Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,806,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
it's amazing how many people jump the bandwagon for summerlin and henderson like they are the greatest place in the city and are willing to pay the premium price for the same house you can get somewhere else at half the cost. Btw I live in hollywood and it's nice and quiet. Yes we do have getto parts but the same can be applied for any other location. Crimes can happen anywhere! Read the news.
In terms of crime, Henderson IS the greatest place in the city. It has less crime than Las Vegas. In fact, as has been stated ad nauseum, it has the 2nd lowest crime rate of any city over 100,000 population in the country. It doesn't matter at what map you look. That is simply objective. There are many SUBJECTIVE reasons why a person would want to live somewhere other than Henderson, but it won't be due to the crime rate.

And in terms of "ghetto parts", some people who have the means don't want to live in a neighborhood that has these. So they move to any of the neighborhoods that DON'T have ghetto parts. Yes, crimes happen everywhere. But if crime is the major factor in one's decision on where to live, they will choose parts of Henderson or Las Vegas like Summerlin, Green Valley, Anthem, etc. The same cannot be applied to ANY other location, only the locations that have a higher crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,165,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
In terms of crime, Henderson IS the greatest place in the city. It has less crime than Las Vegas. In fact, as has been stated ad nauseum, it has the 2nd lowest crime rate of any city over 100,000 population in the country. It doesn't matter at what map you look. That is simply objective. There are many SUBJECTIVE reasons why a person would want to live somewhere other than Henderson, but it won't be due to the crime rate.

And in terms of "ghetto parts", some people who have the means don't want to live in a neighborhood that has these. So they move to any of the neighborhoods that DON'T have ghetto parts. Yes, crimes happen everywhere. But if crime is the major factor in one's decision on where to live, they will choose parts of Henderson or Las Vegas like Summerlin, Green Valley, Anthem, etc. The same cannot be applied to ANY other location, only the locations that have a higher crime rate.

There are lots of good neighborhoods in LV that aren't in Henderson, Summerlin, etc. However, if you don't know what you are doing, you could end up (like your friend) in a great house, on a great street in a terrible area. For newbies, I think it's best to stick with the known. That's why I don't get irritated when people recommend Summerlin or GV.

I DO get irritated when NLV gets consistently bashed, but there are some bad areas. ( Just like in regular LV)

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,035,136 times
Quote:
it has the 2nd lowest crime rate of any city over 100,000 population in the country.

The problem is that most of that crime is perpetrated by the Henderson Police Force. (Don't suffer any diabetic episodes in Henderson. You might get beaten.)

The Henderson Police force is out of control. Way too much force. Not enough "protect and serve." There are several incidents every year which make me scratch my head and think, WTF?

When you get down to it, I recommend grabbing a red sharpie and circling the entirety of the Las Vegas valley -- don't move here. I simply do not see what people see in this place. But if you have to live here, there are more areas than just Summerlin and Green Valley. I don't understand the appeal of Summerlin at all. I find the place singularly annoying. But Green Valley is more-or-less OK. But I'd take the Scotch 80s over either area. And since we don't have children, there's nothing horribly wrong with Sunrise, east of Hollywood. (The schools in Sunrise suck. There's no glossing over this.) But my neck of the desert is quiet and boring. Which from a crime standpoint is really all anyone wants.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The problem is that most of that crime is perpetrated by the Henderson Police Force. (Don't suffer any diabetic episodes in Henderson. You might get beaten.)

The Henderson Police force is out of control. Way too much force. Not enough "protect and serve." There are several incidents every year which make me scratch my head and think, WTF?

When you get down to it, I recommend grabbing a red sharpie and circling the entirety of the Las Vegas valley -- don't move here. I simply do not see what people see in this place. But if you have to live here, there are more areas than just Summerlin and Green Valley. I don't understand the appeal of Summerlin at all. I find the place singularly annoying. But Green Valley is more-or-less OK. But I'd take the Scotch 80s over either area. And since we don't have children, there's nothing horribly wrong with Sunrise, east of Hollywood. (The schools in Sunrise suck. There's no glossing over this.) But my neck of the desert is quiet and boring. Which from a crime standpoint is really all anyone wants.
Agreed. Low crime was not the #1 priority for us when selecting a neighborhood. It was the appearance of the house and the location to things we found it important to be near. We found GV to work for us. It won't work for others. I honestly haven't been to Summerlin yet. I haven't had a reason to go, but I'm sure it's nice. I do like the Sunrise area. I have only driven through, but it didn't seem bad at all. It was what I had to drive through to get there that gave me pause.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There are lots of good neighborhoods in LV that aren't in Henderson, Summerlin, etc. However, if you don't know what you are doing, you could end up (like your friend) in a great house, on a great street in a terrible area. For newbies, I think it's best to stick with the known. That's why I don't get irritated when people recommend Summerlin or GV.

I DO get irritated when NLV gets consistently bashed, but there are some bad areas. ( Just like in regular LV)
Yeah, that would annoy me as well. Like someone said before upthread, you need to look at neighborhoods, not cities. Although Henderson is way up there on the lists for lack of crime, I certainly wouldn't want to live in or around the old downtown..

Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,035,136 times
Quote:
Agreed. Low crime was not the #1 priority for us when selecting a neighborhood. It was the appearance of the house and the location to things we found it important to be near. We found GV to work for us. It won't work for others. I honestly haven't been to Summerlin yet. I haven't had a reason to go, but I'm sure it's nice. I do like the Sunrise area. I have only driven through, but it didn't seem bad at all. It was what I had to drive through to get there that gave me pause.

You wouldn't believe how many people have visited us and said, "I had no idea this was up here." Drive east on Vegas Valley Blvd. until you reach the end. You'll know it when you get there. Because it looks like this (well, when Mt. Charleston is on fire it looks like this):

Summerlin, to me at least, is an endless parade of Olive Gardens, Jamba Juice and Pier 1 -- separated by ridiculously out-of-place roundabouts. Every time I go there, I swear, "This is the LAST time." And I've been able to hold good to my promise for three years now. (There is nothing in Summerlin that interests me in the slightest. It's just an endless parade of chain stores.)

EDIT -- As for "I don't want to live downtown," go take a drive through the Scotch 80s. And then tell me you wouldn't mind having a house there. It's really very nice. An island of "nice" in a sea of "Oh, dear."

Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 AM

168 posts, read 213,025 times
Born and raised in Sunrise neighborhoods.

Pretty decent area to live. Was much better 10 years ago.

Unless you want Olive Garden, Applebees or Timbers you gotta drive a good distance to go somewhere decent to sit down and eat.
oh wait...there are the 5 star IHops and Dennys on Nellis.

The Bonanza shopping center is a joke unless you need welfare services.

KMart and Walmart have gone downhill from an already down hill.
Target used to be decent and even that has gone to crap.

DO NOT go to the Smiths on a 1st or 15th. Or you can and have a fun time with free entertainment.

Chuck e cheese looks like a drug dealing convention on friday nights. Pretty sure they had a murder their the first week it opened.

Sunrise Mountain HS wasn't around when I was here, but I'm definitely not surprised it is ranked 70th out of 71 Nevada High Schools.

70% of the students are on free lunch program.

Total Students (2010 - 2011): 2369
African American: 366 (15.4%)
American Indian: 15 (0.6%)
Asian: 51 (2.2%)
Hispanic: 1587 (67%)
Pacific Islander: 3 (0.1%)
Two or more races: 6 (0.3%)

White: 341 (14.4%)

I'm expecting some white minority college scholarships to hit the area....(Lets see who reacts to this joke)

Sunrise Mountain area will always have a place in my heart. I loved it.
Can't wait to get out of here now. Not the greatest place from teens to twenties.
Send your kids to a better school or really look out to who they hang out with.
The place is a black hole. I still have good friends that can't seem to do anything with their lives. Good people too. Not even book stupid people. Just caught up in the crowd of nobodies. Poppin pills and smoking weed.
It is like a curse over here and nobody can get out. The ones who do become much happier and successful. Not saying it is impossible to grow up here and become successful and happy...it's just in the rare....and the future is looking even worse.

Great place 10 years ago. Even better 20 years ago.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM

555 posts, read 1,261,956 times
[quote=monstersizin;32111549]Born and raised in Sunrise neighborhoods.

Pretty decent area to live. Was much better 10 years ago.

Unless you want Olive Garden, Applebees or Timbers you gotta drive a good distance to go somewhere decent to sit down and eat.
oh wait...there are the 5 star IHops and Dennys on Nellis.

The Bonanza shopping center is a joke unless you need welfare services.

KMart and Walmart have gone downhill from an already down hill.
Target used to be decent and even that has gone to crap.

DO NOT go to the Smiths on a 1st or 15th. Or you can and have a fun time with free entertainment.

Chuck e cheese looks like a drug dealing convention on friday nights. Pretty sure they had a murder their the first week it opened.

Sunrise Mountain HS wasn't around when I was here, but I'm definitely not surprised it is ranked 70th out of 71 Nevada High Schools.

70% of the students are on free lunch program.

Total Students (2010 - 2011): 2369
African American: 366 (15.4%)
American Indian: 15 (0.6%)
Asian: 51 (2.2%)
Hispanic: 1587 (67%)
Pacific Islander: 3 (0.1%)
Two or more races: 6 (0.3%)

White: 341 (14.4%)

I'm expecting some white minority college scholarships to hit the area....(Lets see who reacts to this joke)

Sunrise Mountain area will always have a place in my heart. I loved it.
Can't wait to get out of here now. Not the greatest place from teens to twenties.
Send your kids to a better school or really look out to who they hang out with.
The place is a black hole. I still have good friends that can't seem to do anything with their lives. Good people too. Not even book stupid people. Just caught up in the crowd of nobodies. Poppin pills and smoking weed.
It is like a curse over here and nobody can get out. The ones who do become much happier and successful. Not saying it is impossible to grow up here and become successful and happy...it's just in the rare....and the future is looking even worse.

Great place 10 years ago. Even better 20 years ago.[/quote]

Wow! Spot on!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM
out out started this thread

18 posts, read 26,941 times
Thanks for the last two posts. I think people forgot that i'm the OP. This turned out to be a battle of neighborhoods vs a discussion about sunrise manor.

Again, does anyone feel like the apartments on spyglass hill dr is a "safe" spot? How is the area? Looking at the statistics i'd have to say that dang...i'd be a minority. I'm white and that's 14%. Jeez. Where are these statistics found? I'm not racist at all but not sure if i would be comfortable living in an area being that much of a minority.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 PM

168 posts, read 213,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out View Post
Thanks for the last two posts. I think people forgot that i'm the OP. This turned out to be a battle of neighborhoods vs a discussion about sunrise manor.

Again, does anyone feel like the apartments on spyglass hill dr is a "safe" spot? How is the area? Looking at the statistics i'd have to say that dang...i'd be a minority. I'm white and that's 14%. Jeez. Where are these statistics found? I'm not racist at all but not sure if i would be comfortable living in an area being that much of a minority.
Hey buddy, 89142 is right next to 89110, which the zip code I've lived in my whole 25 years of life.

Vegas Valley and Nellis? I don't really drive around here too much anymore. My life experiences have been mostly on the East side of Nellis and in between Charleston and Lake Mead. Other than that I am heading straight to the US95 via Eastern or Charleston to do anything other than sleep.

Are there any specific reasons for this area? If there aren't I would maybe try elsewhere. I haven't really read if you are out of state or what your situation is. (I saw your OP and then skipped to this point.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas