay for gas and insurance on a paid vehicle $150+

The we have life's little payments to feel human.
insurance and prescription copays $10+
gym membership $20+ - Who says this is neccessary
Petfood and supplies $20+ What if no pets
Laundry and dry cleaning $10+
Video rentals $10+ Maybe maybe not
Clothing gifts ect ect $20 Probably more like $40

Then after a bimonthly trip to food for less. There not much left of that $1640.
Ok lets see what we have... On the high side of tax taken out we have $1589 minus the outgo of $995 not counting video rental pets or gym but counting a bus pass = $594 left over....

Now on the low side of tax taken out we have $1833 minus the outgo of $995 not counting video rental pets or gym but counting a bus pass =$838 left over...

This is doable...

Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,152,591 times
Quote:
I know tons of RN's who never do clinical care. They do case management, utilization review, and such. There are also "nurse educators" and various managerial positions that require an RN license for no other reason than they just require it.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:21 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,976,376 times
Watch for openings at the VA and then move up in the system I talked to a lady who started in supply and moved up to patient intake. If that's what they call it. No prior experience. Decent pay and benefits package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas