Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

This has always been my last choice for a place to retire, due the unpredictability of lot rent increases and the changes of ownership of the parks. There was an article last year concerning a man, out in Henderson, whose rent increased to $750 a month, due to a change of ownership, and he didn't think he could afford to live there in that park anymore. He was calculating that the new owners could care less if you move, bail out, as any number of people just walk away and leave their trailers behind for the new owners to confiscate and rent out.

I'm wondering if more of this is happening in the Valley. When I take the bus home from work, down Pecos, I see an increasing number of empty lots in one mobile home park, and up the street they're advertising mobile homes for rent in a senior park. What happened? Lot rent got too high, and they bailed out, left their trailers behind?

My roommate was recently visiting an elderly lady in a senior mobile home park on near Lamb/Sahara, where she has seen her rent rise from $225 to $650 over the years, with only $1000 a month in social security. And given utilities, house repairs, she's ready to bail out!

I've seen on various MH sites there's mobile home co-ops in various cities, that's where the residents of a park virtually bought the mobile home park themselves and turned it into a co-op. There's one in Tucson I studied where the lot rent is only around $150 a month due to the fact that it's a co-op! And you have to be approved by the board of directors to live there.

So why aren't more of these park residents doing likewise, to avert these continual lot rent increases, in many cases, forcing them out of their homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
I don't know what's worse, lot rent increase or lot closures. Zappos has just straight up purchased and closed down many of the trailer rental lots near or on Fremont.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
There are some trailer parks where you buy the land under the trailer. My sister has been talking about this for decades as someplace in Vegas she'd retire too. Are there many of these left?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I've seen on various MH sites there's mobile home co-ops in various cities, that's where the residents of a park virtually bought the mobile home park themselves and turned it into a co-op.
Home Sweet Mobile Home: Co-Ops Deliver Ownership : NPR

ROC USA : Home

Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are some trailer parks where you buy the land under the trailer. My sister has been talking about this for decades as someplace in Vegas she'd retire too. Are there many of these left?
I believe there's 4 parks in Las Vegas were you own the land under your trailer. The 2 I know of are near DI/Cabana/Sam's Town, Desert Inn Estates I & II. Association fees I believe are $50-$100.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-17-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
During the boom, when land became so valuable, many trailer parks were shut down in anticipation of selling the land to developers. ( in many cases that never happened because of the crash and the park owners lost a revenue source ). A park where you own the land is definitely a safer bet IMHO. I don't personally know of any here, but I'm sure a realtor would be able to help.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
^^^^There used to be a mobile home park across from the airport on Tropicana, many homeowners held on to their properties but finally sold out and got a million dollars each if I remember correctly.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM

207 posts, read 508,653 times
There are mobile home parks that offer subsidized lot rents, but you'd have to qualify for it.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I believe there's 4 parks in Las Vegas were you own the land under your trailer. The 2 I know of are near DI/Cabana/Sam's Town, Desert Inn Estates I & II. Association fees I believe are $50-$100.
Royal Ridge on Decatur north of Trop. Some with really good strip views.

There is also a whole neighborhood south of Craig between Rainbow and Rancho

Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
^^^Royal Ridge not only have Strip views but the residents have a view of the beautiful Charlie Frias Park in Spring Valley as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: