Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM

421 posts, read 898,543 times

Advertisements

I know that there have been threads here in the past about how difficult it is to find a reliable handyman and I wanted to know if this is still the case.

My daughter and son-in-law have come for a visit from Connecticut and have fallen in love with Las Vegas. Their daughter has reactive airway disease which the air quality in Connecticut (humidity especially) is aggravating. She is breathing easily here. He has had his own handyman business in Connecticut and has worked on everything from small family homes to the estate of the late author Dominic Dunn. They would really love to move here and of course have a place to stay while establishing themselves, but I was curious to see if this is still a feasible idea. Any comments? Thanks, Denise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,280 times
I believe there is still room for a trustworthy handyman to build a business in this town. My current handyman is so busy he hasn't had a day off in like 3 years

Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,514 times
I agree there is always work for a reliable, professional Handyman. I see several vehicles driving around advertising Handyman services but most are dirty, beat up and do not convey professionalism.

Like most service businesses once he gets a few clients under his belt word of mouth will be his best advertizing.

Until then some professional graphics on a well kept vehicle would be a good idea.

I would also consider creating a web site and put the URL on the vehicle as well. On the site list pictures of the work he's done along with the type of work, mention the Dominic Dunn estate - anything that helps convey his professionalism and quality work.

As I mentioned though work will come in like wildfire once he gets a few clients. Every tradesman I've worked with out here (Plumber, Electrician, Tile Installer, Gardner) has said they have more work than they can handle and it's all from word of mouth referrals. Everyone I've found has been word of mouth from another tradesman or friend/neighbor. There are a lot of "tradesmen" out here but there is a shortage of good, honest, reliable ones. Every one I've met cherry pick's their jobs because they can.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
Yes there is work for a handy man. If you're honest, reliable and charge a fair price, you will get work.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
One of my friends is running a home-grown, but licensed, handyman service and has more work than he can handle. He's done no advertising whatsoever, but the referrals from past clients keep pouring in. The demand is definitely out there.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
It all depends to on what he charges. If he quotes $60 an hour, he may not be so busy, but if he quotes $25-$30 an hour (with full day work minimum) or gives reasonable quotes, he will be very busy in no time. (provided he is reliable and does good work)

Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
As I mentioned though work will come in like wildfire once he gets a few clients. Every tradesman I've worked with out here (Plumber, Electrician, Tile Installer, Gardner) has said they have more work than they can handle and it's all from word of mouth referrals. Everyone I've found has been word of mouth from another tradesman or friend/neighbor. There are a lot of "tradesmen" out here but there is a shortage of good, honest, reliable ones. Every one I've met cherry pick's their jobs because they can.
Doesn't the above mean he/she doesn't have to do the below?

Quote:
I would also consider creating a web site and put the URL on the vehicle as well. On the site list pictures of the work he's done along with the type of work, mention the Dominic Dunn estate - anything that helps convey his professionalism and quality work.
I mean does anyone really see a number on a truck somewhere and call it? I think it's Angies List/ CL / referrals, etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:05 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,015 times
I think what happens is this - The handyman starts a business and quotes around $20/hr. He does quality work and soon finds that he can start raising his rates. Soon he is up to $40/hr and still has business. If he is any good at all - knows how to do drywall w/texturing, plumbing and electric and can actually implement a few ideas of his own and think logically he can be very successful here. I had a great handyman, but when his rate eventually went up to $80/hr or so I had to look elsewhere. BTW - I'm still looking.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:10 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Doesn't the above mean he/she doesn't have to do the below?

I mean does anyone really see a number on a truck somewhere and call it? I think it's Angies List/ CL / referrals, etc.
Absolutely right. But, you need to get those first few seed customers to grow.

It's cheap and easy to have some vinyl cut for the rear window of the car.

How can it hurt?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
It cant, but I think there are more useful ways given the same amount of money like a mailer, an ad, going to unkept houses soliciting business, etc.

Oh and if anyone needs someone let me know Ive got a guy that I use for cleaning/painting/light construction etc around my office probably once a week. I pay him between $15 - $25 an hour depending on what he's doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas