Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 17,105 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm originally from Las Vegas. Went into the military and am planning on moving back home. My youngest son is planning on auditioning for Las Vegas Academy for the theatre major (he's been in quite a few plays in our local city theatre, takes dance and voice, plus he has excellent grades).

I've heard that buses for this program will go into the city to pick the kids up. I was just trying to confirm this and, if it is true, how it works.

Thanks and can't wait to be back home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 PM

85 posts, read 287,286 times
Default City - CAT City Bus

If school bussing is not available, your son can catch a CAT City Bus. You can buy him monthly cards for $30. I have seen kids going to and from school on the bus system quite a bit - anytime after school lets out, the majority of passengers are kids from school. Reason being - CCSD let up restrictions on schools as well. Last I heard, if you don't like one school, you can put your child in another, but if it's out of school bus range you have to arrange transportation. Enter CAT City Bus....transit system...

Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Clark County School District does provide busing for all students in magnet programs, so if he is lucky enough to get in then transportation will be provided.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
usually the magnet bussing is with 2 other magnet schools, in the morning it will pick him up at the closest school to your house (usually) or if there is not one within 2 miles they will open up a stop closer to your house, then at the end of the route, they stop at each magnet school that the bus is supposed to stop for...usually a bunch of buses will stop at your bus stop for all the different magnet schools...the afternoon is different and a mess...if your school is not a hub for the magnet buses, then they bus you from say LVA to Valley and then from Valley you switch buses and end up on the connecting bus...because of this, they usually are at that hub school for 20-30 minutes and if there is traffic or an accident all of the buses have to wait for that bus until it gets to the hub school...

because it took longer to take the school bus, i took the CAT bus instead, i was able to get a free pass for the school year by making a stink with our school board member about how the alternative school kids get a free pass and did something wrong to go there and me, making good grades and taking the time to go to a magnet school has to pay monthly for a pass (that's how this district thinks, to punish the smart and focused)...it depends on your proximity to your magnet school whether it is better to take the CAT then the school bus, but LVA is not close to many buses unless your son walks to the DTC or the Strip, or I guess Fremont or Stewart...

Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
usually the magnet bussing is with 2 other magnet schools, in the morning it will pick him up at the closest school to your house (usually) or if there is not one within 2 miles they will open up a stop closer to your house, then at the end of the route, they stop at each magnet school that the bus is supposed to stop for...usually a bunch of buses will stop at your bus stop for all the different magnet schools...the afternoon is different and a mess...if your school is not a hub for the magnet buses, then they bus you from say LVA to Valley and then from Valley you switch buses and end up on the connecting bus...because of this, they usually are at that hub school for 20-30 minutes and if there is traffic or an accident all of the buses have to wait for that bus until it gets to the hub school...
Thanks so much to everyone for responding!

I'm hoping to live near Summerville since this is where my work will be located. I'd rather he not take CAT if we can help it only b/c where we live now is very sheltered and small. He's going to be in enough shock as it is.

lvkewlkid: did you go to LVA? If so, can you give me an opinion? My son is going to audition for the theatre major. He's been in a few plays here in the larger city theatre and is currently in acting classes, improv (he auditioned and will be performing for this), dance, and voice. I've been told that he has a pretty good chance of making it since he has experience (he's never nervous with auditions), has good grades, and is a boy (only b/c less boys audition).

What do you think?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
no, i don't go to LVA, i went to Desert Pines which shared the same magnet bus as LVA...i now go to CSNHS

Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Okay, thanks for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: