Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,698 times

Advertisements

Does everyone in Vegas live in those housing communities where all the homes look the same? Are there neighborhoods where the houses aren't part of those gated communities, preferably within driving distance of the strip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
I'll go out on a limb here and say that most of the communities where the houses look the same (these are called "Master Plan communities") began in Las Vegas around the mid 80's and have been the predominant form of housing construction ever since. The wife and I recently bought a house in one of the first such communities build on the west side of Las Vegas "The Lakes" and could not be happier. This community is not gated. Many such communities in Las Vegas are not gated.

There is, however, much more to Las Vegas housing than the modern Master Plan communities. A friend of ours who moved out to Las Vegas earlier this year purchased a beautiful home on Campbell Drive 89102. The house was built in the mid/late 60's but has been completely updated. It sits on 1/2 acre lot. His wife works on the Strip and enjoys a short commute. They could not be happier.

From what I found while researching Las Vegas many of the communities closer the strip area what you may call "conventional" homes built in the 60's and 70's and offer larger lots. The communities are not Master Planned and the houses can be quite unique.

I'm sure others will chime in with more details.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarren40 View Post
Does everyone in Vegas live in those housing communities where all the homes look the same? Are there neighborhoods where the houses aren't part of those gated communities, preferably within driving distance of the strip?
Every single home is within driving distance of the strip.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Even the ones in Nome alaska are within driving distance of the strip....

Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,844 times
Quote:
As others noted:
1) Most of the newer homes are part of developments.
2) I'd say 25% or less are gated.
3) Virtually any residence in North or South America is within driving distance.
4) You need to put parameters on your questions.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
As everyone has said, everything is within driving distance of the strip. You can buy a house in Los Angeles and be within driving distance of the strip.

As for the houses looking the same, depends on where you buy. In most of the "master planned" communities, every house looks like it was whacked with a clone stick. (And in some communities, even the residents look like they were whacked with a clone stick.)

But it's easy enough to find older developments that have a little individuality while still maintaining a sense of cohesion. And then you have areas like Los Feliz Drive, where you've got a Japanese Pagoda, next to a Spanish Colonial, sitting next to something that looks straight out of an Addams Family movie.

I prefer that to the "clone stick" houses. But it's going to be a little more difficult to find someone who wants to live in a Pagoda that's next to a concrete geodesic dome, which is next to a bauhaus design.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
All I want to know, is how the HELL do you find your house, when you come home drunk!!!!

Jonathan

Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
All I want to know, is how the HELL do you find your house, when you come home drunk!!!!
Paint it fluorescent orange.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Definitely paint it orange... HOA's LOVE that!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
You are all sort of correct, but off by about 30 years or so. From what I've seen in the last 47 years, which didn't start the day I arrived, BTW, MOST of the homes/developments in Las Vegas were built by developers with three or four elevation plans in their briefcase. MOST of the architecture here has a California influence. Our most important early architects came here from California. I think the real development started in the 1950's, but it may have been earlier. By 1964, Charleston Heights was showing some maturity.

There are plenty of "custom" homes here, but I'd bet it's no more than 10%. A lot of the older homes on large lots are mid-mod, and designed bu one guy.

Here, as in California, it is customary for developers to buy acreage and build model homes, and take orders for whichever model you like best, and whichever lot you prefer. Some lots come with lot premiums. Some models won't fit on all lots, so you might have to pick a different lot, or a different model. The gate is a way for builders to make homes look more valuable so they can ask for higher prices. But, without getting into whether they provide better security or privacy, some people like them. Sometimes the amount of land under development is large enough to at least make it look like more than one community with various models to choose from. And some of those are actually different developers building whole neighborhoods side by side with each other and call it a planned community, adding shopping, etc.

In other cities I have lived in, it is customary for builders to buy one lot at a time and build "spec" homes. In Albuquerque they do it both ways. There have been some spec homes built here, but it is apparently risky, and not a lot of builders do it. Our community was built by a builder that specializes in custom homes, and this was the first community that he attempted. There are four basic models, and they are called semi-custom because you had so many options for upgrades, etc. (As long as it was a southwest style upgrade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas