Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
A Grayhound bus that stops in San Bernandino will take anywhere from 5-6 hours. Buses don't go faster than 55 on the highway and will go slower when the incline is steep.

All flights I've taken to LA from LV are around 70 minutes. Not cost effective unless you're by yourself. It ends up being almost the same time as driving as you can reach orange county in about 4 hours if there's no traffic. LA itself is about the same travel time if there's no traffic(big if).
A very big IF, especially on weekends. The traffic on I-15 can be utterly brutal.

I would not suggest LA as a day trip (via ground transportation) from here, unless you have other reasons than tourism to do it. You just aren't going to have time to see anything and then get back here the same day.

We were supposed to get high speed rail between the two cities,(or at least the counties) but they've been jerking us around on that for decades. Under one of the proposals (Mag Lev) the trip was supposed to take less than two hours, but it never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,352,164 times
I'm sure that it's physically possible to do LA in a day trip, but it's not something I would want to try. Anything more than about three hours tops one way is more than a day trip, IMO. You would waste all your time on the road and not get to see or do very much.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,559,523 times
I guess the OP can take a bus that leaves at 1:00 AM from LV, reach LA by 6 AM and take another bus to get to Santa Monica beach(another 90 minute trip). He'd get to the beach by 7:30 AM and could stay there for the entire afternoon and go back to LV in the evening.

Whether he would be well rested enough to enjoy his day at the beach is an entirely different matter.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:39 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,030,032 times
Fly allegiant or spirit. You might catch a $19 special

Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 PM

245 posts, read 342,908 times
I seen this one

Las Vegas To Hollywood Tour | Freedom Tour | Paradise Found Tours

Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Legend View Post
Do you really want to get up so early to hop on a bus by 6AM and get back to your room at ten or eleven PM? If so, knock yourself out. That isn't my idea of a fun day, but then again, I am getting old and less adventurous. Also, I've been to the LA area numerous times, so it doesn't hold the appeal.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM

611 posts, read 952,585 times
We used the Vegas Players bus trip many years ago a few time but I can't remember the company's name. It used to be about $80 return to and from the Riviera. Similarly I found the following site. We would go to Disneyland first and then do this bus tour to Vegas but I see this company leaves from Los Angeles too.

Bus to Las Vegas from Hollywood and Anaheim, 2 days/1 night

Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Do you really want to get up so early to hop on a bus by 6AM and get back to your room at ten or eleven PM? If so, knock yourself out. That isn't my idea of a fun day, but then again, I am getting old and less adventurous. Also, I've been to the LA area numerous times, so it doesn't hold the appeal.

I hope you enjoy your trip.
Yes why not? I'm going for five days with the family so one day dedicated to L.A. wouldn't hurt

Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 AM

567 posts, read 1,121,774 times
Man, if I were you I'd spend two days in L.A. and 3 days in Vegas. Or maybe even flip that around. Most people burn out on Vegas by day 2 or 3, and if your kids are under 21 but too old for kid's stuff, they will get bored fast.

If you're going to see the Grand Canyon, it's worthwhile to stop in Flagstaff.

Oh, and rent a car.

Now, I'm not you, but if I were you here's how I'd do it: 2 crazy nights in Vegas where you do everything and get sick of it, an overnighter in L.A. (preferably right next to the beach) and an overnighter in Flagstaff where you see the Grand Canyon and Sedona. But that's me.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM

That's true. I'll consider that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas