Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,518,176 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of the non-cookie cutter homes all around the valley and I've taken so many photos of those homes, I'll post it here when I get a chance. In Spring Valley alone there are loads of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM

557 posts, read 799,194 times
Hardly cookie cutter homes.
Blue Heron News

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM

934 posts, read 2,363,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
America West builds there big models with basements often. The AW tracts between Cheyenne and Alexander west of Durango have them in many.

They are also common in the Mormon homes in Lone Mountain. Caliche does exist but is not that common.
American West also has basements in some of its homes in Coronado Ranch, near Rainbow and Robindale.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,984,294 times
Not all are cookie cutter nor uninteresting. Of course, these may be outside your price range.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM

557 posts, read 799,194 times
Looks a lot like Blue Heron I posted above.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,232,483 times
Nothing says character like my old neighborhood that I grew up in. And I literally mean "old" neighborhood. That also comes with the termites, dry rot wood, mildew and anything else that a house built in the late 1800s to early 1900s would have. Also at double and triple the average cost of a Vegas home.

The home I grew up in was built in 1919. My other family members lived in homes built even earlier.I spent a lot of my years fixing, repairing and maintaining those homes with my dad and uncles. I will take a modern cookie cutter home any day over those old character homes. Yes they are nice to look at but cost $$$$$$$$$$$.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM

15,971 posts, read 14,671,001 times
Really? Other than the brick exteriors (which may be a regional think with TX, like Stucco is in NV and AZ), I see nothing in these houses with more character then what you see in LV. They look VERY standard issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
I agree with you fully.

I'm from Texas. Homes there are so much nicer! Just take a look at dallas/ft worth homes on Trulia. The property taxes are a little higher, but you can have a beautiful home for $130,000 with a huge green yard, in a metroplex filled with many more jobs paying higher than Vegas average.

Exhibit A: 13109 Harvest Ridge Road, Fort Worth TX - Trulia

Exhibit B: 2129 Burnside Drive, Fort Worth TX - Trulia

I have no idea why I haven't moved back yet.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 AM

15,971 posts, read 14,671,001 times
LVOC brought up Levittown. I grew up in the original Levitt development on Long Island. Originally there were four models, and all the copies were exactly alike. Now, after 60 years, they've been renovated/expanded into being different. A lot of them do have character. Is it desirable character? Some yes, some no.

Generally, if you want a unique house, with whatever you consider "character", either you're need to go old, and likely have a lot of aged out/substandard systems and decor which you'll likely have to renovate, old and renovated, which is likely to be expensive, custom, which is always expensive, or some combination thereof. Most of Vegas is new, and most of the housing mass produced. So you get a lot of good, functional, up to date housing, but, yes, cookie cutter.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,915,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Really? Other than the brick exteriors (which may be a regional think with TX, like Stucco is in NV and AZ), I see nothing in these houses with more character then what you see in LV. They look VERY standard issue.
And in Las Vegas you get another 35,000 or $40,000 in house. Property taxes in TX are more than twice NV.

Don't bet on making a lot more money either. The median family income is within a couple of grand between Las Vegas and Dallas.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,105,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
help me out with a neighborhood. I once worked a private chef gig somewhere near downtown. It had winding streets, incredibly mature landscaping, and very, very nice houses. They weren't big houses. But they were very nice. The whole neighborhood looks like it was lifted straight out of "Leave it to Beaver" and dropped near Fremont. It is one of the old neighborhoods -- 1950s, I'm guessing. That's a great area. And it's within a five-iron shot of the Stratosphere. What's that area called?

C'mon. Y'all are supposedly the real estate experts in this town. What is this neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas